Better regulation...Dereelight 3SM or 3SD??

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Do you get better regulation with the 3SD which uses a 18650 cell only as opposed to the 3SM which can use 18650 & R123 both?

bkumanski

Enlightened
Do you get better regulation with the 3SD which uses a 18650 cell only as opposed to the 3SM which can use 18650 & R123 both?

Well both sort of. The 3SD for the 18650 is better regulated on the single 18650. The 3SM is better overall, but on higher voltage (2 123s, 2 18650s, 2 18500s, or 2 rcr123s). It can't run one 18650. They have another which will run 1 18650 in direct drive and is regulated with multi cells, its the 1sm-2 I think.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried an 18650 (3,9 Volt currently) in my CL1H V4 with the 3SM pill and it wokrs. Dereeliht says 3,4 - 9,0 Volt Input.

The reason I tried was to find out if it was dimmer than on 2 x CR123A, can't say. I wonder too if I can seriously use the 18650 with the 3SM pills and I guessed it wouldn't run regulated.

I just started with 18650 and took the 3SM driver because I used CR123A only before and I don't want to change the pills now... :thinking:

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Thanks for the response bkumanski. Flashcrazy got back to me and stated that regulation is only good in the SM with 2 cells. He said 1 18650 would work, at a lower output, but not well & there would probably be some flickering..He had found a 3SD R2 WD so I swapped my order from a 3SM which needs an extender to us 18650 cells.I can not wait to get it.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Jay seems to be the best person to get info on Dereelight pills. He knows them inside and out. He actually convinced me to get the 1SM-2 neutral pill for my CL1H. I am having trouble deciding if I like this or my new Thrunight R5 pill with the Dereelight SMO reflector better :naughty:. He sells both I believe. The Thrunight fits right in the CL1H reflectors so it can be used without a spring and is regulated for both 1 18650 and 2 123s.

kg08

Newly Enlightened
why did you not buy your r5 from dereelight they have them now

ZRXBILL

Enlightened

Well if I'm not mistaken Dereelight is not in the U.S., so even if they had DBS V3 lights in stock, which according to their site they do not, shipping would take longer plus Jay over at Flashlight Connection gives us a discount.:twothumbs

bkumanski

Enlightened
Didn't even know, they must have just come out. Any word on how they compare? I put the Thrunight into a SMO reflector to give a little extra reach, but with the R5 it still floods nicely and the Dereelight reflector is pretty good and I have minimal rings.

EDIT: I just checked their site and they appear to be out of a lot of pills and don't have the R5s listed at all? Some inside info perhaps regarding replacement LEDs :popcorn:?

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did you find that?

Two weeks ago, I wrote Alain a mail to ask about XPG-R5, but I didn't get a reply...

Once they offer them, I'll immediately buy a 3SD-R5, I have a spare empty head laying around, as I installed the aspherical head. :thumbsup:

druidmars

Enlightened
Where did you find that?

Two weeks ago, I wrote Alain a mail to ask about XPG-R5, but I didn't get a reply...

Once they offer them, I'll immediately buy a 3SD-R5, I have a spare empty head laying around, as I installed the aspherical head. :thumbsup:

Off-topic, my apologies but I was wondering, since you have the aspherical head would you be able to tell me how the MC-E with the aspherical head would compare with R2/R5 in what throw is concerned?
I can't seem to decide which one to get. Thank you.