Night hikers, what's your current setup?

InTheDark

Enlightened
Since the days have been getting shorter, I find myself hiking in the dark more often. There's a lot of good information regarding hiking at night, but usually relates to setting up camp in the dark or using a headlamp as a backup in case you don't make it out by sunset. But I'd like to specifically focus on night hiking, meaning those starting out when it's already dark, with the specific purpose of hiking in the dark. I'm curious to know what others people are using.

My current night hiking setup is a Nuwai 2x123 headlamp paired with a RiverRock 2x123 headlamp. Of course I also have quite a few flashlights in the backpack as a backup. So far I like the combination of a high power light with throw (RR) and a multi level light with long run times. Last month I just completed a midnight hike of Halfdome using just the Nuwai on low power (the batteries were already dead and couldn't turn it on high), but it was a full moon so I really didn't really need the headlamp much. I estimate I was able to complete 80% of it without a headlamp at all, most of it's use was finding the well marked trail when it got into the trees.

Over the last couple months I've been doing some hikes in the local mountains and spend a lot of it in the dark. But with no moonlight and in a canyon, both headlamps get a lot more use. As most hikers know a headlamp doesn't work too well strapped on your head, I found it a lot more useful to strap the Nuwai to the buckle of my waistbelt, and use the RR on my head just for trailfinding. I actually made a short strap out of 1" webbing that clips in between the hip belt buckes of my backpack so I can mount the headlamp on it. The low beam angle really helps show the shadows, but in reality the sheer brightness of the RR headlamp was a lot more useful, especially when moving fast over rocky ground.

Right now I'm looking for another headlamp to replace the Nuwai and one I can use as a primary headlamp. The 1 watt side emitter is showing its age, but I really like the form factor and setup. The fact that I still have another 5-7 hours of light on low after the high power setting runs out is really nice. So what I'm looking for is another light that takes 123's, has multi-levels with a low power runtime of 12+ hours, a high output at least equal to the river rocks 136 lumens, and most importantly I don't like a separate battery pack, so that rules out many of the high end headlamps. I would prefer something with a bit of throw, a flood pattern just doesn't cut it when you're moving quickly. But I also don't like a well defined hotspot because it tends to cause tunnel vision on the trail, it does need some sidespill. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't that many 123A headlights. Fewer have a good balance of spot and flood light (Zebralights are total flood lights, PT Apex Pro-maybe). I can't think of one that satisfies all your requirements, especially the no rear battery pack one that disqualifies the Princeton Tec Apex Pro. Drop the 123A requirement and there may be more options, but few if any as bright and as lightweight as your River Rock headlight (which has no heatsinking or waterproofing). I've found that headlights don't have to be super bright. 20 lumens is enough to walk down a trail safely. 50 lumens is enough to see midrange (enough for running). Any brighter, and you're spotting stuff at a distance or trailfinding, which usually only requires short term use.

I use a headlight for most of the time, and carry a bright flashlight when I need more throw. For a headlight, the Princeton Tec EOS is still what I use, and I haven't found anything better. It is waterproof, regulated (running direct drive when the batteries run low), has a good spread of brightness settings (5, 20, and 50 lumens), runs much longer than overnight on low, and has a good balance of spot and flood light. With this light, I carry a thrower handheld flashlight. Flashlights don't attract bugs to your face, and their tubular metal bodies make lighter heatsinks than are required for a headlight. I have a lot of lights for this purpose that get rotated into use depending on the trail and weather conditions. Here are some of them: Solarforce L2 with Thrunite Cree XP-G drop-in (300 lumens), Fenix TK11 R2 (low-60/high-240 lumens), Inova XO (100+ lumens), Inova T1 (100 lumens), Fenix P3D Q5 (200 lumens), Fenix L2D/P2D/L1D (180/180/120 lumens-three body tubes, one head), Xtar P4 18650 light (150 lumens), Fenix L1T version 2.0 (98 lumens).

Last edited:

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
This is the perfect set up ready? D10 With Headband. Its light, simplicity of AA, amazing combo of spot to flood. I have that set up and love it!

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I'm currently using the SF Minimus. Actually, it's the Saint with the battery pack removed which seems to be a better set up than the Saint itself.

I suppose that if I were doing a hike that started at 2 AM I'd use the Saint but for camping and hikes that won't get me back until 2-3 hours after dark I'm using the Minimus set up.

Regardless, the Minimus seems to nicely satisfy most of your requirements.

yowzer

Enlightened
I use a Mammut TXlite or a Black Diamond Icon for night hikes. Don't like the blueish 5mm LEDs on the Icon, but it's Cree is nice. The Mammut's the best-designed 3AAA direct drive headlamp I've used, even if it only has an old Luxeon LED. Still bright enough, and a fresh set of batteries will last all night.

Probably going to replace them both with a Surefire Saint soon, though.

Huz

Newly Enlightened
I am considering minimus for night hiking/running - seems to meet all your req.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
As most hikers know a headlamp doesn't work too well strapped on your head,
:thinking: they do? :thinking:
and the lights dont work well there?
:thinking: :thinking:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix HL20 looks promising. That might be a good replacement headlight. It takes 1AA though, not 2 123As. It's waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes. It's settings are: low-4 lumens (56 hours), medium-48 lumens (5.5 hours), high-105 lumens (1.8 hours), SOS (15 hours). Uses a Cree XP-E l.e.d. which tends to have great throw and no gaps in the beam (we'll see if this is true with this light, hopefully soon). It's under 3 ounces with battery. This information was from another thread that just started today. Sounds like a good replacement for my Princeton Tec EOS headlight as well as the O.P. for this thread. I want one.

uplite

Enlightened
Last month I just completed a midnight hike of Halfdome using just the Nuwai on low power (the batteries were already dead and couldn't turn it on high), but it was a full moon so I really didn't really need the headlamp much.
Awesome night hike. :thumbsup: If you want another beautiful one with a shift of perspective...hike up North Dome at night, full moon, late spring, while the high country is still blanketed in snow. The moon rises over halfdome, and the whole world is lit up by the snow bounce. It's like watching a sunrise with a cool-white tint... :faint:

As for flashlights...IMO the ideal night-hiking setup is a floody headlamp to light your immediate surroundings and foot placement, and a throwy handheld to trailfind and spot at a distance.

This past summer I started using a Zebralight H501w headlamp plus an original Quark (XPE not XPG) in my pocket/hand. Both with neutral white LEDs. Very happy with this setup. The Zebralight beats the stuffing out of my old petzl headlamps that were barely adequate for hiking on a good trail. The original (XPE) Quark is a good thrower for trailfinding 50-100 yards out. The new XPG Quarks are not as good for this unless you get the "Turbo" head.

If you do trail running at night, I would recommend a throwy headlamp like the EOS. But for hiking, flood headlamp + pocket thrower works great.

-Jeff

InTheDark

Enlightened
There aren't that many 123A headlights. Fewer have a good balance of spot and flood light (Zebralights are total flood lights, PT Apex Pro-maybe). I can't think of one that satisfies all your requirements, especially the no rear battery pack one that disqualifies the Princeton Tec Apex Pro. Drop the 123A requirement and there may be more options, but few if any as bright and as lightweight as your River Rock headlight (which has no heatsinking or waterproofing). I've found that headlights don't have to be super bright. 20 lumens is enough to walk down a trail safely. 50 lumens is enough to see midrange (enough for running). Any brighter, and you're spotting stuff at a distance or trailfinding, which usually only requires short term use.

I use a headlight for most of the time, and carry a bright flashlight when I need more throw. For a headlight, the Princeton Tec EOS is still what I use, and I haven't found anything better. It is waterproof, regulated (running direct drive when the batteries run low), has a good spread of brightness settings (5, 20, and 50 lumens), runs much longer than overnight on low, and has a good balance of spot and flood light. With this light, I carry a thrower handheld flashlight. Flashlights don't attract bugs to your face, and their tubular metal bodies make lighter heatsinks than are required for a headlight. I have a lot of lights for this purpose that get rotated into use depending on the trail and weather conditions. Here are some of them: Solarforce L2 with Thrunite Cree XP-G drop-in (300 lumens), Fenix TK11 R2 (low-60/high-240 lumens), Inova XO (100+ lumens), Inova T1 (100 lumens), Fenix P3D Q5 (200 lumens), Fenix L2D/P2D/L1D (180/180/120 lumens-three body tubes, one head), Xtar P4 18650 light (150 lumens), Fenix L1T version 2.0 (98 lumens).

I have noticed the lack of 123 headlamps on the market. The main reason I've decided to go with the 2x123 configuration is because I've somewhat standardized all my equipment to that battery type and have rechargable 123's. My one emergency light takes 1x123, and both my headlamps are 123, so I was hoping to try and keep it common. I like it because of the long shelf life, so I dont' always have to check the batteries in my emergency kit. They've also got better runtimes in cold weather and are light, but those really aren't my main concern. I have thought of going back to AA's since that opens up a lot more options, so I guess I'm not 100% set on the lithiums just yet. The reason I don't want a separate battery pack is because I would like the mount the light on my hipbelt, and having everything integrated all in one unit would be less hassle.

I (sometimes) carry one of the DX (advertixed) 900 lumen lights, which probably puts out closer to 300-400 lumens, for trail finding, but I really only use it to impress people at night. I almost always use hiking poles, so I don't like having anything in my hands while moving, which is why I like having the high power spot on my head where I can just reach up and turn it on as needed.

I'm currently using the SF Minimus. Actually, it's the Saint with the battery pack removed which seems to be a better set up than the Saint itself.

I suppose that if I were doing a hike that started at 2 AM I'd use the Saint but for camping and hikes that won't get me back until 2-3 hours after dark I'm using the Minimus set up.

Regardless, the Minimus seems to nicely satisfy most of your requirements.

I've been looking at the Saint/Minimus combo since it first came out, it's probably number one on my list of potential headlamps. However, I haven't seen it in person yet, so I've been waiting to find one locally before I drop the money for it. If the high setting is bright enough for trail finding, I think I might consider it. I was thinking I could just use the battery pack as a spare holder, and I like the dual battery combo.

What about the Zebralight H30?

I admit I haven't tried the Zebralights, but I have tried removing the reflectors on some other lights to simulate a flood beam pattern. While those would be great camping, for hiking the flood beam just doesn't have enough throw to make me feel comfortable on the trail. Since most of the time I need to see in front of me for a distance, a flood beam waste too much light in a direction where I'm not looking. A really bright flood would be a great solution, but then I'd still want most of the light concentrated torwards the front.

uplite

Enlightened
I admit I haven't tried the Zebralights, but I have tried removing the reflectors on some other lights to simulate a flood beam pattern. While those would be great camping, for hiking the flood beam just doesn't have enough throw to make me feel comfortable on the trail. Since most of the time I need to see in front of me for a distance, a flood beam waste too much light in a direction where I'm not looking. A really bright flood would be a great solution, but then I'd still want most of the light concentrated torwards the front.
Keep in mind, a naked LED has a huge flood angle, but the Zebralights have a custom lens to collimate the flood angle.

H501 and H50 have an 80-degree flood with up to 96 lumens OTF. That's plenty of light for hiking, scrambling, or even bushwhacking your own trail. On a well-worn trail, medium modes are fine.

The big issue with night hike lighting is foot-placement/proximity vs. trailfinding/distance usage. Flood is better for the former; throw is better for the latter.

I don't use hiking poles though...so it is easy to pull a thrower out of my pocket occasionally when I want to see farther. If you have hiking poles in both hands, you have to decide. Either pick one light...flood or thrower...or hold the poles in one hand for a few seconds when you want to see farther...

-Jeff

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: they do? :thinking:
and the lights dont work well there?
:thinking: :thinking:
When the light source is on the same axis as your eyes, it casts no shadows. This makes the world appear flatter and with-out the contrast information your ability to intuit if a root is flat on the ground or sticking up is dampened. Hikers with headlights begin tripping over things, slipping, after a few hours you feel like you're in a fishbowl and can't see any distance.
Zebralights are great because they clip-on anywhere.
I've had some relief strapping a light to the side of my head, but I prefer hand torch for all but the most serious bushwhacking.

uplite

Enlightened
When the light source is on the same axis as your eyes, it casts no shadows. This makes the world appear flatter and with-out the contrast information your ability to intuit if a root is flat on the ground or sticking up is dampened. Hikers with headlights begin tripping over things, slipping, after a few hours you feel like you're in a fishbowl and can't see any distance.
That sounds a little bit extreme. ;)

I think an off-axis beam gives you a few more visual cues, but it doesn't make a huge difference. I also hike under clouds, or trees, or noontime sun, without shadows, without tripping on the roots & rocks.

IMO the main reason to clip a Zebralight to the packstrap instead of headstrap is to be more social. It lets you talk to your fellow hikers without blasting them in the face. :eek: :thumbsup:

-Jeff

InTheDark

Enlightened
Awesome night hike. :thumbsup: If you want another beautiful one with a shift of perspective...hike up North Dome at night, full moon, late spring, while the high country is still blanketed in snow. The moon rises over halfdome, and the whole world is lit up by the snow bounce. It's like watching a sunrise with a cool-white tint... :faint:

As for flashlights...IMO the ideal night-hiking setup is a floody headlamp to light your immediate surroundings and foot placement, and a throwy handheld to trailfind and spot at a distance.

This past summer I started using a Zebralight H501w headlamp plus an original Quark (XPE not XPG) in my pocket/hand. Both with neutral white LEDs. Very happy with this setup. The Zebralight beats the stuffing out of my old petzl headlamps that were barely adequate for hiking on a good trail. The original (XPE) Quark is a good thrower for trailfinding 50-100 yards out. The new XPG Quarks are not as good for this unless you get the "Turbo" head.

If you do trail running at night, I would recommend a throwy headlamp like the EOS. But for hiking, flood headlamp + pocket thrower works great.

-Jeff

It's one of my favorite hikes, and the full moon coincided with my trip, it was perfect timing. I had been up there many times but wanted a change, doing it at night turns it into a whole different hike. I'm thinking of doing Clouds rest or Tenaya canyon the next time I'm up there, and I've been contemplating this other "unmaintained" trail for a while.

I don't do any trail running, but if it's cold enough and I'm running late, I do move rather quickly. The brighter the headlamp, the faster I can move.

Keep in mind, a naked LED has a huge flood angle, but the Zebralights have a custom lens to collimate the flood angle.

H501 and H50 have an 80-degree flood with up to 96 lumens OTF. That's plenty of light for hiking, scrambling, or even bushwhacking your own trail. On a well-worn trail, medium modes are fine.

The big issue with night hike lighting is foot-placement/proximity vs. trailfinding/distance usage. Flood is better for the former; throw is better for the latter.

I don't use hiking poles though...so it is easy to pull a thrower out of my pocket occasionally when I want to see farther. If you have hiking poles in both hands, you have to decide. Either pick one light...flood or thrower...or hold the poles in one hand for a few seconds when you want to see farther...

-Jeff

Exactly, you really need both types of beam while night hiking, and it doesn't seem like 1 light will be able to cover it all. I may try a zebra light on the hipbelt, it sounds like the beam might not be as bad as I imagined. I thought they were pure flood, I didn't know the newer ones had an optic in them. The zebra light and a surefire saint looks like they'd complement each other nicely. As I mentioned, I do sometimes carry a real thrower in case I need to do some long distance trail spotting, but most of the time use the RR on my head only as a quick spotter. I can reach up and turn it on to take a quick look around, then turn it off without releasing my hiking poles.

That sounds a little bit extreme. ;)

I think an off-axis beam gives you a few more visual cues, but it doesn't make a huge difference. I also hike under clouds, or trees, or noontime sun, without shadows, without tripping on the roots & rocks.

IMO the main reason to clip a Zebralight to the packstrap instead of headstrap is to be more social. It lets you talk to your fellow hikers without blasting them in the face. :eek: :thumbsup:

-Jeff

The off axis beam helps quite a bit if the level of lighting is low, at least for me. If you have enough lumens, the problem is minimized, but I haven't found any flashlight that can even come close to the brightness of the sun, even on a cloudy or overcast day :p. The worst time seems to be around dusk in the trees, when it's just dark enough that you can't really see the ground, but not dark enough to pull out the headlamp.

There are other reason I don't like having the light on my head. When it's warm, the bugs swarm torwards the light, which feels like you're constantly walking through a cloud of bugs. When it's cold, the fog from your breath gets illuminated by the light so it feels like driving in the fog with high beams on. For the most part, headlamps on the head work fine, but there are times when an alternative placement works better

Last edited:

InTheDark

Enlightened
The Fenix HL20 looks promising. That might be a good replacement headlight. It takes 1AA though, not 2 123As. It's waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes. It's settings are: low-4 lumens (56 hours), medium-48 lumens (5.5 hours), high-105 lumens (1.8 hours), SOS (15 hours). Uses a Cree XP-E l.e.d. which tends to have great throw and no gaps in the beam (we'll see if this is true with this light, hopefully soon). It's under 3 ounces with battery. This information was from another thread that just started today. Sounds like a good replacement for my Princeton Tec EOS headlight as well as the O.P. for this thread. I want one.

I might reconsider the AA option after seeing some of the new lights that are available. I used to have an old Fenix T1? (1AA model) with the optional 123 battery pack, but unfortuately it was misplaced a while ago. I guess the only real reason I was stuck on 123's was because my other lights were already standardized on it, and I have a bunch of 123's. But who knows, maybe Santa will get me a completely new lighting setup this year. :D

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: extreme - He asked a question, how else to describe the flat world of dark forests with headlights? I suspect part of you appreciates the description.

That's an excellent point. Every single time I lend a headlamp I get zapped, and I promise I'll never do it again. Means I should rig a clip light for lending.

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am sure this will sound low-tech, but for walking in the 19-hour long nights of Canada's far North West, I use a Petzl Tactikka, with the red filter down, on the lowest setting, so that my night vision stays intact. I run that on white winkie mode when walking on roads around town, with a red bike 2AAA winkie on the back of the head strap, and lots of Scotchlite reflective tape...