So I almost bought a Surefire...

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I was in a LEO supply store that has Surefire and Streamlight in stock and I've been drooling over an E2DL for awhile now.
I have just cashed in some vacation hours at work so I have some extra money though I promised the wife we could get a new lappy.

I stewed long and hard before putting the box back on the rack and leaving.

My flashie collection isn't terribly diverse:
Fenix LD01
Fenix LD10
Fenix TK10
Fenix TK20....get the theme?
Streamlight Microstream

I'd like to branch out with my next buy, eventually I'd like to own a top-flight brand like Surefire.
My question is...should I go for the E2DL when I have the guilt-free money (probably after Christmas) or should I use it on a couple other middle tier lights?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one will definitely say get the E2DL.

It is still one of my most used and loved lights of my collection :thumbsup:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you already have a TK10, I think that an E2DL wouldn't really be necessary. If your current light works fine and is reliable, there isn't really any reason to waste your money on another light that is designed essentially for the same purposes, and has similar output. There is nothing wrong with "middle tier" lights such as Fenix, and in most cases they will be just as durable.
If I was going to spend 100+ dollars on a 2 cell sized LED light, I would probably get a malkoff MD2 or MD3 and a malkoff LED module. With the 2 stage ring, you get a low mode that should be around the same output as the E2DL, and a much wider choice in dropin modules. Gene's support is also about as good as it gets, and since he owns his company, he can probably do a lot more for customers than a huge company like Surefire can.

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
Since you already have a TK10, I think that an E2DL wouldn't really be necessary.

The TK10 is usually my LEO wife's backup light actually, I just count it in my collection as I'm the one maintaining it. I don't get to carry it as much as I'd like....plus I'd like to see them both face off.

When I said mid-tier lights I meant I'd like to check out other makers like Quark, Nitecore, Lumapower, etc.... I'm still trying to nail down my favorite UI and form factor so I'd like to check out as many different lights as I can afford.

But the draw of the E2 is mighty......must....not ....succumb....

rje58

Enlightened
All flashaholics need at LEAST one Surefire... :)

Personally, I have ... four at the moment, not including a 6P body, a few tailcaps and miscellaneous parts...

The TK10 is usually my LEO wife's backup light actually, I just count it in my collection as I'm the one maintaining it. I don't get to carry it as much as I'd like....plus I'd like to see them both face off.

When I said mid-tier lights I meant I'd like to check out other makers like Quark, Nitecore, Lumapower, etc.... I'm still trying to nail down my favorite UI and form factor so I'd like to check out as many different lights as I can afford.

But the draw of the E2 is mighty......must....not ....succumb....

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't that basically a total contradiction within one post? :thinking:
No, it isn't a contradiction. I said that it seemed like the OP didn't presently have a need for the light (although it seems that he does, as the TK10 isn't available to him all of the time), and that there is no sense in buying a light if you don't need to spend the money on it.
I then said that if I was in the OP's position and was going to spend over $100 on a two cell light with 2 modes, I would get the Malkoff MD2 with the two mode ring (which would actually cost less). I personally don't see any reason to buy a surefire "just to buy a surefire," primarily because I use almost exclusively lithium ion rechargeable cells, and the surefires are designed for CR123s. There are plenty of lights (like the MD2) which have the same functionality and comparable build quality and reliability that do offer more battery options, and for less money.
If surefire had a lithium ion powered light (other than their HIDs) then I might consider getting it, but I don't see that happening in the near future. I like the concept of "guilt free lumens" too much to give that up just for a surefire, and have to pay 3+ dollars for every few hours of light.

That said, I feel that the MD2 offers everything that the E2Dl does, at a lower price. It is also made in the U.S. just like the surefire, and comes with excellent customer service, just like the surefires. As an added bonus, you get a lot more upgrade-ability because of the multitude of different malkoff modules available with different output levels, beam patterns, and tints.

Last edited:

rje58

Enlightened
Just for clarification, aren't the Malkoff modules available for just about any P60-compatible host? not just one brand of host?

As an added bonus, you get a lot more upgrade-ability because of the multitude of different malkoff modules available with different output levels, beam patterns, and tints.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but the 2-mode ring will only work with the Malkoff hosts. The MD2 also probably has the best heat dissipation for the Malkoff modules, since the head is designed for that specific module.
Yes, you could put one in a surefire, but then you could not use batteries with an 18mm diameter.

post tenebras

Enlightened
An E2DL was my first "real" flashlight, the one that started me down this road to flashaholism. It's an awesome light, even better now with 200 lumens. If you're only going to own one SureFire, this is a great contender.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
You can't go wrong with the E2DL, I say go for it. I miss my old E2D, it may have rip bunch of holes in pants pockets but it is definitely one of the best EDC I have ever own. :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have an E2D (inca. version).

Brighter output would be the only improvement it could use.

Get the E2DL.

(I'd get one myself, but I have two Milky-modded Surefires that I'm currently enjoying). :D

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES E2DL or LX2 for sure.

:twothumbs

+1!

You can't go wrong with either of these lights. Personally, I prefer the user interface and bezel down clip ability of the LX2, but the E2DL would be an excellent choice as well!

-Robert

a99raptors

Enlightened
All flashaholics need at LEAST one Surefire... :)

Personally, I have ... four at the moment, not including a 6P body, a few tailcaps and miscellaneous parts...

All flashaholics need at least a dozen Surefires! lovecpf

I have EDCed an E2DL since it was launched and it has fantastic output for its size, and also useful as a last ditch defensive weapon.

If you've got the money, I say go for it. If not then you are better off getting a lower end model (G2L for instance) until you do have enough to splurge on. Remember, Surefire updates their models regularly anyway..... So if you don't get one this time, the next time round it's gonna be better and brighter anyway!