Quark AA² problem - Flashing

warrie87

Newly Enlightened
Hello Guys,

today i got my brand new Quark AA² Tactical. Great Flashlight but i got a problem.

The two modes i saved with that UI are LOW and MAX

But sometimes when i use the lower modes, it flashes me for about half a second on max output. If i got high mode on, turn light off, switch to low and turn it on it seems to 100% flashing me. If i just keep it on LOW and turn it off an on it does not do that.

Even if i put it on LOW-mode, turn it off an wait 2-3 minutes and turn it back on (did not do anything with the head while waiting) it flashes me sometimes too.

What does happen here? It seems that the light activates maximum mode and then switching to lower. Its not that bad but if you only need LOW or Moonlight mode because its very dark this short flash is blinding me for a while.

Is there anything i can do?

Thanks for your help

warrie87

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, it should be the preflash then. Okay seems that i have to accept it.

Does any1 have the technical knowlegde to explain why this happens?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a capacitor being fully loaded and charged while on HI , and then it drains off and stabilizes when you engage "low". (even 30 minutes later) It's common on a lot of lights . (capacitors store hi voltage)
(capacitors are why working on old TV sets can KILL you, if you don't know what you're doing.)

Last edited:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
lol yea, the preflash can be annyoing but everytime i switch to low, i always cover the head or point it away from my view or turn my head before i turn it on...i've gotten use to it...

i dont know why it happens, but it happend on some of my other lights...like the fenix p2d CE, every! time u turn it on in general mode it'd have a preflash...oh well lol cant have everything, and nothing is perfect =]

warrie87

Newly Enlightened
Alright thanks guys. I can live with that. Otherwise its a great flashlight!

Just wondered because this is my first quality led flashlight.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
It will only happen if you use high then low. If you plan on using your flashlight a lot on low, then set the primary mode to low and you will only experience preflash when you use the high.

warrie87

Newly Enlightened
I made some test and its defenitly not only flashing if i change from high to low.

1st mode is Medium and the second mode (lose head) its on maximum.

And even on medium i get flashed everytime. Yesterday i tried to wait about 1 hour but still flashing. Even if i put it on Medium and turn the light off, wait all night and turn it on medium it still preflashed without putting it on max 1st.

Seems it has nothing to do with previous "setting" and wait time. Mine flashes nearly everytime. If i switch quickly on and off it only flashes at the 1st time. Need to wait some minutes before it preflashes again.

Is that still normal?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to say... I don't have mine set up that way.

I have mine on Med with the head loosened, and max with the head tightened. I can turn mine on and off on Med (head loosened) as many times as I care to, and it will never preflash. If I use max, turn off the light, then turn med on, it will sometimes preflash.

I'll reprogram mine and see if I get the results you're seeing.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just reprogrammed mine, and it works the same way. I only get preflash on med if I use max beforehand.

I was incorrect! (I know, it's a great surprise) :naughty:

I tested this a while longer today, and I found that if I have the light programmed as you do, and I leave it sitting for a couple of minutes, it will always preflash on medium. That is, if medium is set with the head tight.

If medium is set with the head loose and max is set with the head tight, it will only preflash on med if I have used max prior to using medium. It will never preflash on medium unless max is used prior with this setup.

I hope that makes sense....

Last edited: