Summer is the anti-flashaholic season

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Longer days and shorter nights. The heat given off by a 2x123 torch or a Luxeon torch is unwelcome. Even when it's dark it's so hot and sticky I tend to stay indoors. Bugs are drawn to the light and more.

I vote we delete July and August from the Deep South and proceed right into September. I am ready for football and hunting season. I don't enjoy the heat, baseball gets boring before the playoffs, the best golf tourneys are past us. Nascar is, well, let's have two races every Sunday during June and Sept.

You "guys" up north probably don't share my sentiments but this isn't the first time. I think the snowbirds are the smart ones but I am too poor and young to have a winter and summer home. What to do, what to do? I guess I will save my batteries and suck it up until Sept. As hot and humid as it is today it still beats single digit temps. in the winter, at least for me. I'll stay put.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i live in michigan...it isnt as hot as the deep south, but is stupidly humid.

90 degrees here feels the same as 110 in vegas.

i feel your pain.

i was also down in florida last summer....HOT and HUMID!

one thing: i tend to camp and hike more in the spring/summer months--use the flashlights a lot.

what is really freaky is that where i live in michigan, we have an actual temperature range (not including heat indexes and wind chill) of over 100 degrees!
we can occasionally reach 0 degrees in the winter, and go beyond 100 in the summer. oh, and we tend to get a LOT of snow in northern michigan (lake effect) and the UP.

is there any place with a narrower, and more comfortable range? looking for utopia...

Bob

reddwarf

Newly Enlightened
I can feel your pain Diesel,the life-sucking humidity is entirely unbearable in my little part of the world right now,and still looking down the barrel at August.AAAAARRRRGH!!If only Belize beachfront would come down several million dollars.Group buy anyone???

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
No utopia here either, Bob, but a MUCH narrower temp. spread of extremes.

Examples:In my desert home, low temps usually only go to about a 34° low to a high of about 110°, but not so noticeable as we're DRY AS A BONE in SoCal.In my other mountain house, (closer to L.A.) the temps only vary from a "cold" in Dec-Jan. of 46° ---to 95° in late July-Sept. -again, almost always with Very low humidity of 40% or less. SoCal is known for having relatively timid, faint seasonal changes. When we get over 15" of rain in a year's time, we consider it a wet year.! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Almost boring weather....... :p

We did get about 1/4" of snow down here -one day in 1953. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now, if we just didn't have to worry about those pesky earthquakes........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
If anyone can manage to find a region in which the temperature ranges from 50 to 80 degrees from winter to summer, respectively, and with zero humidity, please let me know.

As for summer being the anti-flashaholic season, there is also the burden of packing your edc in a pair or shorts. At least in the fall and winter you can wear a jacket to stow your gear, not so when the heat index is around 103 like it has been this week in Pennsylvania.

-Dale

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here in Seattle, the average daytime high in January is around 43°F, and the average daytime high in July is 77°F.

In the winter, we usually get 12" of snow for the whole season, but some years we don't get any at all. This last winter (2002/2003) we didn't get a single flake - at least not in the downtown Seattle and Capitol Hill areas.

The humidity is usually around 80%, so on those relatively rare days we top 90°F, it feels hotter than heck.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I've found my utopia on southern Vancouver Island,much the same as Craigs but with refreshing ocean breezes for most of the summmer which cool the nights nicely.Get some dandy tree fellin windstorms in the winter though.

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
This last winter (2002/2003) we didn't get a single flake - at least not in the downtown Seattle and Capitol Hill areas.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nor in Tacoma. I drive a taxi on Fort Lewis, and oftentimes newly arriving soldiers will ask me about the weather here. They usually have been told about all the rain, but they're surprised when I tell them how little it snows. They always say: "it's so far north, I thought it would be colder."

Max

Greta

Flashaholic
Current temperature at 5:40PM... 115 degrees... humidity is a little high at 27%... we're entering monsoon season... it's a dry heat... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm baking biscuits in my car right now. It's just below the temperature of the sun even though the sun has been down for a while. Any more humidity and I'll be under water. Wait! We've been on and off flood watches for the past week now from all the rain. I am basically underwater. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Sasha, I've only spent two nights in Arizona, and neither permitted any sleep. The first night was spent in Flagstaff as I stopped overnight while on the way to California. I got permission from a service station to nap overnight in my car in his lot. I just about froze my tutti off before giving up on sleep and moving on. The second night was during a visit to my sister's home in Casa Grande. Even with air conditioning, the heat wouldn't permit a decent night's sleep.

Her response of "yeah it's hot, but it's a dry heat" did nothing to cool me down. Even the residents of hell could boast the same thing.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Even the residents of hell could boast the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now ya got the picture! It really pisses me off when people sit there and say... "but it's a dry heat!"... listen people... 115 degrees is freakin' hot. Humid... dry... raining... blizzarding... 115 degrees is freakin' HOT!! Don't tell me that it's not so bad 'cuz "it's a dry heat". NO!! IT'S 115 FREAKIN' DEGREES!!! IT'S HOT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Ok... I'm all through now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom pulls that "dry heat" thing on me when she wants me to come and visit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We only visit Arizona in the winter or spring. The only thing that can be said for "dry heat" is that if there is a breeze then sweating actually works. Around here it's a pointless exercise. I spent the day in my garage building a huge L shaped desk for my new office and I can tell you that even this early in the summer, sweating has already lost any value...

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Orcinus Orca said:
If anyone can manage to find a region in which the temperature ranges from 50 to 80 degrees from winter to summer, respectively, and with zero humidity, please let me know.

As for summer being the anti-flashaholic season, there is also the burden of packing your edc in a pair or shorts. At least in the fall and winter you can wear a jacket to stow your gear, not so when the heat index is around 103 like it has been this week in Pennsylvania.

-Dale

[/ QUOTE ]

You are basically describing Northern California! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or along the coast in the San Francisco Bay Area to be precise. The place I live (Daly City, south of San Francisco) is around 60-70ish during summer and 40-50ish during winter. Now, every once in a while we have those crazy 100+ days in the bay area (like couple days ago) but those are rare, and summer is usually foggy and cool in the morning, then the Sun will usually burn the fog off mid-day and it's a typical California sunshine day (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif <---don't forget the sun glasses!) unless it's an ultra foggy day. For winter, we don't have snow here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif, and a lot of people think we only have 2 seasons here, cause the season change is hardly noticeable. If you go inland, it's a little more extreme, more sunshine and the temperature varies more, something like mid 30s to lower 40s in the winter to the 90s in summer. I am going to miss this weather...I am going to move to Mississippi in August for school, hope I will get used to the humid over there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there any place with a narrower, and more comfortable range? looking for utopia...
------------------

Try Hawaii...

When Death Valley reaches 120+ degrees, I will certainly try frying an egg on the blacktop... It's so hot down in Needles, CA, where one of my old high school friends lives, that he can feel the conditioned air being sucked right through his window and the heat radiating from the walls of his home as if there's a fire outside...

He can't wait 'till winter rolls around...

I hate bashing my own hometown, but if you want to go to a pretty miserable place in dead heat of summertime, try visiting Fresno (CA)... Heat there is usually mid-90s to over 105 degrees. Humidity varies, but the ABSOLUTE WORST thing isn't so much the heat. It's the SMOG... Fresno is, I believe, the smoggiest or 2nd smoggiest city in the United States. And that doesn't bode well when it's 105 outside... It feels like your skin's peeling off...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i completely understand what most of you are saying--especially the part about the "dry heat".
the thing that sucks about the humidity, is that you sweat profusely, and the sweat just lays on you--it never evaporates. you are wet and sticky all day!

we honeymooned in vegas, grand canyon and zion. it was unusually hot in the area--vegas even set a record of 110 degrees (the old record was 107.). vegas never dipped below 94 degrees for the 4 days we were there.

yeah..dry heat..is HOT! we were at hoover dam, and i have a pic of the thermometer (in the shade) showing 117 degrees. even with the breeze it feels like a blast furnace.

the grand canyon was also unusually hot. it is strange that as you descend into the canyon, it grows hotter! i didnt realize that the colorado plateau was at altitude--therefore it is cooler on the rim than at the bottom.

zion was pretty warm, but bearable--just over 100. it is also an incredibly beautiful park.

you folks in the southwest most spend a small fortune on sunscreen.

Bob

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
you folks in the southwest most spend a small fortune on sunscreen.

...Not to mention a ton on air conditioning...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Question for FalconFX or one of our engineers.
AC usage at 90 degrees and 80% humidity -vs- 110 degrees and 40% humidity. Which one works harder to keep you comfortable?

I could come close to getting a river named for the run-off condensation from my home AC.

As unpopular as it is I do tolerate "dry heat" much better than humidity. I usually go to Southwest Texas (Uvalde) Labor Day weekend to hunt. The avg. temp. on Sept. 1st in Uvalde is 94 degrees and the humidity is about 50%. It feels like it's at least 10 degrees cooler than Pensacola but Pensacola's avg. temp. on Sept. 1st is 89 degrees with a humidity of 70-80%. I am sweating like a pig in P-Cola as I pack for my trip. So, I must conclude dry heat is easier to live with up to 100 degrees then it's just brutal. On the other hand I have spent several weeks in Yuma and El Centro during the Summer and I believe they provided the concept for the convection oven. The wind, when there was some felt like jet exhaust.

All in all I prefer San Diego's Summers and my current winters if given a choice. I must say to Sasha and company living in AZ are gluttons for Summer punishment. Those of you living in or near Canada or in an area with a similar climate, enjoy the heat while you can.

In the meantime I will be dreaming of the first strong cold front and a 50-degree morning.