I have a CMG Sonic

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I just got back from EMS and found that they had the CMG Sonic so I purchased one.
It is the same brightness as the ARC AAA to my eye .
Color of the led is the same as my ARC AAA with a bluish center,however the corona is smaller as there is no reflector
The construction seems a little rushed with a few sharp edges here and there-nothing that I can't fix with a bit of emery cloth.
The switching mechanism is a twist on/off and very smooth with no binding.
The led sits just a tiny bit beyond the end of the light and could get damaged but this could just be a manufacturing error.
So there is a mini review of it -I will post anything else noteworthy that I find.
I have only had this light for a little bit of time but I don't see it replacing my ARC AAA anytime soon.Time may tell on this one as the switching is much smoother than the ARC and some people may prefer that . The ARC seems more "tool-like" to me , as far as ruggedness goes.
They also specify 10 hours of peak brightness /40 hours useable-I'll do some runtime tests this week if I get the time.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
EMS = Eastern Mountain Sports
The one by me has them in stock as well, but just after my L4 purchase I'm afraid I'm "broke" at the moment. It was pure torture for me to walk past the display and keep moving. I haven't seen it lit, but the looks are pretty cool.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hmm, not quite as nice as i was hoping, but i certainly wasn't expecting arc quality.

mind mentioning price?

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
The EMS store by me wants 19.95 USD. I think online dealers will probably have a better deal on these as EMS isn't known for their "discount prices". But they usually get the goods ahead of schedule as I got my reactor from them way before they were available on the 'net.

Ed.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The run time holds the key...maybe? Bright for longer? My wife always say`s...well never mind...we`ll just have to wait and see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Led-Ed

Enlightened
My digital camera does not work with Win XP and my win98 part. is hosed so sorry no pics from me.
I suppose I just teased y'all

wualta

Newly Enlightened
Pshaw-- WinXP works with *everything* [big crazy smiley with googly eyes]! Do you mean to say that you lash it up with the USB cable, turn on the camera, and WinXP just sits there? No "new hardware" balloon in the lower right corner?

But aha, if you DO get the "new hardware" balloon but WinXP just sits there, or if it asks you to insert a CD-ROM full of camera software, the trick is to turn the camera off, chuckle evilly to yourself, and then, sneaky-like, turn it on again. Works for Sonys, Arguses, Panasonics, Canons.

Walt Brand

obeck

Newly Enlightened
wualta is right in that most cameras can appear as a removeable drive in Win XP if simply plugged into USB/Firewire port.

I have an HP photosmart and a Nikon Coolpix, and both work that way. Personally, I picked up a couple USB card readers for free after rebate, and dont usually plug the camera in to upload the pictures.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
According to Intel(who makes the camera) I have to buy a cd from them for $6.00.
The software that came with the camera does not work with xp.
I may be acting stubborn, but why should I have to pay for a software cd when all I did was install a new OS?
It worked fine on the old OS--what a ripoff!!
I already bought the camera,why should I have to pay for support ?

Led-Ed

Enlightened
Well,I have the winxp drivers but for some reason the pc won't reconize the camera now and I just dont feel like dealig with it.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
Ok the camera is working with xp -now I just have to figure how to put the pics here.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one today, sorry, no pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It's a little goofy looking, kind of like something that a doctor would shove in your ear or nose or a cieling fan pull. Cone shaped tip leading to the LED recess, the LED is implanted in the barrel of the body and there is a tail cap that is larger in diameter than the body with a cove shape turned at the end that forms a nipple like protrusion that has a lanyard hole through it. It is about a 3/16" longer than the Arc and the tailcap is larger than the Arc in diameter. It has knurling around the tailcap and the barrel right before the conical shaping starts to form the tip, which is not as agressive as the Arc and doesn't offer a great deal of grip.

The Sonic has a hot spot that is similar to an Arc AAA and as bright, but lacks the halo of wash light of the AAA. I think you are supposed to palm the tailcap and turn the barrel with thumb and fore finger to operate, a little awkward but would work better on a keychain, which I don't use on my lights. I don't think I would trust it to not unscrew under the weight of both barrel and battery, while swinging around my neck or off of a keychain and get lost, it is a little loose and I think the head of the Arc is better secured and less likely to unscrew.

Overall I don't think it will wear as nicely as a Arc and lacks the refinement, finish, simplicity of design and dual purpose beam of the Arc. My example has a bluish tint to it and I am only used to the greenish beam of the Arc LE's ( have two) and Turquoise so I will let someone else with a SE compare the color/tint. The cone shape of the tip may assist in aiming the light into tight spaces but other than that I don't see much purpose for it as it may make the edge around the LED fragile. It is cute and definitely does work as a decent LED light but I think the Arc is still a more refined more practical light with a new price advantage over the CMG Sonic. SE's on sale for $14 and this cost $20 at EMS ( I am sure that the Sonic will retail for less elsewhere but I would rather have my trusty Arc. I will play with this a little more and maybe give it to a friend or my wife, I had to get one though!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DLG

Newly Enlightened
Kevin, (Batterystation)

Can you post a note here when the production Sonic's become available.

Thanks,

Dave...