P3D Q5 In-Room Beamshots on Medium Anywhere?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I've been trying to find some beamshots for an older Fenix light which has caught my eye but I've been unable to do so.

I've tried searching the forums but that's only yielded turbo beamshots.

If anyone knows anywhere that room (rather than wall) beamshots of the Fenix P3D Q5 can be found on the medium setting I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
All the Fenix Cree L- and P-series lights from that era had the same reflector (available in ringy smooth or less-ringy orange peel), so any beamshot from a P- or L- putting out ~50 lumens is what the P3D looks like on medium.

I have a setting on my older Jetbeam (which has a nearly identical beam profile) that is about 50 lumens which I use ceiling bounce often, I would compare the ambient light level to that of a small nightstand lamp, not quite 15 watts.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
any beamshot from a P- or L- putting out ~50 lumens is what the P3D looks like on medium.

I have a Fenix LD10 that has a reported medium setting of 47 lumens. Could I safely expect the P3D to be brighter than that on medium then given that the both are the same diameter, use the same reflector and same Q5 emitter?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I have a Fenix LD10 that has a reported medium setting of 47 lumens. Could I safely expect the P3D to be brighter than that on medium then given that the both are the same diameter, use the same reflector and same Q5 emitter?

The difference in output between the two would be well under 10%, meaning they would look identical to the eye, even when ceiling bounced.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Edit: Before the math nazis find me, the aforementioned difference on medium between your two lights is almost exactly 10%, but this is the difference needed before you can just barely/kinda sorta notice a difference with a ceiling bounce; the beam profiles would still look the same. The Vf/manufacturing differences between lights can be up to 10% anyway, so it's within a margin of error.

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
Just tried both a LD10(clip) and P3D on medium.

Any difference in brightness looking at the beam is not really noticeable as the beams are quite different, but bouncing, the P3D is noticably brighter.

(LD 10 on new lithium energiser and P3D on old CR123s)

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Any difference in brightness looking at the beam is not really noticeable as the beams are quite different,

How would you characterise the difference in the beams? Are both lights using the Orange Peel reflectors?

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
P3D is a deep OP with a vague hotspot whereas the LD10 is a much shallower OP and has a defined Hot spot.

I also have a PD20 smo and if i were in the market for just one Fenix it would have to be an older PD30 in smo

Latest posts