Solarforce L2 vs. L2M

JohnF

Enlightened
I know the L2M is one CR123 - will the extension tube for the L2 (taking it to 2xCR123) work with the L2M?

What about other L2 accessories (like the smooth head, forward clicky switch, etc)? For that matter, what is the difference between the L2 and L2M?

What is the difference between the L2M and the L2? Just received the Nichia UV dropin for the L2M, but want to run 2xCR123's instead of a single. Thanks,

John F

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
The L2m with the extension is functionally identical to the L2. Heads are identical, all the options are interchangable.

I have to say though, my favorite is the L2P, the new hard annodized one. The tail stand capability and the much less agressive crenulation, as well as the far superior finish make it worth a few more bucks to me. It's also about 1/2" shorter, but most of that is button and the smaller crenulation.

Now I just wish they would make a L2mP :)

rje58

Enlightened
The only difference between the L2 and the L2m that I have found is the length of the tube - 2xCR123 vs. 1xCR123. Everything else is interchangeable...

Be aware of the voltage range for drop-ins! I haven't found any drop-ins that run safely and effectively in both 1xCR123 (3v) and 2xCR123 (6v). You can run some of low-voltage drop-ins 2xCR123 for a little while, but how long until they go "poof!"?

I know the L2M is one CR123 - will the extension tube for the L2 (taking it to 2xCR123) work with the L2M?

What about other L2 accessories (like the smooth head, forward clicky switch, etc)? For that matter, what is the difference between the L2 and L2M?

What is the difference between the L2M and the L2? Just received the Nichia UV dropin for the L2M, but want to run 2xCR123's instead of a single. Thanks,

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened
The thread area of the back of the L2m is shorter so the extension seems to make contact on the threads rather than on the contact edge.
But contact is still good and I dont have any issues.

JohnF

Enlightened
Thanks for your help. The Nichia UV drop-in from nailbender is labeled '3v-6v', so as long as I don't use Li-on rechargeables it should be OK with 2 x CR123a's, right? I noticed there is a large difference in UV output between a single CR123a and a 3.7v Li-on (actually about 4.05v off the charger) so I'm kind of wanting to run at or near 6v.

Let me know if I'm wrong...

John F

rje58

Enlightened
You're right, if the drop-in is labelled '3v-6v' you should be fine with 1xCR123 or 2xCR123... those are the first drop-ins I've heard of with that particular voltage range... but I'm certainly no expert.

JohnF

Enlightened
You're right, if the drop-in is labelled '3v-6v' you should be fine with 1xCR123 or 2xCR123... those are the first drop-ins I've heard of with that particular voltage range... but I'm certainly no expert.

Oh, crap, I just re-read the label, it is 3.7 - 6v. No wonder it was dim with a CR123a (3v). Well, it should still be good with 2xCR123a's.

Now, must get to the Malkoff site to spend more money... spend more money...

John F

jake25

Enlightened
The L2m also comes in varying diameters to fit 16mm and 18mm cells. The 2009 L2m is bored to 18mm for use of 18650s w/ proper extension, L2-ECR.

JohnF

Enlightened
Mine is 18mm, so must be a new one. Extension is ordered... Thanks,

John F

JohnF

Enlightened
The L2m also comes in varying diameters to fit 16mm and 18mm cells. The 2009 L2m is bored to 18mm for use of 18650s w/ proper extension, L2-ECR.

L2-ECR? Lighthound shows L2-E18 as an extension tube for 18650. Can you explain please? I don't want to order the wrong thing... Thanks,

John F

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2-ECR? Lighthound shows L2-E18 as an extension tube for 18650. Can you explain please? I don't want to order the wrong thing... Thanks,
John F
LOL, John.. a dealer is helping you out, then you say you're ordering from his competition. :crackup:

JohnF

Enlightened
LOL, John.. a dealer is helping you out, then you say you're ordering from his competition. :crackup:

I was under the impression (from the world-class banner) that he/she represented the manufacturer, not just an unaffiliated dealer. I didn't say I was ordering anything from anyone, but I did get what little info I had on Solarforce accessories from the Lighthound site. I'm not trying to **** anyone off, just asked about a specific part that I had conflicting info on. I'm happy to order from anyone that'll give me the proper info.

You OK with that?

John F

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
You OK with that?
it wasn't that I was not OK with what you said.. just made a humorous observation.

the L2-ECR adds on the capacity to use 1 more CR123A.. so.. adding that to a L2m would give you a 18650 or 2x123A light.

adding on a 1x18650 adapter like you spoke of would give you a 1x18650 + 1xcr123a light.. or a 3xcr123a light.

JohnF

Enlightened
Thanks, think I'll order the ECR extension for 2xCR123 or 18650 capability, as well as the pocket clip and a smooth bezel. I'm amazed at the decent quality of these things for as cheap as they are. It'll never be confused with a SF, but with a large number of options and low prices, it seems like a no lose. Waiting for a reply from nailbender about a high CRI SST-50 drop in, sounds like I can't live without that...

John F

Latest posts