Comparing Outputs

bagman

Enlightened
Is there a chart/table of equations around to convert candle power to lumens etc etc so I can compare different manufacturers light please??

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bagman,

Do a quick search for Candlepower vs. Lumens, I'm sure you'll find an answer to your question.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to elaborate a particle or two, my understanding is that candlepower is related to focused beams of light, whereas lumens are not limited to beamed light output--therefore, it is very difficult to convert between the two.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll save you some time: given a candlepower measurement and a lumens measurement and no other information (which is the way it always is), the two are not convertible from one to the other. Ya, bummer!

bagman

Enlightened
Thanks (for nothing it would seem)
grin.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome
smile.gif

And if I could be even more unhelpful: Since different manufacturers seem to measure candlepower and different distances, even comparing candlepower to candlepower is very often so misleading as to be nearly useless. And hey, a simple candlepower reading won't tell you what the beam is like: a beam highly-focused into a little laser-like point will be very bright, but may or may not be as useful for you as a beam that puts out more light overall, but is less focused and thus has a lower candlepower rating.