Porsche li-ion car battery...

B@rt

Flashaholic
Porsche came out with a weightsaving new car battery for a killer price: only $1700.= :green: I can see a waitinglist for them forming already. :p
porschelightweightlithi.jpg

Oh, you will still need a regulare battery as well for winter... :whistle:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Ouch, I really don't want to lie on the car seat under this cell after a serious car crash... I think that it's very dangerous and for serious weight reduction and racing performance gain is much better to remove battery and starter out of the car. And start using external engine starter like F1 cars have;)

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Why are you all so afraid of the batteries? The Tesla electric sportscar for example contains 6831 cells of the lithium 18650 cells... I'm guessing most people here wouldn't want to come within a mile radius from that thing or what? :sigh:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Becouse I recently did an experiment with Li-Ion overcharging and I'm shocked how big amount of energy contains single 18650 cell... Then I imagine THIS battery close to the full tank of petrol... :poof: this is the only one thought which come to my mind!:D

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, I really don't want to lie on the car seat under this cell after a serious car crash... I think that it's very dangerous and for serious weight reduction and racing performance gain is much better to remove battery and starter out of the car. And start using external engine starter like F1 cars have;)
But those are lithium-iron-phosphate cells, therefore 'safe chemistry'. They are not likely to be very volatile compared to lithium cobalt chemistry.

Illum

Flashaholic
I wonder if its available as a standalone item...while its not cheap [at all] it could potentially be a "stowaway" auxillary battery for any car, not just the Porsche that could be independently charged and connected to the PbSO4 clunker under the hood by a flip of a switch.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, you will still need a regulare battery as well for winter... :whistle:

It seems like a minimal, thermostatically controlled heat pad (which ran off the battery) could be installed underneath the cells, within the enclosure, to combat cold temperatures. In an enclosure that small, it wouldn't take very much current to power it. Unless you left your car idle for days, it wouldn't drain the battery significantly.

At $1700, the additional cost would be proportionately negligible. :)

Dave

The Dane

Enlightened

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that Lithium batteries aren't affected by cold temperatures?
"Lithium" is too broad of a term.

It depends on the chemistry.

Some lithium cells (L91/92, EA91/92, CR123A primary) are not adversely affected by cold while other types of "Lithium" cells (lithium-cobalt, LiFePO4) are affected by cold.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, let me see here.

If they wanted big batteries they would probably use big cells, but on the other hand if they wanted to save space and weight they would probably use the minimum required to do the job. Like the Porsche one, dont you think?

Might be worthwhile to compare the size and weight specs of both cells.

spencer

Enlightened
I was thinking a flashlight around just one of those cells. It would be REALLY wide but 58Wh is alot of runtime. Discharge current of almost 400A. WOW.

Jumi

Enlightened
I's about time, well done Porsche and Gaia:twothumbs

So how long does it take other manufacturers to make their own using same cells, add their own electronics and sell it without Porsche add.

That Gaia cell is nice,up to 792A for 2 second.

so if I connect 4 of these cells, how long would they work well without balancing electronics in normal car?

Juha