floody, compact light with 12hr+ battery life?

piojo

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend is looking to replace a lost Inova X5, and I've convinced her to upgrade :). I've had a hard time finding something that makes her happy, and I was wondering if someone could help, given her requirements:

• floody (preferably, no hotspot)
  • 12 hours of at least 25 OTF lumens (like the Fenix P3D)
  • 5 inches or shorter (almost any 2xCR123 light, I would think)
  • Plusses (not necessary):
    • rugged
    • has a low mode
    • forward clicky
Does such a light exist? The requirement that it be floody is making this search hard. If we can't find such a light, she'll probably get another X5 (or I can try to convince her to make a diffuser and tape it to the P3D's lens).

Thanks!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Quark 123 or AA R5 "Tactical" models. They can be programmed for each of the OTF outputs, and has two modes, one with the bezel loosened, and the other tightened. It looks like it's really easy to program (I think they have a video to show you), and has a forward clicky.

Just so you know, the R5 XP-G is a very new, highly efficient LED. It's currently the most efficient on the mass market. It has a relatively large die size (2mm^2) compared to the XP-E (1mm^2) it's based upon, and that, coupled with the 115* viewing angle leaves it relatively floody, especially with the small size of the reflector.
I have a limited edition Titanium Quark AA, and while not a total flooder, the XP-G LED gives it a very nice sized hotspot, and a wide spill, which I think is great for general purpose lighting.

If you still don't think it's floody enough for her, put some matte scotch tape on the lens (it won't hurt it) which will further diffuse the hotspot and spill.

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
The specs for the Quark 123², R5 Edition.

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 30 days, (1ma)
Low: 4 lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 22 lumens for 20 hours (50ma)
High: 85 lumens for 4.5 hours (250ma)
Max: 230 lumens for 1.8 hours (990ma)
Strobe: 230 lumens for 3 hours
Beacon: 0-230 lumens pulse for 23 hours

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The requirement that it be floody is making this search hard. If we can't find such a light, she'll probably get another X5.

Thanks!

Perhaps you know that there is a new version Inova X5 which comes in new packaging and is brighter than the previous version. It is discussed in this thread.

I don't know if it will run for 11 hours.

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information. The Quark looks tempting (to me, not to my gf).

I think one part of the search for a perfect light is finding one whose modes fit your uses--we want to go camping for 2 or 3 days and probably not change the batteries. That said, we'd like 45 lumens or so, because less is just not as good for sitting around a campfire and eating/drinking. So far, the P3D is the only contender, but we need to drop the "floody" requirement... the P3D is a somewhat old light, and it's a little surprising that there's no newer light that has a suitable "medium" mode.

We just learned about the new X5--she ordered one a few days ago (we're actually looking for 2 flashlights), and I look forward to seeing whether it's brighter, lasts less time, or malfunctions.

duboost

Enlightened
Maybe an Olight T10 or T20 w/ the diffusor?
T10:
Size: 89.6mm/3.5"(L) x 21.6mm/.85"(D)
Brightness/Runtime: 190lm(1hr), 85lm(3hrs), 38lm(8hrs), 15lm(20hrs), 6lm(50hrs)

T20:
Size: 128.5mm/5.06" (L) x 21.6mm/.85" (D)
Brightness/Runtime: 220lm(1.5hrs), 100lm(3.8hrs), 45 lm(10hrs), 18lm(30hrs), 7lm(70hrs)

Although if she's like most girls, the biggest thing may be that it doesn't look as nice as the X5 does lol.

Or maybe a Preon might work. It's available in different colors. Although the 1 or 2 AAA form factor may not be what she's looking for. But it still looks like a nice light and from the beamshots in this thread, looks pretty floody

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix has newer models of the P3D. its called PD30 now, and since... i think it has had 2 or 3 upgrades in emitters. PD30+ has a r2, and the recently released version has an r4 emitter which might be more floody compared to the r2, if its anything like the r5 emitter.

the quark 123x2 in r5 is very nice and floods well.
you can also piece together a titanium quark for about $120.

the quark might be better for camping since it has the moonlight mode, which is 0.2 lumen output. light will go for weeks on that mode. also has a beacon mode.

although fenix does have great energy efficency.

another light which has great efficency is the olight m20. its also very bright, throws well, nice spill, looks and feels great. low mode is 10 lumens.
i use my m20 r2 5 days a week, and its very impressive and a real pleasure to use.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the Zebralight suggestion, LEDninja. It looks like several of those do fulfill all my girlfriend's criteria (nothing else does)--she ended up ordering a H60, some 18650s, and a charger. I hope they arrive before our next trip! (We're going to Death Valley, but unfortunately not camping.)

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M60FLL in 6P with two CR123's 17 hours of 80 lumens or so

Huh... I think that really would work--I didn't know there was so much diversity among Malkoff drop-ins--my girlfriend would probably like the FL/FLL models. Unfortunately, it's a bit expensive if you don't already have a Surefire you want to upgrade. I'll keep this in mind if she doesn't like the Zebralight.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I see that the run time is 18 hours on primaries. Can you direct me to where it says that the output is 80 lumens during this period?
Comparing the graphs in post 108, and 110, I would say that the 80+ lumen figure is post 110. My lux meter + bounce reading compare the M60LL with two of my lights, my SF E2L two mode, and my SF P60L, the M60LL reading being higher and closer to what I would consider 90 lumens or so, maybe 100. Malkoff's website notes the M60LL to be 80 lumens, but the M60LL is interesting in that it runs flat with one RCR123, two CR123's and two RCR123's, with different Lux numbers for each battery setup, so I would say, that the M60LL readings would be approximately 60,80 and close to 100 with those combinations. Very unusual circuit, and a bit confusing. Big Waffles runtime plot seems to show the M60LL with two CR123's to be on the low side, if you compare post 108 and 110, but quite an extreme difference, I would say, and both running flat.

Bill

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CREE will truly be pleased to hear that we are able to get these levels of efficacy (150+ lumens per watt) from an XRE. As I said, truly amazing what you can learn here. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M60FLL in 6P with two CR123's 17 hours of 80 lumens or so,

Bill

Ahh...., if only it were so. Too bad, the efficacy is only about 78 lumens per watt. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

a_66u.jpg

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ahh...., if only it were so. Too bad, the efficacy is only about 78 lumens per watt. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

a_66u.jpg

Two CR123's have been tested at close to 18 hours flat runtime. See previous links to graphs.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
So you are saying that an M60LL will output 80 lumens for 17/18 hours on a pair of CR123's?

You read my post re my thoughts about the output with two CR123's, and you saw the graphs from Big Waffles work. Not using an IS it is sort of difficult to exactly pin down the lumens. I think that saying 60-80 lumens might be ok here. I do know that two RCR123's is very close to what I would consider 100 lumens estimate, and the three CR123's in Big Waffles graph look pretty good, and well above the two CR123 results. You have got to appreciate that the M60LL (M60) is a very unusual circuit, and is not your usual constant current buck circuit

Bill