Beamshot request: Stinger LED HP DS vs. Pelican 7060

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
I've narrowed my chooses down to these two. I just want to find out which is the better overall light.

Opinions anyone? Beamshots?

Thanks

bkumanski

Enlightened
I've narrowed my chooses down to these two. I just want to find out which is the better overall light.

Opinions anyone? Beamshots?

Thanks

Better is always a relative term and everyone around here has different opinions. The two are very different, but have some similarities which is why you picked these two. Both are cradle rechargeable. The Pelican has a LiIon cell and the Streamlight has NiCad (but is upgradeable). Both have similar runtimes. Now, they are very different in construction as the Pelican is only poly and the HP is only aluminum. The Pelican has a smaller reflector and is a little floodier. The HP has a large head and out-throws the Pelican handily. Neither is focusable. A better beam comparison is the Polystinger to the Pelican, not the HP. The Poly is similar to the Pelican. I'm not too sure how Pelican is for warranty work, but the Streamlight has a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps

FlashlightKid

Newly Enlightened
I own a pelican 7060 Led and my friend has the old stinger Led (I know that the new one is alot brighter). In my opinion and the reason I decided on the 7060 over the Stinger DS was because of the Li-ion battery and the poly body.
I can oly tell you my experience with the Pelican:
The Pelican has a near even output over its 1.5 hour runtime, im not sure on the stiner HP DS. Charging is also nice as I am kind of OCD about determining when to charge lights (I know that NICad memory is a myth), but I can without fear charge my pelican whenever I want to top it off.
The poly body is also great as it is not too cold to grab at night, cleans easily and does not scratch other things that easily (I bought mine to work around the house and car so i needed a light that would not damage what I am working on accidentaly).
beam is also nice as it has a tight hotspot for long distances and a nice surround beam for close up illumination. Note that the beam is not a smooth transition from hotspot to surround, thus you get a long throwing hotspot and a dimmer side spill. I kind of like this for outdoor walks or checking bumps in the night, but it was unsutable for close up work.

The downsides are that it is only one output level, the warning for low battery comes on too late (only ~1min to dieing), plastic lens, the heat sink may be type 2 anodising as mine kind of scratched in some places, and changing the battery is hard (maybe its just mine but I really need to shake the light to get the battery out).

In conclusion if you need a bright long spotting light (if you work security), dont mind that it dosen't feel like a shelf queen (quality wise), and don't need over 1.5 hours runtime, I recommend this light.

Sorry for the long post, and if there is any mistakes I'll make sure to change it.

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for your replies.

I've decided on getting the Pelican 7060 and 8060.

Tempsho

Newly Enlightened
Pelican lights are extremely durable, and they have a no questions asked warranty. If any part of the light fails or breaks, they will replace it.

+1 for the Pelican 7060 and 8060

bkumanski

Enlightened
Pelican lights are extremely durable, and they have a no questions asked warranty. If any part of the light fails or breaks, they will replace it.

Nice to know. They make nice lights too, but I was always wary because I have dozens of places to get my Streamlight serviced, but only 2 authorized Pelican dealers. With the same warranty, I guess it really is a toss up.

Oh, one more thought for the OP. I'm not sure what environment you are using the light in, but remember only poly bodies are approved for hazardous environments (kinda guessed you are in public safety). I have not seen any of the aluminum Streamlights used by fire, HazMat, or similar. Not sure if the Pelican complies with the various certifications but I know both Pelican and Streamlight do make lights which do.