Getting new computer, need help on video card.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to get a new computer (nothing too fancy) and I can't decide on what video card to get. My budget for this piece is around 150CAD (roughly 110USD). In all honesty, this will probably play some games but not a lot (maybe 4 hrs a week). I'm looking for something kind of basic but can deliver some performance when called upon.

I've looked at the GeforceFX 5200s and the price looks pretty attractive. Are there any other suggestions say from the ATI (their video card family is huge and I don't know where to start) or maybe the other Geforce4 / MX440?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most modern games are written for the NVidia, though ATI works well. I have an ATI XPert 2000 Pro AGP in my system, and I am pleased with it. I got it via eBay, which is a good place to look around. NVidias are notoriously expensive.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree on the statement of the Nvidias being notoriously expensive. The very top of the line ones are yes, likewise for top of line Radeons but both Nvidia and ATI have several good price/performance cards. For the poster's price point, he should be able to find a very suitable card for his needs whether it be a Nvidia FX/MX or one of the not quite state of the art Radeons. Possibly even a Geforce 4 TI4200 which would more then meet the requirements. In fact that's my personal recommendation, to see if a Geforce 4 TI4200 can be had for the stated budget.

star882

Enlightened
I'd go with
290603-ATI.JPG

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get something like a GeForce 4 FX5200 (Gainward) for $100... And conversely, you can get a Radeon 9200 for about the same price...

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I've decided to up my limit to $200CAD and there's one card that falls nicely in there with a little room to spare. What's everyone's opinion of the Geforce4 Ti4200 128mb?

It seems like a very capable card but I know I'm giving up DirectX 9 compatability. Is DirectX 9 such a big thing anyways?

Also, is there a Radeon card that is approximately equal to this card in price and performace?

Thanks again,
Daniel

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radeon 9200 128MB VIVO,
The 9200 looks great, it has 128MB of DDR and has video in/video out. $99 shipped in the US. Not sure if newegg.com ships to Canada. The Video in is nice so you can import things into your computer and post some cool shots on the forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
ATI Radeon 9200 vs. 9000 PRO

Thanks BentHead.

I was looking at that Radeon card too as it was still within my $200CAD budget. I'm buying from a shop that I've known for many years and they've been good friends so I'd feel kind of bad by getting my stuff elsewhere.

The video in is no big deal as not once have I ever needed to import video into my computer. And my other computer's got firewire for the video camera.

The 9200 is interesting...but what about the 9000 PRO? It's roughly around the same price.

Thanks,
Daniel

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ATI Radeon 9200 vs. 9000 PRO

dw, if you're a little brave, you can do what my brother did:

Buy a Ti4200, and overclock it to the same performance of a Ti4600... All for a lower price... The NVidia cards are pretty easy to overclock, and with the new Detonator drivers, they're a snap to do.

It's frustrating to go to an electronics store like Fry's and hear people talk about buying the top of the line video card, when they can buy another card that's underclocked intentionally by the manufacturer for almost $100 less or more, and increase the GPU clock and memory speeds to that of the more expensive board...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

All I can say is I have a TI4200 card and it's served me fine thus far. It hopefully will still be adequate when Half Life II and Doom III come out this fall.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Falcon, I'll think about that route.

But one main concern of mine is will buying a Geforce4 now be a bad idea in terms of longetivity? I mean, I don't do much gaming but when I do, I'd like to have some good graphics (doesn't everybody). Since games are starting to use DX9, will I be losing out by only getting a DX8.1 board?

Should I stick with the Ti4200 128mb or should I spend a little more and get say a GeforceFX 5600 128mb? Will DX9 make a big impact in the future?

Thanks,
Daniel

star882

Enlightened

"But one main concern of mine is will buying a Geforce4 now be a bad idea in terms of longetivity?"
I have a GeForce 4 MX 420 64MB, and I get only 68FPS in Fear Factor(a video card benchmark) @ 1024x768x32.
Considering that a Radeon 9700 Pro can get well over 300FPS in Fear Factor with the same settings, the GeForce 4s are getting outdated.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened

I've been thinking this over and asking some friends and I've decided to get a Ti4200 128MB. Why? Well it's a faily decent card at a pretty good price. It may not have all the bells and whistles but frankly, I don't got the cash on hand to afford such a nice graphics card.

There's some overclocking potential there too but I probably won't deal with that aspect till later.

Thanks to all for ur opinions and recommendations.

Cheers,
Daniel