Lens for Malkoff VME Head?

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what size lens will fit best inside the front of the VME head? Also, where is the best place to get the lens? Thanks in advance for any replies.

post tenebras

Enlightened
A mini-mag lens will fit. You can get one from flashlightlens.com or several other sellers.

Anyhing from 22.5 mm to 25.0 mm will work, as the VME bezel has such a wide border. I put a 25.0 mm sapphire watch crystal in my VME (see this post).

brunt_sp

Enlightened
My M60 seems to have a glass lens fitted. I know the M60s used to have a plastic one. If Gene if now fitting glass lenses to his modules then is there any need for an additional lens for the VME head ?

Max_Power

Enlightened
I just went to TAP plastics and bought a 1 inch disk for 40 cents. I used a dremel tool to bevel the edge of the plastic until it fit flush inside the reflector of my drop-in, but it's now quite robust.

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
hi post tenebras - i just bought a vme head and i live in the bay area, so i'll probably go and pick the lens up in person, as well. being a noob here, how did you install the lens into the vme head, is there a special way to do this?

thanks.

gnlw

Newly Enlightened
Just an update: I bought a mini-mag Borofloat lens from Lighthound. I also added an o-ring around the lens so the lens stays centered. The o-ring size is 1" O.D., 7/8" I.D., and 1/16" thick. After I screwed the front part of the head down, it compressed the o-ring perfectly, and the sealing ability appears to be good. I am also using the stock flat rubber washer between the lens and the M60. The front part of the head does not screw down all the way, but it is not that noticeable, and the sealing ability of the stock o-ring in the head still also appears to be good. I'm happy with the result, and I am confident that my M60 is now well protected. I hope the info is helpful to you.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the VME head waterproof, with this mode-made lense solution? How can you be sure the lense is completely sealed and is waterproof. I have doubts.

I want a 1x123 host, ideally E-body with C bezel but appears that a FiveMega 1x123 C/C host is more durable, even if a little bulkier.