EZ123 problem

Kaamos

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have had a Nitecore EZ 123 for just a few days, and like it a lot. There is a slight problem, though. When going from "off" to "low", the light flashes momentarily on "high". This is more pronounced when the flashlight is cold. Also, when going down from "high" to "low", it presents a third mode in between, only momentarily but quite noticeably. It may take about a second to step down to low through this extra mode. Again, this seems to be somehow related to the temperature. Today it was quite cold, a few degrees below zero (C, meaning a bit below freezing).

Has anyone else seen this?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights present a preflash, I don't know if the EZ123 is known to do it, I never saw it on mine, I'm too lazy now to go to test it... :tired:

On the way back, there can't be a preflash however, you probably just make the light flash yourself by thread play. Indeed, the EZ is pretty hard to turn, you push the head down while turning and the light flashes.

Enjoy your EZ or buy a Quark MiNi, all Quarks are certified to preflash! :eek: ;)

bstrickler

Enlightened
Some lights present a preflash, I don't know if the EZ123 is known to do it, I never saw it on mine, I'm too lazy now to go to test it... :tired:

Enjoy your EZ or buy a Quark MiNi, all Quarks are certified to preflash! :eek: ;)

I was wondering if that was normal for my AA^2 Tactical, because it always does that. That's good to know :)

~Brian

Kaamos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Henk_lu, now I at least know it's not completely abnormal to have this flash. Sorry for not finding more about it by search, the term preflash just didn't occur to me somehow. I guess it's an electronic phenomenon, then, not mechanical except that my weird "postflash" when coming down from high probably is.

I just tried it, and even if I loosen the head very quickly so it ends up in the low area, I get about the same stepped degradation of light output - there is clearly a third power setting in between. Maybe this is related to the lubricant and foam pad getting harder in the cold and somehow keeping the head at the other end of the thread play and then being pushed away from the body by the spring force of the foam. Maybe there is a momentary bad contact with the spring and the center contact, just enough to give a partial high for a moment. When the light is in room temperature, both the preflash and this gradual high-low transition are much less pronounced.