Cat under hood

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
There are several kittens who love to get under the hood of my brother-in-law's car, which is generally parked on my front yard since we don't have a garage. It took us half an hour to get them out last time. I was wondering if there's any way to get them out (alive and kicking) more effectively or to prevent them from getting under the hood in the first place?

Any suggestion?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are spray scents that repel cats you can buy at a pet store. Try spraying this under the hood. Cats under the hood is a very dangerous thing. I've seen the horror of what happens to a cat when it's in the wrong spot under the hood and the car is started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Put a dog under there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you tried water? Either getting the engine and surrounding area wet when the car is parked or popping the hood and hosing the little guys down. They can get over an unfriendly wash but it would be a drag if they ended up going along for a ride! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

- Don

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't laugh too hard. I have had some experience with an electric razor. The high pitch noise hurts their ears. Turn it on and touch part of the non moving bits to the car body to transferr the whine to the metal. I got one out from under a corner table jammed between the wall and couch, the table not the cat.

B@rt

Flashaholic
How about something like Animal away ?

animalaway.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Animal Away™ uses high-pitched sound frequencies to deter unwanted wildlife from your yard, garden, garbage, and buildings. While the sounds are not audible to humans, animals find the signal uncomfortable and will leave your property in search of more peaceful surroundings.

[/ QUOTE ]

There must be something simular for cars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a good old fog horn? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
A few months ago my neighbor started up his big diesel Dodge Ram...fur and kitty parts went everywhere! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is how my mother-in-law got her last cat. She drove it home from somewhere under the hood! it was VERY lucky in where it got stuck (hence his new name "Lucky Stucky") that it was not killed or maimed by the engine (a few singed hairs from the exhaust system, but no bad burns to the cat himself)

She heard him crying from under the hood when she pulled into her garage. If I can remember correctly I think she actually had to have someone come out to take parts of the car apart to get him out.

It was this horribly thin and dirty little cat who has now more than doubled his weight and cleaned up turns out to be pure white. Very friendly guy now. Now their cats don't go under my hood, but when I'm parked there they just climb up on top for a good look around and I have cat prints all over my windshield!

Saaby

Flashaholic
<font color="green">GREEN</font> 1996 Volvo 850 GLT with...you guessed it, 5 Cyl. NO turbo. Not mine either, my sisters.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
1996 Volvo 850 GLT with...you guessed it, 5 Cyl. NO turbo. Not mine either, my sisters.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA! My dad has a <font color="red"> red </font> 1993 Volvo 850 GLT, 5 cylinders, and no turbo too. Cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
this reminds me that i should get a replacement fan shroud for the van.
over the winter my neighbors cat committed suicide in the fan.i guess the alarm disarm beep didnt wake it up.what a mess!