Law Enforcement flashlight - newbie here.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I've been perusing this site for a couple of days in search for a flashlight that I can carry on my duty belt for work. Didn't realize there were so many enthusiasts for flashlights. Money is not a factor in my decision, only size and durability. I've been looking at the Arc LSH-P and Surefire L1 or L4. It seems as if they are best candidates (not sure which one is brighter: arc or L1). But battery life is a concern because I'll be using these lights 3-4 days/week, approx 1 hour per day; I guess the L4 would be out of the question. I'm thinking about the Arc with the AA tail cap. I guess I'll just use NiMH batteries, since the lithium WILL become expensive if I'm using 2 batteries a week. The AA batteries will not be as bright as the lithium???

What do you guys think??? I have a streamlight SL-20X for my traffic stops and building searches in the trunk.
BTW, the light needs to have a click switch, so no mini-maglite.

TIA

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Two SF123A's per week is $2.50.
For me, that's one less beer.

It sounds like you've talked yourself into the NiMH AA ArcLS combination.

Have you read that the L4 can be powered by LiIon rechargeable batteries?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome.
rechargeable lithiums??? are those AA or 123a's??? where should i look for those??

I would love to get the L4 with rechargeables.
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It sounds like you've talked yourself into the NiMH AA ArcLS combination.

Have you read that the L4 can be powered by LiIon rechargeable batteries?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ducati,

Welcome to CPF. You're in the right place. I'm under the impression that LEOs use rechargeables for duty, because they like the brighter lights and because the useage of lithiums can get expensive, if you calculate exactly what you'll need. The M4, for example, could run 4 to 8 batteries per hour of on time.

If so, you may want to look at what Surfire has in rechargeables: 8NX, 8AX, 9AN, and 10X. There are other rechargeables, like Tigerlight, Magcharger, and Stinger, but I believe they're small-time compared with SureFire.

Paul

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Ducati

I have the Arc LSH-P and use both 123A and the Powerex AA Nimh 2200 Mah. I can't see a differance between the two in terms of brightness. I get about twice the burn time using the AA power pack over the 123As. Good luck with your search and I hope this helps.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Here in this LED forum is a thread about using Pila LithiumIon rechargeable batteries to power the L4.

LiIon is about the same type used by Sony (etc) in cameras and laptops etc. We have a forum here on CPF for people interested in batteries where I'm sure you can learn more about them in detail.

Al

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The ARC LSH-P with AA is a great light, nice & white.
The LSH-P is my favorite, but I use it with one 123.
The L4 is brighter, but it is a 5 watt & the others are 1
watt. The ARC LSH-P seems brighter than the L1, but they
are both 1 watt. You might also want to check out the Kl1.
You can use the MINI-M*G with a clickie switch, just see
The Sandwich Shoppe in the Main Index. You can convert
a MINI-M*G to a one watt luxon.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that sounds like a mighty fine beer (if consumed at home).. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously... I'd recommend for Ducucati to drop MrBulk an e-mail as they are both LEO's and will be better able to understand what's needed from the get-go.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, thanx for your input. I think I'll go with the surefire L1 or L4(if someone has these in stock) and use rechargeable lithiums (copia or pila?? don't know where to buy these...)

are the madmax+/badboys equally as bright as the L1??

andybingley

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ducati welcome to CPF nice handle! by the way do you ride?

I have seen a lot on CPF re, the L4 but this seems to me to be cobbled together from bitsa spare parts. I do own an L1 and consider this a well thought out light. So it might be best to get one of these and wait for the fabled dimable 5 watt L2 Lumamax!

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
hey, thanx for the welcome...i used to ride...but no Ducati..only hondas...not anymore though...too dangerous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a dimmable 5w L2 would be fantastic...i think the only reason I'm hesitant on the L4 is the lack of dimmability..
[ QUOTE ]
andybingley said:
Hi Ducati welcome to CPF nice handle! by the way do you ride?

I have seen a lot on CPF re, the L4 but this seems to me to be cobbled together from bitsa spare parts. I do own an L1 and consider this a well thought out light. So it might be best to get one of these and wait for the fabled dimable 5 watt L2 Lumamax!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
initially, i was looking into the inova but decided to buy a luxeon light...i know it's 3 times the price but i don't think the luxeon will cut it..not bright enough

[ QUOTE ]
Flow said:
What about an X5T? http://www.inovalight.com/site.html?X5-ov
Most of the review sites include it. It's small, built like a tank, and takes 2 123's but has great runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, my MadMax + MiniMag is brighter than my L1 or KL1/E2 combo and thrives on NIMH AA's. I got the MM500 + Kroll from Datzip and really like the combo. I also have a Brinkman Legend AA with a MM500 and it comes with a clickie and lockout. Both the MadMax I recieved are brighter and whiter than my L1 or KL1's.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
hey, how do i acquire this "MM500 + Kroll"?? what is Datzip??? i'd love to get a minimag and use my NiMH...
[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' said:
Welcome to CPF, my MadMax + MiniMag is brighter than my L1 or KL1/E2 combo and thrives on NIMH AA's. I got the MM500 + Kroll from Datzip and really like the combo. I also have a Brinkman Legend AA with a MM500 and it comes with a clickie and lockout. Both the MadMax I recieved are brighter and whiter than my L1 or KL1's.

[/ QUOTE ]

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ducati said:
Hello all. I've been perusing this site for a couple of days in search for a flashlight that I can carry on my duty belt for work. Didn't realize there were so many enthusiasts for flashlights. Money is not a factor in my decision, only size and durability. I've been looking at the Arc LSH-P and Surefire L1 or L4. It seems as if they are best candidates (not sure which one is brighter: arc or L1). But battery life is a concern because I'll be using these lights 3-4 days/week, approx 1 hour per day; I guess the L4 would be out of the question. I'm thinking about the Arc with the AA tail cap. I guess I'll just use NiMH batteries, since the lithium WILL become expensive if I'm using 2 batteries a week. The AA batteries will not be as bright as the lithium???

What do you guys think??? I have a streamlight SL-20X for my traffic stops and building searches in the trunk.
BTW, the light needs to have a click switch, so no mini-maglite.

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

Ducati,

Here is one of the Pila threads. Madecov is the LEO who first brought our attention to these products.

PILA

Brightnorm

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Ducati;
To get MadMax + Q3 or a BadBoy 400 Q3L or a BadBoy 500 & a
Kroll switch (AKA clickie) just go to the Home Page on this
Forum & scroll down to The Sandwich Shoppe. Then you will find all the info. you need. I also recomend the $1.50
replacement lens. These are the products that will make
your MINI-M*G into a better light than you ever dreamed
it could be!!! I have a MadMax + Q3 & 2 BadBoy 400 Q3L's.
The MadMax + Q3 is brighter on fresh battries.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
thanx.
ok, this is what i have in my shopping cart:
(1) MM-ADJ Adjustable Flashlight Sandwich Kit w/NX05 Optics & O-Ring Q3L LD $40.00
(1) Kroll Tailcap Switch $4.50
(1) Mineral Glass 22.5mm $1.50

- now all i need is a normal minimag lite, correct?
- is the badboy 500 better than the Madmax+ Q3?
- am i buying the madmax+ Q3 because i don't see a "+" symbol in the description.

sorry for all the dumb questions. i know nothing about LEDs except for the fact that our traffic signals are built with them.

thank you guys for all of your help...

*****EDIT*****
i just went to the new online store and it looks like the mm+q3 is out of stock. i wonder when they'll come in...

[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
Ducati;
To get MadMax + Q3 or a BadBoy 400 Q3L or a BadBoy 500 & a
Kroll switch (AKA clickie) just go to the Home Page on this
Forum & scroll down to The Sandwich Shoppe. Then you will find all the info. you need. I also recomend the $1.50
replacement lens. These are the products that will make
your MINI-M*G into a better light than you ever dreamed
it could be!!! I have a MadMax + Q3 & 2 BadBoy 400 Q3L's.
The MadMax + Q3 is brighter on fresh battries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Ducati;
Yes all you need now is a MINI-M*G.
I don't have a BadBoy 500 so I can't say for sure. The
BB500 is not available with the Q3. The Q3 is a hand
picked white luxeon. I would say you have just what you
want.
Yes, I think you have ordered a MadMax + Q3. The Sandwich
Shoppe only has the MadMax + and the MadMax + Q3 on their
site now. You said you have the Q3. The site says
"Madmax Plus Module Kit Q3 (out of stock, more coming)".
I read somewhere the Q3's are due in 7/7/03.
Ya did good! Enjoy.

The Yeti

Newly Enlightened
All of these go in or on a MINI-M*G light.
The madmax is a semi current regulated voltage step-up adapter. Semi regulated meaning that it will go down in light output as the batteries run low instead of just getting very dark. He also sells the BadBoy.

The badboy is a constant current adapter, and will kill a set of batteries in under 2 hours, but during that time it will put out the same amount of light at the end as it did at the start.

The Kroll is a tail switch so you can flash signals or lock the light on. It is preferred for weapon light holds, as you can easily turn the light on when you want to.

Dat2Zip's site is http://www.anlighten.com/shop/

------------------------------------------------------------

All of those lights have been small, you may also want to take a look at elektrolumens, and inretech. They both sell some very nice larger lights. If you are used to wearing a mag on your belt, you should know that you can just replace the lens assembly with a 3*5 watt assembly from inretech for and insane ammount of light. elektrolumens has the option for an enlarged head on their lights for dual purpose increased duribility when using it like a club, and allowing it to hang from the mag belt loop.

elektrolumens also has a popular light called the Blaster VI which uses 6 AA batteries, and lasts about 2 hours powering a tightly focused 5 watt light. The advantage here is that it can run off of either 3 lithiums for that emergency light, or any AA cells.

http://www.inretech.com/
http://elektrolumens.com/

Elektrolumens Testimonials:
http://elektrolumens.com/Testimonials.html