ITP C9R, anyone have one?

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Looks like a very cool light, wondering if its a forward or revese clicky? I coudlnt find this in the specs. Also is it bright? LED color? Yellow/warm, green, blue/pruple or bright white? I think Iam going to grab one.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
I have an ITP C9R and it is a neat little EDC and it puts out a lot of light and throws a surprisingly good beam. I like the infinitely variable light level and it is pretty easy to switch to strobe or SOS by soft pressing the tailcap switch. It's a clicky, and doesn't have a momentary function, so I think that it's a reverse clicky. Mine seems to have kind of a bright white light. I didn't expect to like it and was going to give it away, but I have kept it. I bought a C7 body, so I can switch the head and use AA's. I carry it in a jacket pocket, sometimes, with one C123 and it is hardly noticeable. I have a lot of lights and this one holds it's own as a bright, handy, little light.

Last edited:

travelinman

Enlightened
i swap the reflector to McR17XRE + UCL and :wow:
Not sure I follow you. Sorry for the ignorance but I still consider myself a neophyte. What with the constant upgrading and new products, don't know if I will ever be an expert. :sigh:

I gather the McR17XRE is a reflector, where can I obtain one? Does it need adapting or is it "drop in"?

What is a UCL?

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I follow you. Sorry for the ignorance but I still consider myself a neophyte. What with the constant upgrading and new products, don't know if I will ever be an expert. :sigh:

I gather the McR17XRE is a reflector, where can I obtain one? Does it need adapting or is it "drop in"?

What is a UCL?

The 17mm reflector is a direct replacement but you need to wrap some tape around it to avoid wobbling or add a o-ring that fit - http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_50_64

Here is the UCL charts ( Ultra Clear Lens ) - http://www.flashlightlens.com/str/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=apps_specs

travelinman

Enlightened
Great! Thanks, didn't even know this kind of stuff existed! lovecpf

Does the head of the C9 come apart easily?

and please define "wow" as the result of the new reflector and lens? :thanks:

Last edited:

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info guys! Looks like I will pick up the T version for a forward cclicky.Thanks again!
Matt

LightCannon

Enlightened
Great! Thanks, didn't even know this kind of stuff existed! lovecpf

Does the head of the C9 come apart easily?

and please define "wow" as the result of the new reflector and lens? :thanks:
If you're relatively new to this, I wouldn't recommend modding your lights. You never know if you'll accidentally screw something up.

As for the reflector/lens upgrades: I don't know how the reflector will affect the beam profile, but the UCL will transmit a few extra %s of light through it. Not worth it, in my eyes, although YMMV.

travelinman

Enlightened
Yah, that's why I was wondering what nanotech17 was meaning by wow? I really like the beam and profile of the C9/8/7! It seems just about perfect, a nice clean hotspot about 12" wide @ 10', and a clean spill about 8' wide @ 10'. Not much light "wasted" on a wide spill but enough to light up a room. Great for indoors. :twothumbs

DArklite

Enlightened
I received mine a few days after Selfbuilt's review - It's a great light and only wish more manufacturers would take interest in the continuously variable UI. Loosen the head, tighten when you have the brightness you'll most likely use, and it remembers. Nice white intense spot beam with a good and somewhat warm spill, all in a compact and robust form factor. The inner half of the reflector nearest the emitter is a medium+ orange peel (stippled?) while the reflector's outer half is smooth for a beam without rings and good throw and spill. What's not to like?
I also picked up the 2xAA extension tube at the same time, but haven't used it.. typical flashaholic syndrome - I like the single CR123 size of the light!

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is the beamshot with McR17XRE ( it's on the left )
It's not a throwy but i just love the spill and no visible cree rings.
P6180917.jpg

timcook

Newly Enlightened
Can someone explain how to take the head of the c7/8/9 apart? I've seen a few people (like Nanotech17 in this thread) mention changing the reflector, but I can't figure out a simple way to get at it. The tailcap has two indents that I'm assuming let you unscrew it with needlenose pliers but I don't see anything like that on the head.

Thanks

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I ended up getting both a c9r and the c10t I like everything about them except....

The spot is so tight its actually smaller than any other light I have in this size/power range. It throws but its so small its not as useful. The spill is ok.

My biggest complaint would be their just not that bright compared to other lights in this size/power/price range. There not bad just not as bright. The color is ok leaning towards blue/purple.

You can not switch the c10t model tailcap onto the c9r to get a clicky, I could not find a c9t for sale.

Overall I love the design and CI, pretty decent light for the price.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine.....and remember you cant mix the R's with the T's.......Mine is bright, what battery are you using. Another great an inexpensive light you might also want to consider is the SA1.......its a bit of a thrower with its R2 emitter and smooth reflector.

p1050812o.jpg

Last edited:

timcook

Newly Enlightened
Nanotech, I forgot to thank you, so... thanks :twothumbs

I had tried unscrewing it there, couldn't get it to budge and figured I may just end up breaking it. I didn't anticipate it having loctite or whatever is holding it together and thought there was a different way in. No real changes planned yet, but it's nice to be able to strip it down completely and see how it's all put together. Plus now I can mess with it down the road once I learn more...

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
two strap wrenches may help. The bezel is difficult to loosen.
I've got an xpe of 4b tint, perfect colour imho, so my beam is a nice soft yellow.

shark_za

Enlightened
I love mine.....and remember you cant mix the R's with the T's.......

This is not entirely true as you can use any body or tailcap with any head C7/8/9.
The 9 is a 1 piece body and cap and I have only ever seen it in reverse clicky format.

It can be used with the T model (I have C7/8T) or R.

The "issue" comes in using a forward clicky with a multimode R head.
This is not intuitive but it can be done if you want.
You have to half press to select the mode and then lock on.

Reverse clicky is just better to use for a multimode light.
Click on and tap between modes.