Hello,I am new here! Question about SF 8X?

J

johnnywong

Anyone own this particular piece any more? How is it compare to the newer version SF? Thanx for any input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

arioch

Enlightened
Johnywong:

Welcome to CPF (cue B@rt's fun pic)!

As to your question, I own the original 8X, as well as the newer 8AX and 8NX ... my preference is the original.

I find the prefocused hotspot tighter w/ the 8X than with the AX or NX.

The body is slimmer, which is more comfortable in the hand for me; opinions may vary.

The newer models, the AX in particular, look more "tactical" than the 8X.

I have been able to find more/better holster options for the 8X than with the AX or NX.

FYI, the 8X models were selling on closeout at rock bottom prices last year from some company whose name escapes me at this time. You might be able to find a good price on Ebay or thereabouts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You might also want to ask Size15s ... he be da SF guy here if ever there was such a thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks arioch,

The 8X and 8AX use the same X80 Lamp - I guess the difference you are seeing could be due to the way the 8AX bezel positions the Lamp Assembly?

On the one hand, a new 8AX comes with a rapid charger (AC/DC supplies), two B90's, Hard Anodised with a Pyrex lens.

On the otherhand, the Classic 8X had a choice of about a million charging options (rapid/overnight/AC/DC/AC&DC), but it only came with one B90 (but that B90 will be a very solid performer)
The Classic 8X came with a Lexan lens that was/is prone to melting/deforming if the light is on for a length of time without free moving air to cool it, also Lexan is scratched and marked easily etc BUT a replacement lens kit is available.

I have an 8NX-BK that has served me very well.
If I was going to buy all over again, I'd be tempted by the 8X but I'd get the 8NX-YL (Yellow) so I could find it more easily.

Al

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Al-

I have an original 8X with the B90 that came with it, as well as a brand-spanking-new B90 I bought directly from SF later.

My B90s (and I can no longer tell which is which) don't hold a charge worth squat! A couple days off the charger, and I'm down to five minutes or so of good light, no matter which battery I'm using.

Again, this is with the original charger (not the quick-charger), and it seems to happen whether I'm using the AC or the DC adapter.

What in the world am I doing wrong?

(Back to the topic of the thread...) I love the light, though, and wouldn't trade it in on a new one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire had massive toubles with their B90 battery sticks.
I have been told that this is now fixed. Recardless, I think you need to talk to SureFire Customer Service with a view to getting a replacement B90.

SureFire (toll free) 800 828 8809

Please let us know how you get on.

Al

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 8NX is about two months old. It has the new "smart" charger and CM14 (date code) batteries. It has performed exemplary to date. None of the battery issues have reared their ugly heads yet. Rumor-speculation-alien conspiracies abound about whether it is the battery or the charger. It seems fixed, at least mine is. For added protection I charge with a fan blowing on the stick to keep it cool just in case.

I'd do as Al suggests and give SF a call.