Fenix P2D - should I get one?

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
I don't really have a need for another light, but I have received an email ad from REI for 20% off their outlet stuff and could get a Fenix P2D for $39 total. I am a newbie when it comes to knowing what's out there. Should I be looking at newer lights?

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

The P2D is a great light. It was my first "real" flashlight. I still have mine and I don't intend to sell it. If I were you, though, I'd spend a little bit more money and buy a Quark from 4sevens.com. It's brighter and more efficient due to the difference in emitters. It also has "moonlight" mode, a really low low which is great for preserving your night vision or if you need your flashlight to operate continuously for a month on the same battery.

I have three Quarks with another one coming. I also have three Fenixes, but they're not currently in regular use, and probably won't be as long as I have the Quarks.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another plus with the Quarks is that you can use a rechargeable 3.7V Li ion without losing the different brightness levels like in a Fenix. I like my Fenixes, but that is one thing that soured me about them.

Last edited:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
Which Quark model do you have?

I have a Quark 123 R2 in my pocket. At home I have a Quark 123^2 R2 and a Quark 123^2 Ti. For Christmas I'm getting a Quark 123 R5 to replace my EDC light. All of them are the standard (non-tactical) models; I've installed forward clickies in each of them. I have access to all the modes without programming, and I don't have to use a reverse clicky (which I don't like)