Emergency plugged in lights as Christmas gift

prof student

Enlightened
I need help looking for a set of lights that plug into your outlets and then will light up if you loose electricity.

My sis & bro in law just bought a new house kind of out in the country. They have lost power once in a storm and it was solid pitch black inside the house.

So, I was thinking as part of a Christmas gift, buy them a set of those lights. They don't necesarilly have to have a night-light function. Just as long as they light up when they loose power.

I don't know much about the kind of battery that is in them, are they all the same battery? Or some ni-cad, nimh, lithium, etc.... How long they last? etc.... So, any AND all input & recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

One thing, looking to buy in an actual store (just in case they really dont like them, i can return them easily).

Thanks.

balou

Enlightened
I don't know much about the kind of battery that is in them, are they all the same battery? Or some ni-cad, nimh, lithium, etc.... How long they last? etc.... So, any AND all input & recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there's any standard - well, except the standard of profit maximization.

According to this standard, you'd expect the manufacturers to put in AA or AAA NiCad or NiMH cells (NiMH only because NiCads are banned in Europe. NiCads are cheaper though, so regardless of their high toxicity they're still used)

3 NiCad AAA would most likely be more expensive (purchase price and weight, and therefore shipping costs), so let's assume 1xAA NiCad. They normally have 500-1000mAh capacity (a solar powered garden light my brother got has 800mAh NiMHs in it)

On to the LEDs - such a light would probably use China-made noname 5mm LEDs, 1 to 3 pieces. This would give several hours runtime, even with such a low capacity cell.

I don't know if this post was really useful ;)

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I have a handful of these: Amazon.com: Energizer RCL1NM2BP Compact Led Rechargeable Flashlight: Home Improvement. They can be used as a flashlight, nightlight, or emergency light. It lasts about 2 1/2 hours on high with a hour of dimishing light. The nightlight part is really too bright for use as a nightlight, but makes a very good low level and lasts over 22 hours at its max brightness with about 5 hours of diminishing output. I haven't had to use them during a power outage yet. The best price is at Walmart for $9. Home Depot, Target, Lowes also carry them.

prof student

Enlightened
I went to Walmart last night and only saw a GE rechargeable night light, #11096. They only had 1 type!

Off to Lowes & HD to see what they have.

Thanks.