Nine volting the EverLed lamps.

Wylie

Enlightened
I have done some searching and have not been able to find anything about EveLeds that have been run on nine volts. I know this is not really the modders kind of game but what the heck with a PR base right. Nine volts is where the peak efficiency is with the EveLed so why not work from there I figure. Put a couple different lamps and a spring in a holster box with some fractional A cell rechargeables, 123s and or cr2 and your well set for a lot of different applications.
Oh sorry I was thinking of the LX or the Spyder as the host.
It may just be the day I am having but this sounds pretty good to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Any thoughts?
I have a little part I would like to have made or make that would take this a couple steps further if this can be done with either of these flashlights.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read that the Everleds efficiency (brightness) peaks at 3 cells (4.5 volts). I don't think it's any brighter with 9 volts.

I found it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week or so back I checked this and reported:

1 Volt, .01 Amps, 9 Fc (Foot Candles)
2 V, .46 A, 450 Fc
3 V, .42 A, 570 Fc
4 V. .35 A, 630 Fc
5 V, .29 A, 650 Fc
6 V, .24 A, 650 Fc
7 V, .20 A, 650 Fc
8 V, .16 A, 650 Fc
9 V, .13 A, 650 Fc

So, it would seem that 3 Volts is indeed 'falling out' of regulation. Note the light output (a random, but consistent set up) is constant above about 4.5 Volts. At 3 Volts, output (and power in) are down a bit over 10%. While not enough to notice in most conditions, it should be easy to spot on an 'A or B' test and it is real.

It's also worth noting that the efficiency seems to go up at higher voltages, that is the unit draws only 1.17 Watts at 9 Volts for the same light output (LED current) as 1.45 Watts at 5 Volts. Efficiency freaks take note.

Doug Owen

Wylie

Enlightened
I understand the EverLed is not any brighter at 9 volt then 6 or 5 and the efficiency at nine volt is not that much greater in terms of watts. This is the reason I mentioned this is not your average modders type of game plan. The fact is the EverLeds are more efficient at nine volt then lesser voltage and the higher voltage will allow for more applications with the one flashlight if various interchangeable parts are included. I have seen Doug Owens post before and the information is excellent, the EverLeds do have a limited output potential. When you put it in terms of watts it really doesn't seem to be much but we're dealing with batteries here. From a nine-volt power source to a five volt (just before the fall off of the LEDs output) there is a difference in current draw of 220 ma. That is two thirds of the demand that would be needed to run another 1 watt LED at specs so wouldn't it make sense to start the EverLed out at nine volt?
A little off the subject but under the right circumstances this difference in amperage is over four times the amperage it takes to mess with the rhythm of the human heart.
Does this make me an efficiency freak? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're kind of falling into something I have been thinking about. Though the device itself may pull the least current at 9v (I don't know I haven't tested mine) the batteries will still be pulling that per cell. And batteries (well, regular non-rechargeables anyway) like to be drained at the lowest rate possible. So you MIGHT actually get more battery life by running 2 sets of 2AA in parallel than you would get running 4AA in series, even though it pulls less overall at 6v or higher.

Just more musings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: edited to fix the fact that I left out the word "parallel" leading the sentance to make little sence...