options for a surefire z3??

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, i come to you in search for some help. i've read thread after thread about drop ins and batteries and such. here are some questions for all of you that know more than i do. i need a drop in led for a 3 cell surefire. i'm a throw freak but it has to be useable throw of course. i've used my M6 for years now and its still my fav. i'm looking for a similar beam from a z3. it has to run on 2 17500s, or 3 primaries (preferably 2 18500s as well). i'm used to 250-500 lumens from a surefire kt4 and want something similar from a z3. when i say it must run on 2 17500s and 3 primaries is because i'm a LEO and it will be in a v85 holster on my duty belt and thus the power options.

as my search continues it seems that the malkoffs m60 is the one to go with but i would like more lumens out the front if i could. i've been looking and reading about this tripple led drop in made by someone here and i really like it but it cannot be ran on 2 recharables or 3 primaries. not only that but the beam doesn't seem to compare too well to the M6 at least that i've seen. if someone can prove this wrong please enlighten me lol.

thanks for the help in advance.

fred
azzkikr

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I really like my M60, it is not pure throw but it has a very pleasing transition between hotspot and spill due to the optic, I've found that more useful in the field than the abrupt transition from hotspot to spill that comes from a reflector design (that I tried for a while). Also, the M60 is the most solid unit out there IMO. If you can be patient, Gene Malkoff is currently working on adapting his top-notch module design to the higher-output Cree XP-G LED. If you cannot wait and must have the new XP-G emitter right now, I'd recommend any of the popular XP-G modules currrently offered here on CPF. I haven't used any of these units, perhaps someone might be on shortly who has experience with these and can recommend a particular one.

I do love my Malkoff M60 and it is possibly the most popular LED drop-in for LEOs here on CPF. I've been very happy using 2x AW 17500's with it (works great, ~1h 45 min of runtime) but am currently getting my SureFire C3 bored for 2x AW 18500's (for ~2h 20 min estimated runtime).

Hope this helps,
K

Last edited:

tundratrader

Enlightened
Nailbender can make something for 17500 or 18500 cells and primaries. I would pm him and ask. Read his thread as well, you will find alot of info there about what you are wanting to do. Of course you really cant go wrong with a malkoff. You will be impressed with the throw and brightness.
Zach

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire Z3 Combatlight has been discontinued for about 6 years now and is not a very common light to find anymore. I don't recommend having it bored out.

Forum member Fivemega makes a black hard anodized 2 x 18500 replacement body that will work great with your tailcap and head.

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
an xp-g m60 sounds like something i would get without a doubt. i'm not looking to bore the z3s that i have just yet, specially for just runtime. after all i do need the structural integrity of the light to remain strong as i have used the light as an impact tool in the past(not everyone cooperates with the POPO). I really like the idea of optics in lights with leds thats why i wish surefire would make a TIR lens for the p60 size heads.

Larry237

Newly Enlightened
I''m also a fan of the Z2 and Z3, on and off LEO duty (now retired). I have a Malkoff M60 for my Z3 and I have run it with two 17500's. That setup works very well, with an even beam and a good combination of spot and throw. Lately, I am using a Nailbender XP-G, R4, 1 mode, 4 to 14 volts input, and this is becoming a favorite. I have also been running it on two 17,500's. It puts out more light in a very large, even spot that throws a little less than the Malkoff. It is very effective in showing up objects out to about 60 yards. Nailbender is working on some better throwers, including a D36 head and drop-ins. You might want to check with him. You are limited in throw with the P60 drop-ins, but I suspect that better reflectors and/or optics will be developed that can improve throw a little bit, if you want that. I think that either the Malkoff or the XP-G would work well for most situations on duty. Be careful out there.

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
will do, and thanks larry. those xp-g seem to be taking off very well. i have seem some of those d36 drop ins around here and seem like they do throw a good bit more the bad thing about it is that i don't really find a good holster for it. that v85 is almost perfect for us out here on the streets.

i already have a kt2 on one of my other 9v lights and love the beam of course, its just like my m6 but a kt2 would not be at home on my duty belt as its too big. and i'm not sure that the LED towers are all there with reliability. i could be wrong as i've not used one nor played with one yet but still has the problem of using the turbohead.

fred

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
i'm sorry if i did not make it clear in the first post. i'm looking to update the z3 into an led thrower with the stock bezzel.

Superdave

Enlightened
my Z3 with a KT2, MN16 lamp on 2 18500's is just a hair over 500L out the front. It's almost identical to a M6/MN21 on primaries.

I've tested both in my sphere and was rather impressed.

If you stay with the stock bezel then check out the P60/D26 dropin thread..

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252

I highly recommend the lumens factory R2 single mode dropin, i've got it in my 9P and it throws amazing for such a small reflector.

DM51

Flashaholic
i'm sorry if i did not make it clear in the first post. i'm looking to update the z3 into an led thrower with the stock bezzel.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll move this into the LED Flashlights section for you.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok what does the led gurus have that would help me out?

thanks
Well, your throw will be limited because of the 26mm reflector on your Z3. But you definitely should try a Malkoff M60 drop-in. You can run it on either 3xCR123 primaries or 2x17500 rechargeable li-ion cells.

If you really want to get some serious throw out of your Z3, then get a KT2, a HO-M6R lamp assembly and 3x16340 IMR cells.

Cheers.

azzkikr

Newly Enlightened
Well, your throw will be limited because of the 26mm reflector on your Z3. But you definitely should try a Malkoff M60 drop-in. You can run it on either 3xCR123 primaries or 2x17500 rechargeable li-ion cells.

If you really want to get some serious throw out of your Z3, then get a KT2, a HO-M6R lamp assembly and 3x16340 IMR cells.

Cheers.

while the kt2 with the ho-m6r lamp sound fun and doable since i already have a kt2 laying around, i cannot carry that in the v85 holster and thus my need to stay with the current head.

thanks
fred

Latest posts