First Class Mail International to Canada

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could some of my Canadian brothers please give me an estimate of how long an envelope (<1 oz.) takes to get from U.S. (Texas) to Canada (Victoria) via First Class Mail International?

Many thanks.

Andrew

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
A week should be about right, plus or minus a bit with the Xmas rush.
FROM Canada, we can do Express, this adds a bit to the cost, but cuts it down to around 4 days.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, gents, for your replies. I believe if it's just a letter (with a check enclosed as a gift to a relative), there is no customs form required?

Thanks again.

to_fire

Newly Enlightened
I've had a lot of stuff shipped up from the U.S., and standard first class package envelopes (with bubble wrap inside), can take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. I just had one delivered last Wednesday which was shipped out of the U.S. on Nov 21. If you're looking for delivery before Christmas, I'd suggest one of the private carriers.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be safe to expect it to take as many as 9 business days to cross the border and land in Victoria during the Xmas rush.
Your envelope will get routed to the enormous Gateway sorting plant east of Toronto and then be sent west out to the province of British Columbia.
I have a relative who works at the plant and he told me there was slightly more items heading to BC than usual at this time of year due to the upcoming Olympic Winter Games they are hosting.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for that. I'll try and get this out on Monday (12/14)---sounds like it will likely make it to Victoria before Jan. 1st (my "deadline").

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it's a letter, you won't need a customs form.

It may even arrive before Christmas since Canada Customs won't have to review it.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brad, thanks for that. Funny, but in my "pre-CPF" days, I would've just figured the postage, stuck on some stamps, and posted it. Now, I'm so accustomed to worrying about the darn customs forms for anything international, that I need some convincing when they're not needed. :thinking:

Cheers,

Andrew