New Fenix PD30 Cree XP-G LED Flashlight 265 Lumens

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Havent seen this in 4sevens site yet but I believe the specs are pretty similar to the quark 2x123...

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
right... so the whopping new PD30 is 5cents cheaper than the Quark 123^2, but has a lower bin (R4), probably won't be regulated on lithium (-ion) in low modes and lacks a true low low.

hmm... maybe its selling point is higher relative efficiency? *shrugs*

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
right... so the whopping new PD30 is 5cents cheaper than the Quark 123^2, but has a lower bin (R4), probably won't be regulated on lithium (-ion) in low modes and lacks a true low low.

hmm... maybe its selling point is higher relative efficiency? *shrugs*

Well actually the PD30s of the past have been regulated using 2xRCR123 iirc. However not fully regulated using a 17670 if that's what you meant. But then again neither is the Quark 123^2.

But I'd assume yet again Fenix will shun the 18650 cell for EDC lights. At least 4Sevens made the 18650 tube for us and went with the other light heads bing buck/boost circuits.

We'll have to see how well the Fenix optics work. I'd be interested to see a head to head comparison between these two competing light models. Imho the difference between the flux bins won't be visible to the human eye; but the tint bins, that may be another story.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I just bought the R2 version, (which I really like) so at first I was a little irritated...but then I remembered I actually sold my Quark 123(2) turbo because I liked the PD30+ r2 version better...so I will pass on the upgrade...but if I did not have this one....I would be very interested.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Anyone ?.

I've been waiting for somewhere to have these for sale. I'm planning on buying one asap because of the runtime on medium and the reported wider spill of the beam.

I'd like to give my usual suppliers in the UK a chance to get this in but if they don't give me a date for it, I'll happily order from Light Junction.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I just bought the R2 version, (which I really like) so at first I was a little irritated...but then I remembered I actually sold my Quark 123(2) turbo because I liked the PD30+ r2 version better...so I will pass on the upgrade...but if I did not have this one....I would be very interested.

Yes I'm in the same boat I just recently received two of the R2 models and then they put these out without any warning. I'm a little irritated to say the least. Oh well I should get my R5 Quark tommorow.

strinq

Enlightened
These lights just get brighter and brighter...just got my PD30 a couple of months ago and already i feel the need for another one with a newer LED...sigh...:crackup:

Dan FO

Enlightened
I don't really own many Fenix lights but a dealer just threw in a free P3D Q5 on a purchase I made. It's 215 lumens and I doubt I could tell the difference between 215 and 265 lumens. If they had left it at 215 and increased the run time they might be on to something. In the lights I have I have found that the XP-G R5 does not throw as well as the XR-E Q5. The XP-G is more flood as far as I can see in most of the smaller reflectors we use in flashlights.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a little disappointed with this lumen range. I was hoping for a 300 lumen :( I rarely ever use turbo more than for a few seconds, so I'm debating if this is worth the upgrade since the other modes do not have that big of a change in lumens or runtime.

I on the other hand will certainly be buying the new PD10. Just really not sure about this new PD30 though

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Perhaps, although i would not mind paying that extra 2 dollars more that its likely to cost.

I've got tired of waiting for this to become available over here, kept looking around and found something else that better meets my runtime requirements.

(I wanted a compact light with a long runtime rather than a really bright light)

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
I am a little disappointed with this lumen range. I was hoping for a 300 lumen :( I rarely ever use turbo more than for a few seconds, so I'm debating if this is worth the upgrade since the other modes do not have that big of a change in lumens or runtime.

I on the other hand will certainly be buying the new PD10. Just really not sure about this new PD30 though

Me too, I understood the XP-G was to be 345 lumens.

Back in May, I posted from the Cree press release that the Cree XLamp XP-G LED (at only 3.5mm x 3.5mm, the smaller XP-G is rated 139 lumens per watt at 350 mA and driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter, 53 percent more efficient, and 80% smaller than the brightest XR-E LED)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

ive had my quark 123x2 tactical R5 for about a week now, and its now my favorite light (my apologize to my beloved M20 premium) at first i wasnt impressed, but now that ive used it on a regular basis at work, im loving it.

in fact i love it so much, im thinking of getting the PD30, in which bin... i dont know yet. love the size of these lights, and the spill. only thing is that i wished the quark's spill was brighter, but i cant complain. it does have surprising good throw.

the quark has a very wide hot spot and spill, which i prefer, my range at work is 70 feet at most. and its very effective for my use.

woodrow.... can i ask why you prefer the pd30 over the quark? cause im really considering one, im also considering the jetbeam m1x, and tk40 aaahhhh, i needs mo money!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main thing I like about the PD30+ r2 better than the Quark Turbo (besides the warmer tint) was the quick way I have access to 3 nicely spaced levels with the bezel loose. Low at 15 lumens is as low as I really normally like...and having 60 and 115 right there in under a second is really nice. I have the same delima about my new JetIII M. I like it...it is really well built..and it is easier to tailstand than the Fenix... plus it takes 18650's. But, I have to pick one low level...instead of having 3 to choose from.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too, I understood the XP-G was to be 345 lumens.

Back in May, I posted from the Cree press release that the Cree XLamp XP-G LED (at only 3.5mm x 3.5mm, the smaller XP-G is rated 139 lumens per watt at 350 mA and driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter, 53 percent more efficient, and 80% smaller than the brightest XR-E LED)

Fenix seems to like their nice round standard type runtimes. I am sure that we would need a R7 or R8 to "actually" get 300 lumens from a PD light... I would love to get a 1 hour turbo with the maximum brightness that runtime offers with the PD30. Then have a low which gives 100 hours. Something like that