CNC machining a prototype

GWO

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF'ers,

I need a prototype light-head machined from aluminum. It is not a flashlight, but is still kind of small. It'll be a dual light similar to snake-eyes. I'm a software guy by trade and have no idea how to approach someone about doing this job. Even more so, I don't know what it would cost; hundreds, thousands? - I just don't know.

It appears that there are professional machinist involved in this forum, so I would appreciate any insight and advice on how to approach someone about this job. Any help?

By the way, this is a fun forum and I now have more than a practical number of LED flashlights, so I guess that makes me a collector. I'm especially excited about the Micro Illuminator (paypal sent) which I should receive in early July.

Thanks for any help on the machining,
Glenn (GWO)

OddOne

Enlightened
Uh oh, my Snake Eyes inspired someone...

I've got a whole product line worked out based on the concept (and a patent app in the works, BTW, just so you know) - complete with interchangeable battery cases and even alternate power sources - but thus far no takers on small-scale production. (Anybody brave enough to take this kind of thing on?)

Getting something made as a proto ain't cheap - expect to work a trade deal where you're putting the optical/electronic portion in and giving the machinist a couple working units in exchange for the parts for your own working units.

oO

GWO

Newly Enlightened
No worries OddOne, the only similarity between what I have and snake eyes is the use of two lights. I mentioned snake eyes so readers would know that I'm *not* building a cylinder based light. I posted back in April that I was building some daytime running lights for enduro racing. Well, I built a first prototype that has been well received by racing buddies. I've had numerous requests to build more and I have an improved design where the head assembly is machined. So I thought I would explore this further.

So... you say "getting something made as a proto ain't cheap". What was the process you went through? Did you just look up local machine shops in the yellow pages and meet with them and ask for bids? Is there any other info you can share about the prototyping process with third parties?

Anyone else? Anyone want to take this job over long distance?

Regarding Snake Eyes: I can't wait until you have production units (paypal sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Thanks,
Glenn (GWO)

P.S. I searched for where we both first mention our projects, and amazingly we posted on the same day. I posted just a few hours before you did.

OddOne

Enlightened
If you have to PAY for a proto to be made, it'll likely start at about $300 and go (way) up from there. How much exactly there's no one answer for, as each design will ave its own set of cost factors and no two machinists may charge the same for one set of plans.

The CPF crowd is chock full of folks with amazing skills that are occasionally willing to exchange services with each other, though, so that's worth investigating if you have a sound enough design that someone is willing to pick it up and give it a try.

As for my stuff, I'm still working on getting preproduction units built, so it'll be a while before I can reply to a "PayPal sent" with an "order shipped."

Personally, I'd love to hook up with one of the machinists that hang out here and form a company to make some lights...

oO

Nutabegga

Newly Enlightened
Hi Glenn,

I'm a newbie here, but I've been lurking around for the longest time! I'd like to offer my assistance. Please email me privately. I'm not a machinist, but I have access to a manual lathe and milling machine. Perhaps, I can help if it's not too complicated.

And OddOne, I like your website. Very informative and creative writing.

marklein

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in this process too. I'm thinking about a larger batch of lights (say 200) and I'm assuming that the prices for a shop to do such a thing would drop drastically?

I'm also a computer nerd by trade so all of this is forign to me. Any bones you folks can throw would help.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nutabegga

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I could help out with 200 lights, that's a little beyond me right now, otherwise I'd love to help out.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a CNC Machinest with CNC Mills and CNC Lathes. I have my own projects going on with flashlights. I am sure I can give you a fair quote on your projects.

Chris

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel free to also email me GWO. Just did a run recently and they seem to be good value (in terms of quality, advice and $$$)