Small Emergency Pack

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I carry a backpack with me most of the time and I'm carrying a small emergency pack about the size of a 355 ml can.

These are what I have in it:
HEAT Factory Hand Warmer
Emergency Blanket
Swiss Army Knife
Bandages
Petzl e+LITE Headlamp

I'm thinking of replacing the headlamp with something else but being a flashlight guy, I normally carry some kind of flashlight and though a headlamp would be a good back up.

Anyone carry a small emergency pack with you and do you mind sharing what you have in them?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely carry an emergency package in my backpack, which goes with me everywhere. However mine isn't too small. Mine's about 2 liters in volume. Let's see I'll list off contents at random...

Inside mine I have and extra set of warm socks, acrylic beanie hat, fleece gloves, silk baselayer shirt, an extra change of breifs, rain poncho, sunglasses, emergency thermal blanket, handwarmers, a couple bandanas, compass, signal mirror, whistle, water purification tabs, a bit of spare change ~$1.50, matches, flint & steel and magnesium, a bit of paper and pencil, 25 feet of paracord, 6 feet of tubular webbing, a small scrape first aid kit, Swisstool, Jetbeam C-LE 1AA twisty and extra cells, CPR pocket mask.

Probibly a couple other things in there as well that I can't think of off the top of my head. Pretty much I've been in bad situations in the past and learned from them. Luckily even during those times I was somewhat prepared, but I've been able to reflect and think about what I could have had to give me an even bigger advantage. And so my survival package slowly grows, gets refined, packs better, etc.

Illum

Flashaholic
lets see...
10' of Snare wire, 10' of florescent green parachute chord, mirror, 6x wetfire tinder, flint, jet lighter, a couple of white smoke bombs that smokes for at least a minute or two in ziploc bags, chlorine tabs, duct-tape, Altoid can consisting of sewing kit with needles, matches, chewing gum and cash [$40]. Poncho, a pair of spare socks, antihistamine capsules, saline solution, space blanket, 2x trioxane fuel bars, folded plastic bags [the kind you find in publix or wally they use for vegetables, folded to wallet sized] very basic first aid, SAK, Benchmade Nagara, Muyshondt Aeon, Surefire E2L single mode.

[FONT=&quot]Not much stuff when it's organized and not thrown all in one place. Typically I have these items on me or in my backpack. I'm a full time college student living in a suburban area. I think it might be time that I ditch the pocket ax on the car and pack on a glock[/FONT]:ohgeez:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Oh, you can get on the topic of "Go Bags" or "Emergency bags" REAL quick

Go to the forums at equipped.org - they cover this topic constantly (Disclaimer, I am a moderator there, and run the 'Urban' section)

The Doug Ritter Pocket Survival kit isn't a bad starting point (Disclaimer again - Doug is the owner of the above said forums)

Of course, you could go nuts My Go Bag Page (and yes, I used to carry that EVERY day - it'be been changed, and since I started driving to work, I carry a smaller bag, as my truck kit is now only 200 yds away, vs 10 miles)

HeadCSO

Enlightened
In my work bag, I have a first aid kit, Fenix LD10 and spare batts, Leatherman Charge Ti, Vic Swisstool Spirit X, Hand sanitizer gel, tissues.

I also keep a BOB in the car.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I also keep a BOB in the car.
+ 1 :twothumbs

I can have 10x the stuff in my car BOB compared to on my person and it's pretty much always 200 feet (or less) away from me. My intent is to be able to backpack from my disabled car to home ...
  • in extremely bad weather
  • on side roads, avoiding urban areas
  • after an earthquake,
  • during urban unrest
from the furthest I get from home at any time during the average workweek - in my case, ~50 miles / maybe 3 days. Sounds over-the-top but a daypack can contain everything I need for this. Plus, I can go in the opposite direction - evacuate my house and get to my car BOB for comparable needs.

Very good reading in two great guides:
http://outdoors.free.fr/OM-PDF/Survival/Urban-Preparation-Kit-Part-I-On.pdf
http://outdoors.free.fr/OM-PDF/Survival/Urban-Preparation-Kit-Part-II.pdf

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened

Go to the forums at equipped.org - they cover this topic constantly (Disclaimer, I am a moderator there, and run the 'Urban' section)

The Doug Ritter Pocket Survival kit isn't a bad starting point (Disclaimer again - Doug is the owner of the above said forums)

Of course, you could go nuts My Go Bag Page (and yes, I used to carry that EVERY day - it'be been changed, and since I started driving to work, I carry a smaller bag, as my truck kit is now only 200 yds away, vs 10 miles)

I tried with "emergency light" and BOB and a few different combination without much success.

I do own a Doug Ritter Pocket Survival kit but I leave that one with the recommended Folding Knife, Personal Shelter, Flashlight and First Aid Kit in my BOB which is sitting in the hallway on my way out the door in case of emergency.

Thanks for the link, the The Minikit is perfect. I'll build something similar.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
+ 1 :twothumbs

I can have 10x the stuff in my car BOB compared to on my person and it's pretty much always 200 feet (or less) away from me. My intent is to be able to backpack from my disabled car to home ...
  • in extremely bad weather
  • on side roads, avoiding urban areas
  • after an earthquake,
  • during urban unrest
from the furthest I get from home at any time during the average workweek - in my case, ~50 miles / maybe 3 days. Sounds over-the-top but a daypack can contain everything I need for this. Plus, I can go in the opposite direction - evacuate my house and get to my car BOB for comparable needs.

Very good reading in two great guides:
http://outdoors.free.fr/OM-PDF/Survival/Urban-Preparation-Kit-Part-I-On.pdf
http://outdoors.free.fr/OM-PDF/Survival/Urban-Preparation-Kit-Part-II.pdf

Thanks for the links. Now it looks like I'll have to re-do my 20 pound back pack BOB and my 100 pound hockey BOB bag that's store in the trunk of my car parked 50 yard away. By the way, the hockey bag has wheel at the bottom which I can roll it away in case that the car doesn't go.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Definitely want to take a extra pair of drawers with ya and some sort of emergency food!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I bring:
Integral Designs Silponcho (works as poncho, bivy, tarp)
2 disposable handwarmers
Katadyn Micropur Water Purification tablets (30 tablets)
small first aid kit (bandaids, alcohol prep pads, moleskin)
small roll of duct tape
titanium cup and lid (.7 liters)
Gerber Infinity Ultra light and 2 spare AAs
50 feet of Kelty Striptease Guyline Spectra cord
Vargo Triad XE stove base and a few Esbit tablets
Victorinox One Hand Trekker Swiss Army Knife
small box of waterproof matches
Ultimate Survival Blastmatch
emergency blanket
lexan spoon
hot cocoa packet
Power Bar
1 liter Nalgene bottle filled with water
1 quart ziplock bag

The ziplock bag goes in the titanium cup. Most of the items fit snugly in the bag, and it's sealed shut to waterproof. Spectra cord, spoon, Swiss Army Knife, and Power Bar go in cup stuff sack next to cup. All items either go into backpack or into a hip pack (all items will fit in either, as long as hip pack has a water bottle pocket/holder).

With this kit, I can purify 30 quarts of water (enough for a week), cook at least one meal without materials to make a fire, start thousands of fires if I need to cook or stay warm, have immediate shelter from rain for travel (poncho) or sleeping (bivy) or larger overhead shelter (for more people, keeping gear dry), boil nearly limitless amounts of water to purify it (cup, blastmatch, wood I find), have some immediate warmth (handwarmers), shelter (poncho), water (1 liter), and food (power bar and hot cocoa). I also have first aid supplies in case I get hurt, and duct tape for gear/shelter repairs. I also have tools (Swiss Army Knife) and enough light for about a month of emergency use (3 AAs=75 hours/30 days=2.5 hours per night for a month).

Kestrel

Flashaholic
One question I've had recently - I always keep a few sets of matches plus a Bic lighter in my kit - however I found that a Bic is :sick2: in any kind of wind. Can anybody recommend a better lighter that isn't expensive - this pack is always visible in my car and I don't want to loose a lot of $$ if it gets stolen. I always have inexpensive matches plus a sealed container of top-of-the-line windproof/waterproof matches for emergencies in there but I'd like a general-use lighter that works well in wind but that I can afford to have stolen.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Stormproof lighters are very good when they work. Unfortunately they sometimes fail, and it is when you really need it that Murphy's Law will apply with a vengeance.

An artifical flint/striker weighs no more than a lighter and will never fail. A small vial of Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) crystals will assist in guaranteeing ignition.

Kaamos

Newly Enlightened

Looks similar to what is sold here under the Silva brand. The Silva is useless. I've had two, first one I thought to be defective, changed it and the second one was just the same. It lights up fine with a sharp blue flame. Then somehow, the gas pressure gets so low in just a couple of seconds that the lighter barely stays lit in still air, slightest breeze blows it off. It's like the gas, bot original and standard refill gas from any of at least three different manufacturers has too low vapor pressure in already in normal room temperature. There is an adjustment under the threaded bottom, but even at maximum there is just not enough gas to keep it going.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
The archive links (above) of OMF (Outdoor Magazine Forums) that used to be run by JM in France are an excellent resource- as it Doug Ritters equipped to survive...Doug had reviewed at least 8 to 10 PSK's in detail and is very objective- the mini-kit that he co marketed with adventure medical is decent- especially if you add a Derma knife and a streamlight nano. Kestrel- did you ever post any articles on OMF?
This reminds me- time for summer to winter rotation additions and subtractions.

Last edited:

Mdinana

Enlightened

You know, I don't think I've ever looked at your home page! Better take a peek at it.

Good plugs too :grin2: I'm sure DR appreciates it!

See ya over there.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Looks similar to what is sold here under the Silva brand. The Silva is useless. I've had two, first one I thought to be defective, changed it and the second one was just the same. It lights up fine with a sharp blue flame. Then somehow, the gas pressure gets so low in just a couple of seconds that the lighter barely stays lit in still air, slightest breeze blows it off. It's like the gas, bot original and standard refill gas from any of at least three different manufacturers has too low vapor pressure in already in normal room temperature. There is an adjustment under the threaded bottom, but even at maximum there is just not enough gas to keep it going.

That figures considering the price. If I need a cheap lighter I use a Bic, if I need a good lighter I use a Windmill or Brunton. If I need guaranteed fire I carry a ferro rod, striker and wet fire tinder. Sometimes, Vaseline soaked cotton balls or char cloth works just fine as well as it's much cheaper.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I avoid relying on a lighter as my sole means of starting a fire. When they work, they are the easiest method. However, butane doesn't work in the cold and many lighters' flames blow out in the wind. Even if you use the butane mix from premium stove butane canisters, they have their limits in the cold. Butane lighters also have problems lighting at altitude. They require the right mix of oxygen and fuel for proper combustion, and unless you're willing to pay $100 for a lighter that lets you dial in the right mix, don't rely solely on a lighter. Make sure you have a supply of good matches and some sort of flint and steel type of fire starter as a backup.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Anyone carry radio in the emergency bag?

I'm re-organizing a small emergency bag that I carry in my backpack and I'm thinking of putting one of those small radios in it. The reason is that all emergency check lists have a radio listed. I remember during the great blackout a few years back, no one really knows how extensive the blackout was until someone turn on the radio.

At this point, I currently have a pen radio that uses LR44 battery and I also have a Leatherman Monarch 200 which uses the same battery. So I'm thinking of putting those into my small emergency bag.

What do you guys think?

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone carry radio in the emergency bag?

I think having a radio can be very important, and it's something that is often overlooked by younger generations. It's good to have one, but not always good to carry one around because of the weight. A small radio is a good choise I think.