Determining Generator damage

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
Hi, everyone.

I've spent the last 3 weeks doing tons of research on portable generators, and found many helpful posts at CPF, so I'd like to ask for help with a question that may help others in the future, too.

I have a Yamaha EF2000is portable inverter generator, wired into a Gentran 15116v transfer switch. It's listed to provide 16.7 surge amps, or 13+ amps steady-state at 125v. I've test-powered my sump pump, which draws 670w per my Kill a Watt, and the plate says it draws 9 amps. I have test-powered my "5 HP" air compressor, which causes the genny to shut off after 10 seconds. (This does not surprise me!) The compressor seemed to spin at it's normal RPM...

My question is how to determine if I am damaging the genny, or the sump pump or furnace motors in normal, er-emergency use?

I don't know if it's possible to over-current the genny, without it saving itself...? Also, I'm guessing that if the motors need more current, the voltage would drop (maybe triggering the genny self-protection as per the AC?)

Has anyone found a way to check for this, or is it even a problem?

Thanks for all your help.