DeWalt 12v flashlight + Nite Ize 1W PR dropin

bobo383

Newly Enlightened
I have a DeWalt 12V flashlight (DW904) that takes tool batteries, but in stock form it didn't run very long long and the beam went orange pretty quick.

I had a Nite-Ize LRB-07-PR1W drop-in that had "2-6 cells" on the side, and tried it out. It definitely runs a looooooong time now on one charged batt. It has not gone :poof: yet even with batts fresh off the charger. Definitely an improvement over stock, but not a barnburner by any means.

I lasts a couple weeks as a bedside lamp, 2-3 hours a night, before it gets too dim to use. It's OK for outside use as well, but It's a spot/throw beam as it was with the incan bulb. I could use a floody one instead.

Any better ideas? I'm happy with the runtme and brightness but would like a more floody beam. The plastic assembly won't take much heat, either.

sleepy120

Newly Enlightened
Use a plastic defuseing lens cap should do the trick.

I have a 14.4v bosch flashlight modded with 3xcree's (i think p4's) and it works great.Having 3 cree drop-ins in series will give a better voltage match to each led, which eliminates wasted heat/power/battery). I've also replaced the crap plastic lens with a thin glass one. This thing doesn't even get warm.

I have made 2 lens covers from used milk bottle containers that are opaque and defuse the flood nicely.

The first one is straight on the lens of the torch for directional defusing. The other is a longer cylinder attached to the lens, with a reflective cone inside (much like a solar garden light) which give me an all-round defused light.

Hope that helps.