I Need a New EDC Light

GaryXD

Newly Enlightened
Let me start by saying I'm not a flashlight expert and haven't even researched the topic in several years. I was shooting a nighttime pistol tournament a while back and noticed my old Surefire E2E wasn't putting out near as much light as most of the other competitors.

I would like to get a new 2xCR123 EDC light with more output. Is LED the way to go now? Any recommendations?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
:welcome:

Is LED the way to go now? Any recommendations?

Definitely!

Let me start by saying I'm not a flashlight expert and haven't even researched the topic in several years. I was shooting a nighttime pistol tournament a while back and noticed my old Surefire E2E wasn't putting out near as much light as most of the other competitors.

I would like to get a new 2xCR123 EDC light with more output.

Are you going to be using this in a professional (law enforcement/security) type environment? Knowing that would definitely affect the recommendations you receive.

The Surefire e2e is rated at 60 lumens. If you want to stick with Surefire you could upgrade to an e2dl which is 200 lumens (this is the recently released version, the previous one was 120 lumens) powered by 2xCR123 cells.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Another excellent option is the new 200 lumen Surefire L2. The choice between the E2DL and the new L2 is a tough one, depends on which switch type you like, clicky on the E2DL or twisty on the L2.

njet212

Enlightened
I would like to get a new 2xCR123 EDC light with more output. Is LED the way to go now? Any recommendations?

General Opinions

lx2_ha_wh_1-1.jpg

I own both Surefire ED2L ( 200 lumens version ) and Surefire LX2 Lumamax. They're both great light, if you still love Surefire, for EDC and Tactical Light i will vote for Surefire LX2 Lumamax. Features only with 2 simple mode, low ( 15 lumens ) and high ( 200 lumens ). It also have good option carry, could be carry bezel up or bezel down depends on your own preferences. It don't slip on your hand and feel so rugged. Also when you hold this light on your hand you won't really feel there is a clip on that light because the clip design is just so awesome IMHO. I always prefer buy online, tacticalsupply.com is my favorite dealer ( very nice customer service, especially for CPF member ).

Olight_M20_Warrior_Gesamt.jpg

But if you want something more powerful for 2 x CR123 flashlight, you might be consider Olight M21. It's have three digitally controlled constant brightness levels and a strobe, 20lm (30hrs)-80lm (8hrs)-500 lm (1.2hrs), Strobe(500lm/2.4h). For the User interface check here ( FYI the video shown Olight M20 which is older version of Olight M21 and produce less lumen than Olight M21 but they both have same interface). Since i don't own this light i can't say much about this. But i have read some posts here, many LE ( Law Enforcement ) guys love Olight M20 for their duty light.

Bottom Line

IMHO Surefire LX2 Lumamax is a simple light ( only have 2 output ), rugged light, American Light ( if you prefer and support Made in America things ), combat proven light ( many LE and Military use them as standard issue light ). The most important thing Surefire covered by lifetime warranty and great costumer service ( maybe this is why Surefire is overprice on the price tag)

Olight M21 Warrior is best bang for the buck, i read some post here some folks here ( including LE folks ) love this light, some also said it's also have quality even this is Made in China light. Hope this somewhat help.

Chandra,

:welcome:

Last edited:

post tenebras

Enlightened
Also consider an ElZetta ZFL-M60. Made in America, tough, bright, and simple. You may select one or two modes, twisty or clicky, plain bezel or crenellated.