Buying New Light - TK40 or Ace-G?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here at CPF. All this winter darkness has gotten me back to looking for flashlights with the WOW factor. I apologize if this question has been asked, I tried searching as I'm sure this question has been asked already, but I couldn't find a thread that answers my question?

My price budget is around $150 and I wanted to use either AA or CR123 batteries. For now, I'd like to avoid rechargeables...

I'm debating on the the Fenix TK40 or the Tiablo Ace-G? I'm looking for "throw", I want to be able to light up the house at the end of the block.

Which light do most people prefer? Am I missing another light that can out perform my two choices while still fitting my criteria?

Any help, information or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Neither of those lights the Thrunite SST-50 is what you need and want you just dont no it yet. Seriously get the Thrunite SST-50. Its better then both of those and uses the awesome SST-50 LED. Thrunite is brighter and throws better and is made to the highest quality.

Flashlightconnection.com has them in stock

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't build yourself a P7 Maglite ;).

I really like mine. And you can decide yourself which size and which runtime you want. You can surely use AAs in a battery adapter.

rayman

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Thanks bulletproof! I've been spending a lot of time here at CPF again. While waiting for a response here, I've been debating on getting a Tiablo A9 with the aspherical lens for its "throw" capability. Plus it cost less than $100...

Now, I'm reading on the Catapult. Looks like a great light and seems to be pretty good. I'll need to see it go against lights like the TK40, ACE-G and the A-9 for comparison. I've got some research to do now : )

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
Youre really gonna want to consider rechargeables with all of these lights. When you enter the realm of High performance lighting, just like performance cars, they are gonna gobble that fuel down like a voracious monster. Alkalines in the TK40 will be a hassle . If you stick to primaries you are gonna be going thru them regardless of type in all of these lights like a kid left alone in a candy store.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Thanks for the input everyone...
I've been looking at the Pila charger, AW 18650 batteries and the cost just goes through the roof : ( Now I remember why I wanted to stay with "standard" batteries.

The only use these flashlights will get is "check out how bright it is!"... Then its back in the drawer, LOL. Unless I can up my flashlight budget, I'll have to avoid 18650 for now.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines in the TK40 will be a hassle.

Not only will alkaline batteries in a TK40 be a hassle, they won't allow the light to reach its full brightness when in the turbo mode. For the TK40 it's Sanyo Eneloop batteries or nothing if you want that Cree MC-E to light up.

In an emergency, alkaline batteries will work in the TK40 though.

snala

Newly Enlightened
My choices are now:

TK40
ACE-G
A9-aspherical lens

They are all sort of different so what do you really want? The A9 with asp lens will make your friends go wow the most as they won't have seen anything like that before but it is a really one dimensional light when set up like that. I.e for close it's pretty much useless.
TK 40 is light everywhere.

If you are only wanting wow factor then runtime doesn't matter to you I guess so maybe AA primary's are the way to go? Same output on TK30 with 2 RCR123's too as an alternative

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought the tiablo A10-G was the better thrower?

but showing your friends the 4 diode MC-E would probably make them WOW too.