New Guy, Listened Silently, bought loudly

mosch

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, thanks to your forum and a random Google search, I've discovered the world of flashlights. Yet again, I have another expensive hobby that only few understand.

Before last week, my few flashlights were nothing above 5 bucks. I was at Wal-Mart and ran across the flashlight section. I saw a 1,000,000 candle flood and decided to by it. It was just incredible, for the 10 minutes it lives prior to recharge.

It was heavy, and fairly large, so needed something else. Ran across your forum, and because of you, I've now spent a over $200 at Battery Junction.
I just purchased, and received a:
Thrunite Catapult
Olight Special edition T20 (impulse buy)

Catapult
I'd like to think I'm a typically guy, fairly tough (golden gloves boxer), yet when I turned the Catapult on in the park next to my house....I giggled like a school girl. It is just incredible the amount of throw this light has! Yet I'm also surprised at how it manages Spill to Throw. While I have no knowledge for comparison, the light is solid and that's that. I became very self-conscious in the park with this thing....It would be a spectacle to anyone passing by. I've seen where people have an opinion that the dual tube should be made into 1. While I'm sure that is a sturdier design, I love the flexibility provided by the extremely small profile it has running on 1 battery. The output is obviously reduced, but I like options. I would be upset to see this go to only 1, long tube.

T20
Yes giggling was present here as well. I am a huge fan of the approach taken to combine a smooth, with orange shell reflector. With a light this small, it has the ability to throw a beam extremely far. I really am a fan of the output adjustment via the head, with it's memory function. This light is brighter than any Mag, or light I've had...which are just massive in size, by comparison.

Question to all,

On my T20, I've noticed a fairly pronounced whine coming from the switch. I listened, and it is present on the Catapult, just no where near as loud (almost need your ear on the thing). With the T20, I can hear it with my arm fully extended, or even a few steps back from it being on a counter top. Is this common? I suppose I don't mind, yet want to ensure it isn't a symptom of a larger problem.

Now, anyone figure out how to make their girlfriend understand? She thinks I'm just absolutely crazy for buying these. She doesn't understand why my 5$ flashlight doesn't get the job done. For me, there is no use for these, other than the enjoyment I get with ridiculous and fairly expensive electronics. Nothing better than opening that box up and seeing what you got! Well, maybe the removal of that film sometimes placed over sensitive parts. That is always a good time. Ha!

My next want is a HID, yet they are still a little pricey, and big for me. I've learned that efficiency is increased, so I'll want the 35 watt models. Looks like Wolfeyes has a good one...

I will need to hold off, as there is something my GF can provide that a flashlight can't. OK, OK.....Now I'm sure the joke following what I just said has already been killed to death here. But I don't want to use a cheap rubber attachment on my torch.

Egsise

Banned
:welcome:

When you calm down perhaps you want to buy an EDC, something small to carry with you, there will be times when you actually need light.

Last edited:

uplite

Enlightened
Welcome to the world of high-power LEDs. Now a flashlight the size of your pinky finger can easily beat an old maglite the size of your arm. :D

Catapult...a single-piece battery tube is nice if you don't want your flashlight to look & feel like an "explosion in a pipefitters shop". :p

Whining...not unusual, especially if the power supply is not potted. If you really care you can open the light and pot the power supply.

HID...if you have a walmart, see if they have the Stanley HID. Dirt-cheap 3000 lumen, 35 watt HID. Then bring it to the park, and you can faint like a victorian schoolgirl touched for the first time. :faint:

Girlfriend...use a small powerful light to find her missing earrings. Go camping and give her a nice light to find her way to the dark bathroom. And...just tell her this is your hobby. If she doesn't understand that you have hobbies...get a new girlfriend. :thumbsup:

-Jeff

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to think I'm a typically guy, fairly tough (golden gloves boxer), yet when I turned the Catapult on in the park next to my house....I giggled like a school girl. .

ive been at this a while now, and EVERY TIME i use one of my quality flashlights i smile.

EVERY TIME

:grin2:

Russz

Newly Enlightened
Well, I found and joined this forum on Nov 5th. Since then, I have purchased 2 Fexix P2Ds, the Olight M20 Christmas set, a RA EDC Clicky, 5 TI AA lights to use and for gifts, a bunch of coin cell lights to give away, and have on order 3 Quark mini AAs, and 1 Quark mini 123. I have also purchased a supply of batteries and holders to carry them in. My wife thinks I'm ready to be committed! I think this stuff is GREAT!
I AM A FLASHAHOLIC!!lovecpf
Russ Z

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Now, anyone figure out how to make their girlfriend understand? She thinks I'm just absolutely crazy for buying these. She doesn't understand why my 5$ flashlight doesn't get the job done
What's worked for me: get her a top-of-the-line light for her car. Once she has to use it (herself) in a utility situation, top-quality lights might begin to have more value to her - think 'ownership' instead of 'his stuff'. Also, go for a lot of nighttime walks (just the two of you) and notice how cars take a better notice of you pedestrians and don't turn into you when they make their turns. In this situation, safety does sell. :huh:

fyrstormer

Banned
You might think few people will understand it, but I've had fairly good luck describing it this way:

"If you think about it, light is on the same level as food and oxygen -- you can't do s**t without it. You have to be able to see to accomplish much of anything, and I'm just collecting tools that help me to see. Beyond that, I'm just admiring the craftsmanship."

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As has already been mentioned, go for an EDC and experience the smile that happens when you have so much light hidden in the grip of your hand. Too darn many good ones to choose from - Nitecore, Ra, Novatac, Quark, Jetbeam, Surefire - it goes on and on, or jump off the deep end and buy yourself a gorgeous McGizmo Haiku in stunning titanium.

Those lights will ALWAYS been with you and it is amazing how many times having that 'little' light with you will make life easier....

Welcome. Run away now while you can - your wallet will thank you!

$$$:poof:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I'm new here too, looked around for a few days and had to order the Olight M30...when it arrived I giggled and danced a jig! I haven't been more than two feet from it since. I also need to think smaller and maybe get a keychain light next. This place is awesome lovecpf