GD1000 not working --- HELP

Hill

Enlightened
Recieved a new GD1000 buck/boost converter from the Shop and wired it according to Waynes diagram here.

J5 to LED+
J6 to LED- and V-
backside V+

Wired an SSC P4 USVOH running off 2 x NimH Duraloops and got nothing! Check the voltage and it was only 0.12V. Batteries and P4 emitter were tested before and are fine.

Solder joints appear fine and was careful not to overhead the board. I am using very thin (24) gauage wire since the converter holes are so small, but don't think that should be an issue.

Emailed Wayne and am awaiting his reply, but it's Sunday night and I'd like to have and answer soon!

Greg G

Enlightened
Will a GD1000 even drive at that level from only 2 AA's?

You might be asking too much of this driver.

Hill

Enlightened
yes it should and has been done successfully here by other members.

I also tried a 14500 and got nothing when wired through the converter. Without the converter it runs fine by direct drive, so something is up with this board I think.

supasizefries

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as you. I tried a GD1000 for one of my builds and didn't get it to work. :(

Hill

Enlightened
That's good to know. At least it's not me.

I'll wait to see what Wayne says. Did you email him about your problem? Could be a bad batch of converters?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Check the voltage and it was only 0.12V. Batteries and P4 emitter were tested before and are fine.

I am using very thin (24) gauage wire since the converter holes are so small, but don't think that should be an issue.

How exactly did you check the the voltage? If you powered up the board without load (meaning no LED connected to it) you most likely fried the main IC.

24 guage is not thin at all. I use 26 awg for these board which is more than sufficient.

Of all thoe boards I've used from Wayne, it's been very rare that I've had one DOA but that's not so say it isn't possible.

Hill

Enlightened
I powered it up at first without load connected, but my DMM was set to voltage which I thought means no current is passing so it should not kill the board, right? If not, then I guess I killed it.

I tested my MM+ board the same way - just checking voltage without load connected to see how much boost voltage I was getting. No problem there.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing without a load can kill some boards including, so it seems, the GD. The problem with some constant current drivers, if I understand them correctly, is that because they measure the current (through one method or another), an open circuit can cause the following:

* IC checks current
* Current = 0
* IC increases voltage to increase current
* Current still = 0
* IC increases voltage further
* Repeat until :poof:

That said, I'm not sure if that's entirely correct, anyone who knows more, please chip in.

rolling

Enlightened
I powered it up at first without load connected, but my DMM was set to voltage which I thought means no current is passing so it should not kill the board, right? If not, then I guess I killed it.

I tested my MM+ board the same way - just checking voltage without load connected to see how much boost voltage I was getting. No problem there.

The GD-Driver has no Open-Load protection. :poof:

Hill

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I guess it's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know that I screwed up. Add another driver to the graveyard.

Guess I will be ordering another one from the Shop....

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
* Minimum Vin: 1.8V
* Maximum Vin: 5.4V​
* Maximum Vout: 5.4V
* Output Regulation: Full Constant current regulation.
* Open Load Protection: No
* Output adjustable: Set by two SMT (0603) resistors.
* Output Current formula: 0.05 / Rsense = Iout
* Efficiency: 85%~93%
* Maximum Output: >1A
* Tallest Component: 3mm
* Compatibility: ECan, Aleph Light Engine, Sandwich
* Diameter: 0.55 inch
* Technology: SMT Components top side only, Battery anode pad backside​
Has Sandwich compatible holes.

Hill

Enlightened
* Minimum Vin: 1.8V
* Maximum Vin: 5.4V​
* Maximum Vout: 5.4V
* Output Regulation: Full Constant current regulation.
* Open Load Protection: No
* Output adjustable: Set by two SMT (0603) resistors.
* Output Current formula: 0.05 / Rsense = Iout
* Efficiency: 85%~93%
* Maximum Output: >1A
* Tallest Component: 3mm
* Compatibility: ECan, Aleph Light Engine, Sandwich
* Diameter: 0.55 inch
* Technology: SMT Components top side only, Battery anode pad backside​
Has Sandwich compatible holes.

thanks Mac. Learning the hard way.

One more converter joins the graveyard...

On the bright side, this last round of posts has graduated me to an official flashaholic - wohooo!!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should still have gotten some smoke/smell,
and/or
see some melted part at the IC

Hill

Enlightened
no smoke or fire, not even a hint of burning smell. I've experienced that with other boards which would have been an immediate indication of my error.

Only solution is to order another and do it the RIGHT way.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that resurrecting it would involve replacing the IC, not a trivial task for most people. That is, if it's the chip that's fried. We've got a hot air gun and an SMD oven at work, and that's the only way I can see myself doing it.

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened
I've fried a few boards myself. Check my sigline. :thinking:

Only been doing mods for <1 year and I've already got a nice pile of dead converters too, including one maxflex and a Der Witchel buck board, along with a few Crees and P7's (Ouch!). It really sucks when I think of what I could have bought with all that wasted $$$

Components are costly enough without the added :stupid: