Some Problems with my Mag P7 Mod :(

jonas911

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I know this topic appears again and again and i also used the search before but it didn´t answer my questions :(

I´ve modded my Mag 3D with the following parts:
P7 from KD
P7 LiIon Driver from KD
a reflector, also from KD

Now i´ve soldered all parts together but i don´t get the expected power :(
Now my Questions:
1. Does anyone know the driver? Is this a driver which gives the full 2,8A?
2. Is it possible to use (if yes, how much?) some 18650 cells? Will i get more power than with d cells?
3. is there any better reflector/lens to get better light gain?
4. I have a thing like a crosshair in the middle of my hotspot...is this a thing like the donut or am i able to remove it?

regards jonas

Last edited:

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
I am not 100% sure but from what ive read the cross hairs are because of the 4 emitters inside the P7 the way to get rid of it is with a OP reflector i believe please correct me if i m wrong

cir2kuk

Newly Enlightened
Reviews on KD say driver only gives out 1.5a on high not 2.8a!

jonas911

Newly Enlightened
Currently I´m using the normal d cells...is it possible to use some 18650? if yes, how much can i use and will i get more power? (or can i reach the 1,5A also with d cells?)
Someone knows a better driver?

boostax

Newly Enlightened
Dear Jonas,

first of all the driver delivers only 1,5 A on highest output. the p7 needs 2,8 for full power.
you need another driver.
look at Der Wichtel. he sell such buck converters. Your input V needs to be higher than the Vf of the LED.
You can also use NimH cells if you use an adapter (from 3 AA to 1 D) for the cells to get the Voltage.
the donut hole is caused by the reflector. you can use an orange peeled one.
regards

boostax

Newly Enlightened
you can look at DX or KD.
there are some reflektors that are specially designed for mglites.
they should be made of aluminium for better heatsinking. the cheaper ones you can get have to be modified a bit. i did also. I opened the hole for the p7 with a fine rasp.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Without a good heatsink and thermal design you are not going to have much success driving it at 2.8A anyways... at least not for very long. IMHO you are better off driving it at lower currents until you can refine your design and create a more direct thermal conduction path between the LED and host body.

jonas911

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean with a good Heatsink? Is that one which is selled in the marketplace by a men from thailand (at the moment i cant find the thread) good enough?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!
I know this topic appears again and again and i also used the search before but it didn´t answer my questions :(

I´ve modded my Mag 3D with the following parts:
P7 from KD
P7 LiIon Driver from KD
a reflector, also from KD

Now i´ve soldered all parts together but i don´t get the expected power :(
Now my Questions:
1. Does anyone know the driver? Is this a driver which gives the full 2,8A?
2. Is it possible to use (if yes, how much?) some 18650 cells? Will i get more power than with d cells?
3. is there any better reflector/lens to get better light gain?
4. I have a thing like a crosshair in the middle of my hotspot...is this a thing like the donut or am i able to remove it?

regards jonas

That driver is up to 4.5v [ 3xD ] so should be ok
It actually delivers up to 2.4A with a good battery

You got the J-bin emitter , wont be as bright as a i-bin with that driver , also Amps will be down ,

Heatsink , ??? you did get a heatsink ...

Greg G

Enlightened
J bin emitter.....and you want to drive it full power? Something like a Sharbuck 3A and either a Fivemega 9aa or 12aa battery holder, or 2+ Li Ions (18650 or bigger).