Do HID's with variable power exist?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Sorry - dummy question here but I'm looking for a 1 flashlight does all in hopefully no bigger than a 3 d cell mag light.

I was hoping for at least 900 lumens with good throw (400 meters) but at the same time for an outputs in the neighborhood of 3, 20 & 100 lumens as well. Does anything like that exist?
I know LED's are now putting out close to 900 OTF lumens but none of them have the throw a HID has do they?

Thanks

Rick

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Variable power output DOES exist for HID's, but you can not dim HID bulbs down nearly as much as you can an LED or incandescent bulb.

You are correct that in general, HID's throw better than LED's.

As far as variable output goes the most you'll get usually is a 35W high and a 25/28W medium. Some higher end lights have something like a 75W high and a 50W medium.

If your looking for something that throws far and thats dimmable and thats about 900 lumens you might take a look at putting an SST-50/90 behind an aspherical lens.

Parker VH

Enlightened
You may want to check out the DEFT LED as it is a throw monster for an LED. Just do a search in the LED forum under DEFT. It is not adjustable for output but it is VERY impressive.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nothing like you describe exists ricky but dual stage HID's exist. Their range between high and low is usually not a big gap. Think 3200 lumens to 5000 lumens. All HID lights are typically 500 lumens or more. You'll want to use LED lights or incan lights for outputs less than 500 lumens.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually variable power does exist..... I have the Mule which flips from 35Watts to 80Watts to the bulb and its now being manufactured with a ballast that offers infinitepower adjust between 35W and 80W.

4 0f 6 packages arrived. DHL in my area turns over their packages to the USPS (which I didn't know so rest should be here Monday or Tuesday.

The black (heavy finned) ballast looks real good. Very heavy deep fins on the ballast for much greater air cooling potential. The ballast I have has a reastat installed for infinite power adjustment from 35 watts to approx 80 watts to bulb, just dial in the power you want... I believe the (nice) rheostat dial can be replaced with regular switch control for dual output...
The mule out-throws the Barnburner and has 4 hours runtime at 35 watts and 2 - 2.5 hours at 80W.