Looking for some gloves...?

m16a

Enlightened
Howdy folks, I'm here for a rather random question. I am looking for a solid pair of gloves, hopefully perfect for my needs. Now, in all probability, they don't exist, but I hope that the lovely CPF members could give me a hand on input at the very least. So here is my criteria for the glove, I'll be ordering online, so that isn't a problem.

• Should be warm enough to span to the low 20's if possible. I live in the Philly area, so our typical winters go down to this. Please keep in mind that my circulatory system is pretty good, and I don't get cold terribly easily.
  • Should have a decent semblance of water resistance. Enough to at least handle being rained/snowed on, or handling snowy objects for brief periods of time.
  • Should be form fitting and maintain a good bit of dexterity. While it is impossible for full dexterity with gloves on to ever be attained, as close as possible would be good. :) (This is a really important one to mean, the only true dealbreaker.)
  • Should be ~$30 if possible. I can sacrifice and go higher if it was somehow needed.
Okey dokey, you see the criteria. I'll continue to search, and hopefully weigh your suggestions as well. Thanks for the help! PS- I've already tried Under Armour fleece gloves, they worked, but weren't quite as water resistant as I'd like. Also, I've heard suggestions of Nomex gloves in the past. Are they form fitting and water resistant as well? Please let me know on all regards! :)

M16a

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used neoprene gloves before, and I didn't like them. Sure they keep your hands warm, but they don't keep your hands dry. The sweat from your hands tends to accumulate in the gloves until it decides to drip down your sleeves. They're also nowhere near as durable as most gloves.

m16a

Enlightened
I've used neoprene gloves before, and I didn't like them. Sure they keep your hands warm, but they don't keep your hands dry. The sweat from your hands tends to accumulate in the gloves until it decides to drip down your sleeves. They're also nowhere near as durable as most gloves.

Hmmm... Alright. Do you have any recommendations based on personal usage?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal observations have been that your hands are going to get wet, even in waterproof gloves. They only way to counter this is to have a couple of spare pair to wear whilst the first pair is drying.

You might check out the Force Nine or DTPro gloves at Duluth Trading. They seem like they might fit the bill.

m16a

Enlightened
My personal observations have been that your hands are going to get wet, even in waterproof gloves. They only way to counter this is to have a couple of spare pair to wear whilst the first pair is drying.

You might check out the Force Nine or DTPro gloves at Duluth Trading. They seem like they might fit the bill.

The DTpro look solid. However, in your experience, how long does it take for your hands to get wet from sweat or whatever while you wear them? (or gloves in general, you may be thinking longer term than I use my gloves.)

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That depends entirely on how much I have my hands in the snow.

When I'm using the 4-wheeler to push snow, I'm getting pelted constantly, and my hands are usually wet in 15 minutes with the cheapie gloves I have.

If I'm just hauling feed or cleaning barns, it's generally not even an issue.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for the same things you are and I bought some Ironclad Cold Condition gloves.

They're not really that fuzzy-warm, but they keep the wind and water off, and that's really what's going to keep your hands from getting cold. They're about as good as you're going to get as far as keeping your dexterity.

m16a

Enlightened
I was looking for the same things you are and I bought some Ironclad Cold Condition gloves.

They're not really that fuzzy-warm, but they keep the wind and water off, and that's really what's going to keep your hands from getting cold. They're about as good as you're going to get as far as keeping your dexterity.

Happen to have experience with the DTPro's? How are they warmth comparison wise? As for the Ironclad's, you say the dexterity is good? Some of the reveiws seem to mention some tightness.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happen to have experience with the DTPro's? How are they warmth comparison wise? As for the Ironclad's, you say the dexterity is good? Some of the reveiws seem to mention some tightness.

I don't have experience with the DTPros, but they look to be of similar construction to the Ironclads, except that the DTPros look to have an expandable velcro closure with a hole at the top/inside of the wrist while the Ironclads have a gapless neoprene gauntlet that goes up past the wrist, which I think is better for a winter glove.

I have a large in the Ironclads and they stretch around my fingers, but that's how they're supposed to fit. That's how your hands aren't swimming in them, so to speak, and that's what gives you the dexterity.