NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 116

Thread: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

  1. #31
    Flashaholic* stallion2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Excellent points Paul - I've just updated the review with some comments around them. I agree completely - good o-rings and no lube on my sample either (but screw action was still quite smooth).
    thanks for the review. inspite of how well machined the threads are they still need a lot of grease to protect the o-rings. i just installed my two spares last night because a couple had been partially cut even though i greased them when i first got it...i went a little overboard this time.
    The lights we own end up owning us...
    Best brands: UltraFire, SacredFire, TrustFire, SpiderFire, StarFire, SuperFire, Yes-Pres-Obama-We-would-love-to-refinance-your-country-Fire & Surefire...in that order. But NOT UniqueFire. They can suck it!

  2. #32

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod911 View Post
    Yeah I sure am. I checked the dimensions on the M30 and they're quite comparable to the Catpult if you to give it a couple of millimetres here and there.

    Biodarren mentioned of finding a possible holster in his thread here, but I thought I'd give the TT a crack first.
    I think a fair bit of the Cat head will stick out. If you look at the pics in Self builts review. The smaller set of the cooling fins at the M30 head fit neatly into the holster, the larger set closer to the front do not. That will give you some idea. I think the shaft of the Cat should fit quite snugly but Im only guessing. The retaining flap may not fit over the Cat head. ALso the bottom of the holster is sewn together. I reckon if you cut off the retaining flap and slice the sewntogether bit it will work. If your not using the extension then I think it will be long enough as is. Let me know how you go!

  3. #33

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by stallion2 View Post
    thanks for the review. inspite of how well machined the threads are they still need a lot of grease to protect the o-rings. i just installed my two spares last night because a couple had been partially cut even though i greased them when i first got it...i went a little overboard this time.

    Stallion:

    Actually I put somuch grease on the O ring. but we make it more water proof. so when you screw more times. the Grease removed..

  4. #34

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!


  5. #35
    Super Moderator
    DM51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Borg cube #51
    Posts
    13,339

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Great review! I see Size15s has already moved it to the Reviews section for you.

    This light has already attracted a lot of interest in other threads, and now we can see why. That beam looks terrific, and it seems a good solid performer.
    Resistance is futile...

  6. #36

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Great review! I see Size15s has already moved it to the Reviews section for you.

    This light has already attracted a lot of interest in other threads, and now we can see why. That beam looks terrific, and it seems a good solid performer.

    Thanks for your support. we have a long way to go. make better products. and serve you. we always consider the feeling of users. and hope you can send us your commens and your suggestions.

  7. #37
    *Flashaholic* selfbuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashlites R Us View Post
    BUT I did hear a faint whinny "inductor" voice pleading
    " pleeeeeeeease do not overtighten my reflector housing or you will injure meeeeeeeeeeeee.............pleeeeeeeease do not overtighten my reflector hous.............................................. ...........................;-)))
    I am afraid I should have logged in and read about your little voice before I continued my testing ... it appears that I may have shorted out my Catapult's circuit by over-tightening the reflector housing.

    I was setting up to do the 1x18650 runtimes, when I noticed the beam pattern seemed a little unfocussed. Thinking the head was unscrewed, I started tightening it and the light suddenly cut-off. The light now runs in direct-drive only, with no regulation or control circuit.

    My best guess is that the aluminum reflector was able to short the contacts around the emitter, despite the plastic insulating disc. ThruNite was quick to respond, and a replacement is being sent out to me by courier. So I should be able to get those 1x18650 runs done for everyone in a couple of days. And bonus - I will be able to compare to see if there's any sign of inductor whine on the replacement (ThruNite thinks the first one may have been faulty, as they are not generally experiencing any whine issues).

    For now, I suggest that everyone be careful not to over-tighten the head!

    I'll keep you posted - thanks for the quick replacement ThruNite!

    Quote Originally Posted by stallion2 View Post
    thanks for the review. inspite of how well machined the threads are they still need a lot of grease to protect the o-rings. i just installed my two spares last night because a couple had been partially cut even though i greased them when i first got it...i went a little overboard this time.
    An interesting point - I noticed when I opened the head of my light that the o-ring here was broken (despite a lot grease being present). Of course, my over-tightening could have contributed. Thrunite also suggests that the o-rings may also be weakened by excessive heat, so it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on the one in the head.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 12-13-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  8. #38

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    I am afraid I should have logged in and read about your little voice before I continued my testing ... it appears that I may have shorted out my Catapult's circuit by over-tightening the reflector housing.

    I was setting up to do the 1x18650 runtimes, when I noticed the beam pattern seemed a little unfocussed. Thinking the head was unscrewed, I started tightening it and the light suddenly cut-off. The light now runs in direct-drive only, with no regulation or control circuit.

    My best guess is that the aluminum reflector was able to short the contacts around the emitter, despite the plastic insulating disc. ThruNite was quick to respond, and a replacement is being sent out to me by courier. So I should be able to get those 1x18650 runs done for everyone in a couple of days. And bonus - I will be able to compare to see if there's any sign of inductor whine on the replacement (ThruNite thinks the first one may have been faulty, as they are not generally experiencing any whine issues).

    For now, I suggest that everyone be careful not to over-tighten the head!

    I'll keep you posted - thanks for the quick replacement ThruNite!


    An interesting point - I noticed when I opened the head of my light that the o-ring here was broken (despite a lot grease being present). Of course, my over-tightening could have contributed. Thrunite also suggests that the o-rings may also be weakened by excessive heat, so it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on the one in the head.

    I Think if the light are damaged by ship you,during the long trip, the single light maybe drop easy. so the inductor damage. As you all know ,the inductor is magnetic core. So if the loud is very big. should the inductor damged. but I think very little loud is accept because of so high current. but this rate is very very low. If the inductor is damaged, that will cause what selfbuit said without regulated.

    not because the over tighten on the head.

    As O ring damged. because the light has been done test, so it will work more than 70minutes. so the temperature on electronic parts is very high. it will be more than 80 degree after 70 minuts working time. So the O ring damged.As you know ,We never continually on for more than 70 minuts. so this will not happen. O ring just for waterproof. no other application.


    I'll send you one replace ment, today!

  9. #39

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!


  10. #40
    Enlightened Olef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olef View Post

    One point - if you check the Cat's specs on ThruNite's site http://thrunite.com/productsweb/Catapult.html the sixth item down states - "〇 Memory mode for last output level used, with four-second separation time between clicks ". I know the Cat is a new light and that it has gone from a complex UI to a very simple one following feedback from CPF'ers - but unless I am misreading ThruNite's site there should still be a memory in there? Can anyone clarify?
    Thrunite, could you answer this from my earlier post please? Does the Cat have a memory at all?

    Thanks,

    Olef

  11. #41
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    302

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    I think a fair bit of the Cat head will stick out. If you look at the pics in Self builts review. The smaller set of the cooling fins at the M30 head fit neatly into the holster, the larger set closer to the front do not. That will give you some idea. I think the shaft of the Cat should fit quite snugly but Im only guessing. The retaining flap may not fit over the Cat head. ALso the bottom of the holster is sewn together. I reckon if you cut off the retaining flap and slice the sewntogether bit it will work. If your not using the extension then I think it will be long enough as is. Let me know how you go!
    Well it didn't go too well. The TT holster was just delivered (10 minutes ago), and lo and behold, the Catapult doesn't fit into the holster with or without the extension tube in place. The Catapult's finned head is too big to be pushed down into the rest of the holster's space (without the extension tube).

    No biggie. I might put it up for sale here for someone who has an M30. I have got to admit though, this TT holster (surprisingly, is a German based company despite the Tasmanian Tiger's origins), is very well built. The body fits snug to it, but the massive head of the Catapult, just won't allow me to close the damn thing.

    I'll give myself a week to think about possibly modding/ruining a perfectly good holster, or get a Ripoffs CO-166.

  12. #42
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    302

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olef View Post
    Thrunite, could you answer this from my earlier post please? Does the Cat have a memory at all?

    Thanks,

    Olef
    There's no memory mode at all. The light will always start on high, but once on, you can cycle down to the medium, low and strobe settings before going back on high again.

  13. #43

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Dear All:

    Do not worry. we have listed the holster to our plan, We'll release after Christmas
    Last edited by ThruNite; 12-14-2009 at 01:57 AM.

  14. #44

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olef View Post
    Thrunite, could you answer this from my earlier post please? Does the Cat have a memory at all?

    Thanks,

    Olef

    Dear Olef:

    We have upated to no memory. since we design it for a search and rescue light, it is preared for on!!!!!!

  15. #45
    Enlightened Olef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Thank you Rod911 and Thrunite

    How refreshing to be able to get a fast reply direct from a manufacturer. I haven't got the Cat yet and I am impressed!

    Regards,

    Olef

  16. #46

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Catapult is such an epic name. I think half the reason I want this light is to ogle the engraving "ThruNite Catapult." Im even saddened by the thought that the Catapult will eventually be overtaken by brighter LED lights with lesser names. I hope future ThruNite lights will also be Catapults

  17. #47
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    302

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Beamshots taken by the folks from www.selected-lights.de:














    Last edited by Rod911; 12-14-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Added pics of TK30 for comparison

  18. #48
    Flashaholic* berry580's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,138

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    by the looks of the photo, it seems like M1X has the greatest throw.
    Maglite 4D Incad., Solitaire, 3D LED Jetbeam Jet-I MKII R, Jet-III PRO Ti, Jet-Ti M, TC-R3 ,TC-10 Fenix LD01 SS Surefire C2 4Sevens Quark AA Ti, Quark Mini AA, Preon 0

  19. #49
    Unenlightened Direwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Great review from selfbuilt. I made the right choice in getting the Thrunite Catapult I have not encountered any inductor whine, but then again my hearing is'nt 100% and I have tinitus. Compairing the beamshots above, the Fenix TK40 was one light I might have gone for but I chose the Cat because it was new, looked good, new led type, and strong construction with some heft, and boy, it has some heft. Keep up the good work ThruNite, how about an Every Day Carry light a bit bigger than the Tikey!
    Last edited by Direwolf; 12-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.

  20. #50
    Flashaholic* hron61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    lakewood wa.
    Posts
    1,000

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    hi. i have a catapult on order from matt at batteryjuction and they are back ordered till 12/20. i was wondering what upgrades or options will be made to the shipment he is expecting on that date.
    i am eagerly awaiting my light. i also have the fenix tk 40 and will be taking both to play with at the waters edge in a couple of weeks. i will shine them both at the tacoma narrows bridge from below. should be fun and yes, i will be bringing my camera. quick ? what would be the best camera setting to use?
    thanks and it looks like a fine light. cant wait till she arrives home. ron
    Last edited by hron61; 12-14-2009 at 06:01 PM.

  21. #51

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
    Great review from selfbuilt. I made the right choice in getting the Thrunite Catapult I have not encountered any inductor whine, but then again my hearing is'nt 100% and I have tinitus. Compairing the beamshots above, the Fenix TK40 was one light I might have gone for but I chose the Cat because it was new, looked good, new led type, and strong construction with some heft, and boy, it has some heft. Keep up the good work ThruNite, how about an Every Day Carry light a bit bigger than the Tikey!

    Thanks Eirewolf. It's very difficulty in finding a new idea for a good light, I am looking for idea for a new EDC.Maybe Ti AA. but ou target is to make solid flashlights.

  22. #52

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by berry580 View Post
    by the looks of the photo, it seems like M1X has the greatest throw.

    Hi Berry580. Could you tell me where I can find the photo, I always can not find the photo,

  23. #53
    Flashaholic* csshih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,950

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    the Jetbeam M1X has the most noticeable donut I've ever seen in my life.

    ...just sayin.

  24. #54

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    the Jetbeam M1X has the most noticeable donut I've ever seen in my life.

    ...just sayin.
    M1X is also good products. donut is becaused by the MC-E LED, But I like M1X as well.

  25. #55

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    I almost bought an M1X, but this thread changed my mind. I'll be getting a Catapult for Christmas

  26. #56

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    hey everyone. this is my first post to CPF.

    i want to start by giving a huge thank you for the excellent review!

    i am extremely close to ordering a thrunite catapult. the only thing stopping me is the fact that i cannot find a light diffuser (for "white" light) to fit the head. the olight m30 has a diffuser/filter that is included. does thrunite offer anything similar? if not, are there any 3rd party diffusers/filters that will work with the 58mm head?

    if i can find a diffuser/filter that will work, i'll order one ASAP!

    thanks again!

  27. #57
    Flashaholic* berry580's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,138

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThruNite View Post
    Hi Berry580. Could you tell me where I can find the photo, I always can not find the photo,
    what do you mean?
    Its in post #47.
    Maglite 4D Incad., Solitaire, 3D LED Jetbeam Jet-I MKII R, Jet-III PRO Ti, Jet-Ti M, TC-R3 ,TC-10 Fenix LD01 SS Surefire C2 4Sevens Quark AA Ti, Quark Mini AA, Preon 0

  28. #58
    *Flashaholic* selfbuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by jon bohy View Post
    i am extremely close to ordering a thrunite catapult. the only thing stopping me is the fact that i cannot find a light diffuser (for "white" light) to fit the head. the olight m30 has a diffuser/filter that is included. does thrunite offer anything similar? if not, are there any 3rd party diffusers/filters that will work with the 58mm head?
    Good point - I would also recommend a diffuser as an included/optional accessory. I am not aware of any off-hand that would fit, but it would be great if there were one.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  29. #59

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by berry580 View Post
    what do you mean?
    Its in post #47.

    Hi berry, I can not find the beam photo. refresh some times. but failed. Could you post some link here. Thanks

  30. #60
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: ThruNite Catapult Review (SST-50): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

    That Jetbeam photo that ThruNite cannot seem to see:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •