Pelican M6 at Frys! But HURRY!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
This is NOT an advertisement, as I have nothing to do with Frys except buying stuff from them.

I was in my local (WAY across town!) Frys tonight. I was looking for another RAM switch (or three).

I looked at the flashlight section as I always do when so infrequently there. There were PLENTY of M6s in stock. Black ones are on sale thru 7-1-03 (so you better hurry!!!) for 39.99 regularly (and for silver ones) 59.99. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So I grabbed a black one. Nice heft. Good feel. Haven't hit a wall with it yet, but in the car it seems to focus very well and centered. And at home before getting on to type this, I shined it up at some trees in my and an adjoining yard. Lit 'em up pretty darn good! Also the beam is visible when shined up into our dirty air. Kinda like a light saber! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I felt 39.99 at a brick-and-mortar store was a good enough deal, and like the light a lot so far!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only thing I don't like is the tail has to be WAY unscrewed to safe the tail button. I'm going to look into chopping a spring or something to get it screwed on further. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

And maybe somebody ought to look into a Kroll drop-on mod for it.... (hint hint) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
And maybe somebody ought to look into a Kroll drop-on mod for it.... (hint hint) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been done, by Flashlightlens.com!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oh yeah! Also met a fellow flashaholic! He has discovered LEDs, but only in cheap lights.

I told him about CPF, and he assured me he will check it out! Because a place devoted to light has got to be good!

I feel so good right now!

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
I saw that there and though about getting it but I fugured it was one of those "too good to be true" things. How can the Pelican be 108 lumens for 75 minutes and 75 hours of bulb life? The SureFire 2 cell is 65 lumens for 60 minutes with 20-25 hour bulb life.

The batteries that come with the Pelican must be rated somewhere around 1800-2000 mAH?

How can they get away with false advertising? Guess no one has ever complained.

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Well heck I'm just curious now. I'm going to go get it tomorrow and run it side by side with a P60.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PM6 is brighter than the E2e's MN03. It is brighter than a P60 as well... A P61, well, it's close, but I think the SFP61's a little brighter. But the PM6 does throw farther because its hotspot's much smaller than the "wall" of light that the P6xs throw...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I compared it against my G2 with it's P60. The Peli focuses tighter and is thus brighter/whiter. It has a textured reflector and so still makes a nice beam if a bit tighter.

As to runtime, I'm not the sort who regularly tests that. But used intermitently it should compare to carrying my Madmax mini.

Now. I looked it over and have found that the spring on the back of the light module is pretty long and quite stiff. I can find no other purpose for it besides shock buffering. So I believe I could Dremel it in half at least and get the tail cap screwed on another 3/16 to 1/4 or so.

Anyone care to verify?

Max Lumens

Newly Enlightened
The day I received my M6 I did exactly what you are thinking. I ground the spring on the lamp assembly to half it's original length. Now the tailcap screws down to a normal distance to the body. It looks better and still functions perfectly. The only thing is it seems a little troublesome to have to do this with every new lamp assembly.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
FYI,

In the current iteration of the PM6, the geometry has been fixed so you can achieve lock out without exposing the O-ring.

- Don

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't doubting the brightness, just the runtime of 75 minutes. If it's true, it's definitely a keeper!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spring in the tailcap on my PM6 started out by exposing the o-ring in the lockout position but has since broken in to the point it doesn't do it anymore.

I think that there was a thread somewhere here on the PM6 that included a review by brightnorm praising the brightness and throw of the PM6 and there was a runtime graph comparing it to a P6 and some other lights that showed some slightly better runtime performance as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Just for grins I tried my G2 Clickie (ordered from Dat2zips site I think) on the P6 body. I had to have the lamp assembly off the other end to do it, but it does fit...

With Assly on and batts it isn't possible.

It looks as if if the guts came out of the stock switch the replacement switch for my G2 would go in there...

How do you get the guts out? Or is there already a drop on replacement? It seems like a darn nice light with just a slight improvement needed...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Whoops!

I cut right at 3/16 off the spring.

Now the tail screws on tight without the light coming on (no constant on at this point). And a firm push activates momentary.

So don't cut more than half!!! (although it ain't gonna be a battery eater too badly like this!)

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this thing's worth $40....? Alright, I might have to go see..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Slick.

It feels very solid, and slightly heavy. Very good construction. Functionally similar to SF G2(and perhaps other models - I don't own any other) in that there is as delivered a momentary on with a tail button, and constant on with screwing the tail on more. It is also focusable, although on anything other than tight focus you get a dark hole. And focused that way it is brighter/whiter than the p60 Lamp Assembly in my G2.

Should there exist a clickie mod it would be a very good competitor for some of the SFs.

I say unless you can find one online for cheap enough to make purchase and shipping come out less than 39.95+tax...

GO BUY ONE AT FRYS!

Unless of course you aren't crazy like I am and COULD do without it altogether. But would any of us be here if we didn't buy lights we didn't need???

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. I picked up one of the last few remaining ones at my Fry's. I've seen them there for a while and they have been tempting me to buy one, but not at the $59.99 regular price. But at this price, it's a nice little light!

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Picked one up today. They had tons of them, so many that there were boxes and boxes of them. Anyway, it's a very nice light.

A little too heavy for EDC, but good quality. But with the G2 at $27.99 and dorcy at $13 the Pelican M6 seems expensive at $40.

It does seem a bit brighter than the G2, I'm testing the 75 minute runtime claim tonight.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Black ones are on sale thru 7-1-03 (so you better hurry!!!) for 39.99 regularly (and for silver ones) 59.99. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the heads-up.