Been carrying my Nuwai Q3 for Years, I need an UpGrade!

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
I really have no complaints with the Q3 but,,, things must have improved since these were the best choice for me....

I would like to stay with the same approximate size (2-CR123 lights are too big for the "pocket")

I like a push button cap over "twisties".

NOT into a Hi/Med/Lo or "strobe" sw. I just want On/Off :)

Looking for the brightest light I can get, in a Q3 size, without spending $50.00.

Could someone with an understanding of current products point me in the right direction?

TIA

rje58

Enlightened
I really like my Romisen RC-A4 that I got from ShiningBeam.com. Less than $25.

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
Yup, that looks like something I had in mind....

Funny the way they say "Works fine with the rechargable 123 but Not recomended from the manufacturer" ;)

Thx

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could program a Quark 123 Tactical so it is one mode. Head tight, program for Max...head loose, program for max. With the CPF8 discount, the Cree XP-G R5 equipped light costs $54.28 shipped. Very bright light, HA-III, CR123A battery and all the goodies.

You could also go with a Quark AA Tactical and run one AA battery. If you want screaming bright, throw a 14500 protected rechargable lithium-ion in the puppy. The QAA version runs on NiMH, alkaline, 1.7V lithium AAs and the 3.6V 14500 lithium-ion. The Quark AA Tactical is $52.44 shipped.

Welcome back to CPF and it is this way to see what a Cree XP-G R5 compares to a Luxeon...you will be shocked.

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
I like both of those, does the AA version also have the ability to program for Max only?

I have No Experience with 14500's. What would be the best ones to get (I had some pretty "crummy" RCR123's ;) )

LightCannon

Enlightened
I like both of those, does the AA version also have the ability to program for Max only?

I have No Experience with 14500's. What would be the best ones to get (I had some pretty "crummy" RCR123's ;) )
All Quark Tactical models have the program ability.

The best 14500s are the AW "Black Label" cells, and their price tag shows it. Trustfire protected 14500s off of DX work just fine, IMHO.

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
K, I think it was DX where I got those "crummy" R123's. I'll look for the TrustFires there though :)

Thx

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trustfire protected 14500s off of DX work just fine, IMHO.
I'll look for the TrustFires there though :)
WARNING
Trustfire and Ultrafire protected 14500 are big and do not fit my Ultrafire 10440/14500 charger. There are no problems with AW 14500.
I ended up using my 18650 charger.

Trustfire batteries are sold through DX.

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I know I've got a problem ;)

Couldn't choose, they ALL looked like I wanted to try 'em, SO,,,,, I ordered them ALL!

RC-M4 -> http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-165/Romisen-RC-dsh-A4-X-Cree/Detail (Fit the bill)

RC-C3 -> http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-66/Romisen-RC-dsh-C3-Cree-Q5/Detail (twisty but really cheap)

RC-C6 -> http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-181/Romisen-RC-dsh-C6-II-WW/Detail (looked too interesting...)

Quark AA -> http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=1597 (yea, more than I wanted to spend, but...)

And, as for batteries, went overboard there too.

From DX Trustfire with their "black label" 18650/14500/16340's (we'll see how they compare)

AND from AW the same assortment of batteries (yea, I know, they're stupid expensive compared to DX but, if I use them over the next two years, who cares about the extra $10 they cost )

And, you know, Christmas is coming and I'll just give any ones I'm not impressed with, away! :)

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
So, they're all in and I've been playing with them over the weekend...

First, no question, that Quark AA is IT! More money than I wanted to spend (I HATE losing an expensive light..) but, Really well thought-out, intuitive, and simple to use (though it has "toys" too) I'll be buying more of these...

I really like the AA format, great runtime, easy battery replacements anywhere you go, yet with the 14500 it has some CR123 performance! Small and easy to hold in your mouth when you're working (I do this a LOT..) I'm Very Happy with it!!

Next I like the Romsien C6, it has an interesting adjustable head that works very well too.

The A4 is pretty good too but I always remove those clips (nice engineering on the Quark btw ;)) but the Romisens is a "clunky" design and I think I'll chuck it in the lathe and cut the back ring, that held the clip, off because it's just wrong...

The C3, for having the same emitter and battery is a disappointment compared to all the others. No ways near as bright. This goes into someone stocking :) I'll keep the rest!

Thanks for all the advice & help with this, now I feel UpGraded !

Last edited:

shortstack

Enlightened
Great that you found the light that fits the bill. I personally like clips, you know where you light is, you wont have to dig in your pocket trying to find the light. Which is what you want for an emergency. quarks are great lights too

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you upgraded your QIII? It's lots of fun!
Glass lens
Better driver
More efficient and more powerful emitters
Smooth reflectors
GITD o_rings and tailcap boots.

I got rid of my QIII for an 18650 light that's only slightly longer and much thinner for easy pocket carry. 18650 is the way to go for long time power.

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
I have a drawer full of QIII's :) I always got glass for them but would be interested in better emmiters - what do you suggest?

I do have 18650 "throwers" (SSC P7) Very Impressive, but way too big for the "pocket". I haven't seen one I thought I'd like to carry there.

I also ordered that X2000 while I was at it @ DX ;) -we'll see what that's like....