Anyone else color blind and loving the bright cool tint LED's?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have been partially color blind all my life and can't tell similar tints apart. For example, all the fancy runtime charts on here with lime-green, pale-green, lemon-lime-green, etc. look to be made up of about 2 to 3 colors to me. I have thought this to be a disadvantage until lately with everybody complaining about the tint on LED's. I think I've seen blue maybe once in an LED light and it never bothered me. I say squeeze every last lumen out of the LED and leave color rendition for the suckers.

I want lumens! An intruder is an intruder whether he is white, purple, lavender, yellow, or black :)sssh:). Even if I could see colors well, I use my lights to see stuff in the dark, not to match paint swabs or identify different breeds of lady bugs.

So, in closing let me say that finally: I win!

bansuri

Enlightened
Lucky.
The blue tint in many LEDs stands out like a sore thumb to me. It may be because I have a red/green deficiency so maybe that makes the blue more pronounced. I have a friend who is an optometrist, I'll check with him regarding my theory.
I am LOVING the neutral and warm tints!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Finally, a disabled person who sees his disability as an advantage! Go you! My brother is an artist and an engineer and he's been red/green color blind since birth. I've always been pretty good with colors and my favorite painting of his is one with red and green tones that are dominant. Go figure.

And yes, flashlights ARE for seeing things in the dark, but for those of us who use them for pleasurable walks at night, color rendition is more of a consideration. That being said, my third favorite flashlight is a Nitecore D10 that has the most disgusting tint I've ever seen in a light (squid green), but it's form factor and UI just win me over in spite of that. Just so you know where I stand as far as tint goes. Would I take it outside on one of those pleasurable walks? HECK no. For that, I take my DBS MC-E, my Fenix TK20, and either my DEFT (hehe, yeah) or my other Dereelight DBS with an Aspheric or Smooth reflector (I have one of each ready to go). Sometimes I substitute the TK20 for my Neutral (really more warm) tint Quarks, but I just love how that Fenix fits in my hand (though there is a noticeable whine).

ptolemy

Enlightened
I also colorblind on some green/brown tones...and I never trully cared about color of the light. I generally care very much if my beel has donut holes or uneven or rings as I really prefer clean one;)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... can you see the difference in CRI between an incan and a warm tint LED?
Isn't it like ~1/30 American born males color blind? Chances are theres quite a few of us.

I definitely prefer warm neutral (slightly warm) tint emitters, but I can get used to anything once my eyes have had a chance to adjust. The exception would be nichia-GS blue-purple tints:green:.

bansuri

Enlightened
Kramer,
A lot of males have the red/green deficiency, and for me it manifests itself in fine resolution situations. I have tested "big picture" color perception against people with no known deficiency and it seems we see things the same, it's just when a bunch of colors are displayed in close proximity to each other and at a good distance from me that I have trouble. Imagine an old school communications cable filled with 20 twisted pairs held at arm's length, I just can't tell 'em apart. So I'm wondering if my lack of cones for red and green make the blue tint of many emitters more pronounced for me.
It's probably been discussed here before, I'm off to google CPF!

Caroso

Newly Enlightened
I am color blind. When I got my first warm white tinted light I started to sell my cool white lights. Cool white is OK for indoor use. Outside I prefer warmer tints.
I think the warmer tints gives much better contrast and everything looks gray when using a cool white flashlight.

I agree with you on the runtime charts

:duh2:
2AA-HiAlka.gif

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
That point about the runtime charts is so valid.

I personally don't suffer from any form of colour blindness, but I can imagine how hard it would be if not impossible to read those charts!

That is quite a funny (not laughable funny, more curious) thing to think about...

There is no real way around it either, as different shapes on the lines would get cluttered very quickly.

On topic, although as I have already stated, that I don't suffer from any form of colour blindness, I don't really mind what tint a light is. To me, a nice tint is more of a luxury than a necessity :thumbsup:

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
I'm not color blind, but i don't really care about the tint, as long as its not disturbingly blue or something. Cheap incans left a bad taste in my eyes for particularly warm tints emitters in flashlights.:oops:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I'm not color blind either and can read the charts perfectly. There are degrees of red/green colorblindness, so some people can still see some gradations of difference. I can only imagine what it would be like to only be able to see the graph colors as shades of gray, such as on a black, white, gray printout of such graphs.

However, having said that, I purchased a warm-neutral Nitecore EZ 123. I do like the rendition some times, but notice the loss of lumens even more. For example, the WN EZ 123 has a rating of 140 lumens, white the cooler version is rated at 180 lumens, a noticeable difference to me. For the most part I prefer more light rather than subtle color renditions. Perhaps if I walked in the forest more with my lights, I would change my mind, but compared to the ugly yellows of the old incandescent flashlights, the cool whites are great.

iapyx

Enlightened
Kramer,
A lot of males have the red/green deficiency, and for me it manifests itself in fine resolution situations. I have tested "big picture" color perception against people with no known deficiency and it seems we see things the same, it's just when a bunch of colors are displayed in close proximity to each other and at a good distance from me that I have trouble. Imagine an old school communications cable filled with 20 twisted pairs held at arm's length, I just can't tell 'em apart. So I'm wondering if my lack of cones for red and green make the blue tint of many emitters more pronounced for me.
It's probably been discussed here before, I'm off to google CPF!

+1
When I tell people I'm colourblind, they always start asking 'what colour is this, what colour is that'. I tell them what colour I see and then they say 'oh, you're not colourblind'.

For me it's difficult to tell what colour a star at night has. It's too small for my eyes to distinguish. I need more pixels to tell what colour I see.

In another thread I have posted about colourblind people being able to adapt quicker to darkness than people who are not colourblind. It all comes down to the cones and rods.

If you're interested I will look up that thread.

iapyx.

bstrickler

Enlightened
+1
When I tell people I'm colourblind, they always start asking 'what colour is this, what colour is that'. I tell them what colour I see and then they say 'oh, you're not colourblind'.

They're right. That means you're color-deficient.

In another thread I have posted about colourblind people being able to adapt quicker to darkness than people who are not colourblind. It all comes down to the cones and rods.

If you're interested I will look up that thread.

iapyx.

I'm color deficient, and can attest to that. I'm mostly dark-adapted within 5-10 minutes, fully within 20, while the general population takes 20-45 minutes to adapt.

Color blind/deficient people used to be used by military to spot camouflaged German camps, because we can spot camouflage easier/quicker than people without it. I do this all the time. I live in the desert, and quickly spot gecko's, salamanders, snakes, etc, and people I point them out to, still have a hard time seeing it until it moves.

8% of males are colorblind or color deficient. That's just under 1 in 10.

Colorblind/color deficient people also have a tendency to have excellent vision. I used to have 20/10 vision, but unfortunately, with my health is deteriorating, combined with stress from other things, I'm down to 20/15 now, and my eyes are extremely sensitive to sunlight. I have to wear sunglasses on cloudy days, even, because the light is still almost blinding.

Anyways... Back to the topic at hand:

I'm red-green color deficient, and don't see a huge difference in coloration when using a neutral vs cool white LED. The cool white LED's shows more contrast for me than a neutral white LED.

~Brian

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'm not colour blind but I like the cool white tints best of all. I have a "neutral" white (seems more like yellow to me) Tk20 for outdoor use and I most definately do not like the tint of it, don't like the way it makes the colour of things look at night and I don't feel that it allows me to see objects as clearly at night than my other torches which are cool white.

Give me cool white every time.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm have a red/green deficiency also. My state had a color blind test to renew a drivers license. I struggled thru those, thankfully they did away with that part of the test.

Here's a test for those who have never took it.

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp

edit; Forgot to answer the question. I do like the cool tints and the brightness better. A lot of difference between Q3 and R5. Q3-4-5,R2-3-4-5.

Last edited:

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
Im not colorblind, but I can tell you that I can see wayyyy more with my Incans when I compare my Incan lights to my LED lights... Like ridiculously more. Is this due to better color rendition and higher CRI?

... btw, I was comparing my MAG623 (incan) to my LOD-CE... maybe that has something to do with it :devil:

goldenlight

Enlightened
I just LOVE the LED lights with the 'cool' white tint!

I'm near the top of the chart (bad) in 2 of the 3 areas of color blindness, but I have seen plenty of greenish LED's over the years.

I figure they must be pretty bad, if they look green to me.

Usually, a greenish light won't look green to me unless I compare it to another light at the same time. I have a couple of lights with a slightly 'sea green' tint, that I can't see unless it's next to a light with a bluish tint.

I recently got a NiteCore SmartPD EX10 R2 Edition with the best tint, IMHO, that I've ever had. It was a 'cool' white tint that I tought was absolutely the best I'd ever seen.

I'm sure it looked different to me, than to someone with 'normal' color vision, but I just loved that tint on that light.

Sadly, just a few days after getting it, the switch failed, and I had to send it back for repair.

It won't be back before Christmas, and given my luck, the one they replace it with will have the worst tint on the planet. :mad:

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Curious... can you see the difference in CRI between an incan and a warm tint LED?

Nope, they both look the same pee yellow to me. I actually have a hard time using a standard P60 Surefire bulb because it is too yellow for me and things of similar color tend to blend together (rocks and plants on a hiking trail).