Looking for pocket flashlight for geocaching.

pilkro

Newly Enlightened
I've always loved flashlights, but only just now found this forum.

Last night I was out doing some night geocaching through some thick brush with some crap $5 LED. I managed to find about 8 of the 12 I was looking for, so I'm going to place the blame on my flashlight for the rest.

So, having read over the forums for the last half hour, I think this is what I'm looking for:

A floody light in the 20-30 dollar range that can fit into my jeans pocket without looking like I'm trying to recreate the Spinal Tap airport scene. Ideally, battery life shouldn't matter as long as it's using off-the-shelf batteries, but if it takes batteries that you need to buy online or from a special shop, they should last as long as possible.

:devil:
For extra credit, it should be super-duper bright when surprise shining it into my brother's eyes to pay him back for all the times he has done this to me with his $80 flashlight he bought a few years back. I'm sorry I don't know what he has, and I can't ask him because that would ruin the surprise.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
:devil:
For extra credit, it should be super-duper bright when surprise shining it into my brother's eyes to pay him back for all the times he has done this to me with his $80 flashlight he bought a few years back. I'm sorry I don't know what he has, and I can't ask him because that would ruin the surprise.

LOL...gotta love a vindictive sister........go for something with a CREE emitter from Sprawl Mart or Target'...Or look for a Dorcy or Husky from Lowes't or Home Despot-something around 165-400 lumens should get your point across..let the blinding begin!:cool:
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-104-41-4297-160-lumens-6-watt-3aaa-k2.aspx
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-219-41-4289-200-lumens-tactical-6-watt-3-aaa-cree.aspx

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the 20-30 $ range really narrows it down quality wise.

I would say that you are looking for something with a neutral or warm LED. Neutral/warm refers to color temperature of the light emitted, 1000*Kelvin being the red end of the spectrum, 10,000*Kelvin being the blue end. Neutral/warm LED's will help distinguish between colors at longer distances, and look more like incandescent light. Cold LED's usually come with lights, unless otherwise specified.

If you could raise your price range into the 50-60 $ range, you would have a lot more quality options available.

But for your original price range I would suggest something along the lines of the 4Sevens Quark Mini. It isn't available at the moment (I think they are taking pre-orders). Both the CR123 and AA models cost $39, but 4Sevens seems to be building a good product at a good price point, and they have a good warranty and customer service.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I too am a fellow Geocacher and really enjoy combining these two hobbies. In my experience, a SureFire A2 Aviator is about the very best for Geocaching. It has low output LEDs for low light levels (stealth, signing log book, etc.), and a nice bright, white incandescent main beam for searching around the woods. I've also found that incans work MUCH BETTER than LEDs for use in the woods do to their better color rendition.

Anyway, if you can fill out our recommendation checklist, we will be better able to give you recommendations:

Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

-Robert

ionizedsky

Enlightened
I think a nice four sevens (www.4sevens.com) Quark 2x AA tactical with new Cree XP-G R5 going for $59.00 dollars would fit the bill for simplicity and cost effective on batteries for the budding flashoholic in you. Gives you 206 lumens for 1.3 hours and also has a 2 stage programmable head just by tightening and loosening the head a bit for longer run times or if you want to strobe your brother:duck:

:welcome: Your home!

pilkro

Newly Enlightened

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__X_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
__X_I am in North America. More precisely I am in Birmingham, Michigan.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X_I can spend $15-30.
__X_I could spend $40-60.

2) Format:

__X_I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

__X__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

__X_I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

__X_I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X_I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__X_I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__X_I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
__X_I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|---------------X-----Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__X_60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
__X_Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__X_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

__X_I don't care.
__X_I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__X_I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

__X_I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

_X__A simple on-off is fine for me.
_X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

_X__I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
_X__Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput

Floody is very good for finnal search but dont forget the walk there looking for clues or reflectors on trees finding the right path, some throw will also be very usefull.
I allways have a small ish torch when caching in the day for looking in to tree stumps and under rocks and logs ect.

Happy caching

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think perhaps an ICON Rogue 1 would fit most of your needs and comes in within your price range as well.

Otherwise, you might also give the Fenix LD10 a look.

Floody is very good for finnal search but dont forget the walk there looking for clues or reflectors on trees finding the right path, some throw will also be very usefull.
I allways have a small ish torch when caching in the day for looking in to tree stumps and under rocks and logs ect.

Happy caching

I agree, I've used a flashlight numerous times during the day when searching for caches.

-Robert

Last edited:

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I agree with some of the above posters that it might be important to have some throw in your new flashlight. A friend of mine likes geocaching (at night) and i know he prefers lights that have more throw than spill when he searches for distant markers. He actually uses a headlamp for area lighting and his flashlight for spotting things at distance. It's a combination that seems to work really well.

Trond

Newly Enlightened
Hey.
I am also a geocacher and I am also new to this forum.
Right now I use Fenix PD30+ (R2) for geocaching.

I want another smaller light that I can always have on me.
And use when I dont have the PD30 with me.
I think I might buy the 4Sevens Quark Mini 123
Maybe I'll commit to the neutral tint version.

Also they are making a Quark Mini AA neutral tint.
Maybe that one is something for you.
But it might be to late to get that one, I'm not shure.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Geocaching can sure get you into some dark places for sure. I used a River Rock headlamp and a Surefire G2 on this one.

f1966a13-a6e0-4862-b6e0-0c6520fca898.jpg

60812e64-7fbf-4a5f-8f1a-394830270f4a.jpg

64121edc-0ec8-41f4-83a5-a711ccf9ab3d.jpg

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Yes they can take you to some intresting places.
I have been lucky enough to do the highest in England, Scotland, Wales and the most remote in the UK which is on dartmoor and involved an overnight camp in the middle of nowhere so yes a good all round torch is esential, maybe even a small head torch like one of the petzl's will be very usefull I know mine is.
9b00796a-efbe-499f-8365-933defccf2c8.jpg

Our wild camp about 5or 6 miles from the nearest road and surrounded by peat bogs on all sides.
I think I must be mad because ive done all those caches twice now.:sick2:

birdog

Newly Enlightened
Pilkro, I use a ITP EOS AAA and a Maratac. They are cheap ($20) and the three levels cover most needs. I've found that hunting for reflector tacks is easier if you don't light up the whole forest, and writing in a log with the low level doesn't attract much attention.

Your GPSr probably uses AA batteries--if so then why not take a look at the brand new ITP EOS AA version?

And when you are ready to poke your brother in the eye; he won't believe that something so small can be so bright.:poof:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Another geocacher here. A bit above the stated budget, but my advice would be one of the Nitecore D10 versions. No need to get the latest R2, if money is tight a pre-owned Q5 will suffice into getting you on the game of modern flashlights, bringing good performance, interesting technology (infinitely variable, piston switching, modern LED, battery options), all in a common AA format. Good high, and a very good long-running low. Probably your GPS will also be powered by AA batts... You can use alkaline, lithium or rechargeables. Not the floodiest around, but has a nice general use beam. Being thin and light, it's very easy to hold in your mouth while writing the logbook.

Even a simple Nitecore EZAA is very nice and small, no need to make things complicated.

birdog

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm Pilkro, let's see "you might be a flashoholic if.....you ever used any of these phrases"

1. Just had to have one to use right away

2. Didn't have what I wanted/considered/discussed

3. works fine but...

4. There are others that may have features I would like

can't forget from your 1st post...

5. if you've ever used the term "crap $5 flashlight"

Looks like you got it bad

That Dorcy will work great,but it won't be your last

Pilkro...the comments already posted byothers offer excellent suggestions. My comment focuses on three of the elements you requested in your ideal light: a flood beam, good run time, and a reasonable price.

FLOOD BEAM. You might want to investigate the Inova model X5. It uses five low-power LED's in a cluster to produce a satisfying flood beam. It uses 2 CR123 lithium primary cells, which yield about 8 hours of run time. The light is extraordinarily solid in construction. Is is by no means the brightest light out there, but it will produce an even flood beam usable to a distance of about 50 feet. (I've heard but can't verify that Inova has upgraded the X5 to produce about 80 lumens of light.) The X5 is 4-5/8 inches x 7/8 inches; it weighs 3.5 ounces (100g) with batteries.

WIDE HOTSPOT (but not a true flood). It's not my intent to promote any one particular brand, but Inova also makes model XO, which might also be of interest to you. It is a 2x123 light also. It's brighter that the X5, and will last about 5 hours on fresh lithium primaries. (The XO produces about 100 lumens.) It has a "wide spot" beam (an oxymoron, I know), which nevertheless seems to match the specifications you requested, and offers greater throw than the X5. The XO measures 5-1/4 inches long x 3/4 inch (body diameter) / 1-1/16 inch (head diameter). It weighs 4.25 ounces (120g) with batteries.

COSTS. The X5 sells for about $40; the XO for about $45. Both lights are carried by Target, although availability varies from store to store. Both are also occasionally on sale. You can also likely find them online.

HEADLAMPS. Finally there are headlamps to consider. Zebralight makes several lightweight headlamps that produce a "pure flood" beam pattern. 4Sevens sells all of the versions; other sites may offer this brand, but 4Sevens is among the most reliable and reputable falshacholic enablers (oops, I meant to write merchants) on the web. :broke:

Good luck with your investigation, and please let us know what light(s) you chose, and later, how it (or they) have worked for you.