Unbelievable physical side-effect of carrying an LX2

dwever

Newly Enlightened
After buying a Surefire LX2 and beginning to keep it clipped in my left pants pocket almost daily, I started getting mild involuntary muscle twitching in my leg exactly under where the light was. Almost like a mild vibration under the skin for about two seconds in duration, sometimes happening every four seconds or so.

Hypothesizing that the light was possibly responsible, I stopped carrying it, and for about three days the twitching continued, but diminished, and now it has stopped entirely.

Anyone ever heard of this?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very strange I have never heard of felt that problem I guess the pressure when you sit could be aggravating a nerve or muscle. If it doesn't go away you might have to consider holster carry or a smaller pocket light.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking it was more from the electro-magnetic field rather than pressure given how deep-down it was. Who knows.

Illum

Flashaholic
I call it the "fanny pack syndrome" where an area of your body is not used to the forces acting upon it, or its so snug in an area that there is insufficient ventilation for your sweat glands to breathe...involuntary twitching occurs, often accompanied [or me anyway] soreness and sweat over time. In the case with the fanny pack, the regions that are twitching has a synergistic effect when there's good looking girls around too:ohgeez:

However, only issues I've seen with the light clipped is directly on my belt and the belt locked in too tight, so no...I've never heard of this.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was a psychosomatic response to his subconscious desire to have the light in his hand and turned on, rather than clipped to his pants...

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't sweat it... this is a very simple thing to fix. It is all about equilibrium, you see, you need another 2-cell light in your other pocket.

You were suffering from an awesomeness imbalance... workit ouit by getting another LX2 and putting it in your other pocket.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh... I've experienced that twitching before and without a light too. It's like the muscle has a life of its own out of the blue, right? Sorry, I got no explanation for that too, maybe if there's a doc here, he/she could explain... :thinking:

looky

Newly Enlightened
A fasciculation (fah SIK yoo lay shun) (or "muscle twitch") is a small, local, involuntary muscle contraction (twitching) visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign, but can also be due to disease of the motor neurons.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A fasciculation (fah SIK yoo lay shun) (or "muscle twitch") is a small, local, involuntary muscle contraction (twitching) visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign, but can also be due to disease of the motor neurons.

I don't know. Sounds terminal to me, so no LX2 for me. :eek:

Bill

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed my leg twitches where the pocket I keep my cell phone in is when the phone rings, even if it's not in my pocket.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I've noticed my leg twitches where the pocket I keep my cell phone in is when the phone rings, even if it's not in my pocket.

I've noticed this too with previous phones, not since I upgraded to iPhone though. Either that or because I'm now using an iPhone to counterbalance the awesomeness of my EDC light in the other pocket....

Last edited:

LightCannon

Enlightened
I've noticed this too with previous phones, not since I upgraded to iPhone though. Either that or because I'm now using an iPhone to counterbalance the awesomeness of my EDC light in the other pocket....
I think it's a trap! Apple's going to take over to world!

...or at the very least, make you use the Flashlight app. *shudder*

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I think it's a trap! Apple's going to take over to world!

...or at the very least, make you use the Flashlight app. *shudder*

Funnily enough I downloaded the flashlight app....I've always liked to know I'm prepared for blackouts or emergencies in the dark before I got into CPF and found out now tiny lights could be nowadays!

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps your muscle is a bit nervous because it knows the potential hazards of carrying a multiple cr123 powered light.

Last edited:

Byydo

Newly Enlightened

Similar situation with me - I would think that my phone (which is almost always on silent because of my day job as a ninja) was vibrating, and I'd pull it out and realize that it was my leg muscle vibrating instead; sometimes it would happen and I'd realize I wasn't even carrying my phone at the time. I always carry my phone in my left pocket (EDC in right, don't want it to scratch the phone) so I assumed the cell phone transmitter had just slowly cooked the nerves in my leg.

I actually switched to an iphone too, and it still happens - OP's story about the LX2 makes me think it might just be a pressure thing.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
To be scientific you could carry it with dead batterys to see if its electromagnetic (which I really doubt) or carry it on the other side to see if it happens on the other leg.

Latest posts