Flashlight with the right dimensions and lumen power?

Wylie

Enlightened
I am looking for something that may not be manufactured today and figured this would be the place to ask. I can see that what I am looking for should be able to be built and at a cost that would work well with what I am trying to do.
I am looking for a flashlight that will illuminate brightly for 24 minimums and if possible 48 hours would be perfect.
icon14.gif

I have made an attempt at building this flashlight myself and have got close to what I need but I am not playing with horseshoes here either, this has to be right or I am wasting my time.
I have rigged a flashlight using a white led running on 20 milliamp and putting out what I would guess to be its 1100 mcd rating. This led was connected directly to three AAA alkaline batteries. This had just enough light output in the beginning to the job intended but as the batteries got to 16 hours use or so the flashlight I had rigged would not work for my intended purpose any longer.
frown.gif

With this forums help I have built a very nice working flashlight from the same materials but the resistor I used cut the lumen output to a level that will not work for me anymore. I have to say this flashlight I have built with the resistor is very impressive as it will stay lit for over 48 hours and after installing new batteries I can not notice a difference in the brightness of the output.
cool.gif
But it is still not bright enough for my intended purpose.
frown.gif

What I would like to find is a cheap flashlight that is being manufactured and will illuminate for a considerable amount of time. The biggest trick is to find a flashlight that will fit into the dimensions I am looking for.
confused.gif

I am looking for a flashlight that is as close to one half inch in diameter as possible and not over six and seven eighths inches in length. The weight of this flashlight I would like to find is important as well but I can live with anything that will fit into these dimensions if it is out there somewhere.
So if you would know of a flashlight that would fit these descriptions could you let me know, I have not been able to find it yet and don't know were to look anymore.
confused.gif

Thank you,
Wylie

r2

Enlightened
If you haven't already, take a look at Craig's review site:

http://www.ledmuseum.org/

The CMG Infinity might do the job, but it may be too dim for your needs. The size and runtime are great, though.

The PT Attitude is another one that you might want to check out. Someone else will have to comment on the battery life, but if I remember right it should be close to what you are looking for. It's much brighter than the Infinity. The PT Impact is a little bigger but will serve your runtime needs pretty well.

The Brinkmann Long Life (or something like that) may fit the bill, too. It has appeared at Walmart in the past.

Those are the ones that jump to mind. I think Craig has reviews for all of them.

- Russ

r2

Enlightened
A few additional notes. Texas Tactical Supply is a good place to buy many of these lights:

http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/StoreFront.bok

Brightguy is another good place:

https://www.brightguy.com

And Glowbug is also good:

http://www.glow-bug.com/

Beware the manufacturers' claims on runtime for many of these. They like to consider any faint glimmer as "still going" so they can claim hundreds of hours. You should look at runtime charts on some of the review sites or ask around here for a better picture of runtimes.

- Russ

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
You might want to check out the PT Attitude, you shouldn't have much trouble getting 50 hours of useable light from it if that single 20 ma led puts out acceptable for you. It's pretty small, runs on 4 AAA batteries and only costs about 20 bucks.
The LightSite

The Led Museum

Both these sites have reviews on the Attitude and quite a few other lights.

InTheDark

Enlightened
How close does it have to be to 1/2"? If you can go with AA batteries which are about 1/2 in diameter, you'd have a much better chance of getting the runtime you want.

Wylie

Enlightened
Wow!
That was a fast response! This is the right place to ask! I will look into the flashlights you have mentioned that I have not seen.
20 bucks is outside the cost I am really looking for.
I am working with another guy that would like to bring a new product to the market for $9.99. To meet that retail cost I will have to bring everything involved with the product into the U.S. for about $2.51. At this point I am thinking that I am really work on something that may not be possible but how would I ever know if I didn't try.
I was buying a similar product retailing here in the states for $5 but the flashlight that was involved did not use an led lamp. It was a knock off from the AAA 2 cell Mags that had the push on push off switch on the end. These were pretty cheaply built as the anodizing they put on these things was done very poorly. If a person used the batteries with the tester on the side they would not fit into some of the flashlights because the anodizing would have a drip or build up on the inside of the cylinders of some of the flashlights.
I really appreciate the feed back and if you have any other ideas please let me know.

Wylie

Enlightened
In the Dark,
I do have to keep the diameter to a minimum in order to avoid manufacturing other parts involved with this product. As it is now I am looking at manufacturing 100,000 of three parts for this product and the less I have to manufacture the less problems I will have with fitting the whole thing together when all is said and done. The Arc lights are perfect but the cost is too much for the guy I am working with. I just hope he doesn't bring the cost down so low that the product suffers. I did that with my laser fishing rods in the beginning and I am still paying the price over two years after.

Thank you In The Dark,
Wylie

Wylie

Enlightened
The Stylus 2 lights may just fit the bill for the guy I am working with. The AAAA batteries can be a drag to find sometimes as I have looked for them in the past and was only able to find them at Radio Shacks.
Are red leds all these flashlights are produced with?
What kind of lumen output do these flashlights have and is it constant over the life of the battery?
Would anyone know the manufacturer of the Stylus 2 flashlights?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Wylie:
The Stylus 2 lights may just fit the bill for the guy I am working with. The AAAA batteries can be a drag to find sometimes as I have looked for them in the past and was only able to find them at Radio Shacks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Read thread thread, you may be pleasantly surprised
smile.gif

***EDIT***

This subject has been researched in depth on another thread AAAA cells were found in the following 9v batteries:

Toshiba
Energizer
Energizer Industrial
Rayovac Industrial
Energizer e2
Duracell
Duracell Procell

InTheDark

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight with the right dimensions and lumen power? *DELETED*

Post deleted by InTheDark

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights to consider are:

Princeton Tec Attitude
Streamlight Clipmate without the clipmate

The opalec Newbeam will give 10-12 hours at full brightness, and about 10-12 hours more with diminished brightness.

Maybe the Inretech 2AA might meet your needs. I don't know what the light looks like at 24 and 48 hours.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, read what Mike has to say at Inretech:
===========================
As for lasting the longest, that is a hard question to answer - we need to work out a standard here on CPF for a "fall-off" value, such as when the light falls below X% of its starting value

Our White Adapter, for example - puts out about 14hrs of Bright White Light and then starts to taper off

Just for fun, I turned one of the White Adapters on and left it running all the time for a month

It wasn't bright enough to put a spot on the wall, but it was more than bright enough to read a book or a map

I did several tests on the flashlight, using a variety of batteries:

http://www.inretech.com/pictures/lightmeter.jpg

Mike

http://www.inretech.com
==========================================
From this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003245&p=1

Wylie

Enlightened
A lot of these lights that have been suggested are a litTle large on the diameter as I am trying to stay at a maximum of a half inch.
The flashlight I had built with this forums help is awesome! (Jonathan) I put batteries in the thing and just let it go. It was over 48 hours and almost 60 when I took the batteries out and replaced them with new ones and I could not tell the difference at that point. From changing the batteries back and forth I have forgot which were the new and the old now just because I couldn't tell the difference. Even though it will not work for my intended purpose I now have a flashlight that will run for at least 60 hours brightly and uses the same size batteries as my laser fishing rods. If I can come up with something this good at a cost my partner is happy with I may just have to but into some as an ensentive for sales on my custom built laser fishing rods.
Huh! Lasers and L.E.D's ROCK!!!
grin.gif
icon14.gif

Latest posts