anyone change emitter on M2XC4?

houtex

Enlightened
I have the Eagletac M2XC4. I'm very happy with the light but like most of us I want more LIGHT! Has anyone done a swap? Would it be as simple as just switching led's to get more light?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to be hard to get more light out of that light as the only LEDs that fit in the heat sink are a XR-Es and the SST-50. I suppose you could swap them for XP-Gs on stars but it'll be hard to get them center.

It's possible to up the output current on the light by changing the sense resistor.

You'll need thermal epoxy to reassemble the light and it's difficult as the reflector will likely shear the domes off. I've opened the XC4 and the C4.

houtex

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply tebore.

It's that this is one of my most favorite lights though it's not the most practical to carry,so I figure why not make it a true WOW light and get the most lumens out of it even if it only runs a half hour or so. I love the UI of it,now it needs more punch!

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply tebore.

It's that this is one of my most favorite lights though it's not the most practical to carry,so I figure why not make it a true WOW light and get the most lumens out of it even if it only runs a half hour or so. I love the UI of it,now it needs more punch!

It's not so bad, I have it on my belt if I know I'll be using a light. I've played around with the circuit there's a sense resistor that needs to be changed to increase current. I used an old overclocker trick where I used a lead pencil to trace around it to lower resistance and increase current. I did it while testing with a multi-meter. In my M2C4 I swapped the emitter to a SUN tint P7 and replaced the stock epoxy AS5 epoxy. The current is around 3.0-3.1A. The light seems to be holding up fine. I would do it to my M2XC4 but I would replace it with SST50s but it's too expensive to do at the moment.