LED with momentary switch

XD40

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie on the forum, so my apologies in advance for any forum faux pas.

I recently bought a Fenix PD30, which was my first LED 'tactical' flashlight for home defense situations.

Only after I received it did I realize that the PD30 does not have a 'momentary' switch like a mag lite. Besides the switch only having a click-on, click-off design, the switch is not terribly easy to push quickly--I have to get my thumb in the right position in the center of the switch.

I really like everything else about the PD30, but the switch is a deal killer for me given its intended purpose. (I'm clearly learning!)

What brands of similar small, very bright, LED flashlights would you recommend that have a large, easily accessible momentary switch? I want to be able to easily depress and release the switch to get a single quick flash of light, just like a mag light switch.

(I did a search for momentary switch, but got alot of results on people looking for just the switch as a part. If there is already a thread on this topic, I'm happy to go review it.)

UPDATE: Per the post below, I think I would prefer something that uses CR123 batteries. I also have a StreamLight TLR-2, so along with the Fenix, I keep a dozen CR123 batteries around.

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
You are looking for a "momentary on" switch; you will find these often referred to as "forward clicky" as opposed to the "reverse clicky" found on your PD30.

Also, do you have any preferences for battery types? That might help for people to make suggestions for you.

For a "tactical" light, I like my Eagletac P100A2 which uses 2 AA batteries. It has a sibling, the P100C2 which uses 2 CR123 batteries.

There is also the Jetbeam III-M which is a very nice light, though maybe a bit on the big side for you. I believe it takes 2 CR123 batteries, or one 18650 li-ion rechargeable.

There are certainly more, but I'll let others pitch in with further advice.

XD40

Newly Enlightened
Excellent, thanks for the info and terminology. I'll check out Eagletac.

I looked at SureFire, and based on a quick glance, I saw they have a model (C2 LED Centurion) that has a switch that was ONLY momentary on. Apparently you twist it to keep it on. I didn't know such a switch was available, but I suppose that design would be fine for me, and might actually be better, as it would prevent me from accidentally pushing the switch completely on when I didn't intend to.

You are looking for a "momentary on" switch; you will find these often referred to as "forward clicky" as opposed to the "reverse clicky" found on your PD30.

Also, do you have any preferences for battery types? That might help for people to make suggestions for you.

For a "tactical" light, I like my Eagletac P100A2 which uses 2 AA batteries. It has a sibling, the P100C2 which uses 2 CR123 batteries.

There is also the Jetbeam III-M which is a very nice light, though maybe a bit on the big side for you. I believe it takes 2 CR123 batteries, or one 18650 li-ion rechargeable.

There are certainly more, but I'll let others pitch in with further advice.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you are correct XD40 there are true momentary switches. They're essentially spring loaded twisty switches and are the best most reliable simple switching mechanism available. They are neither reverse nor forward clicki, as they do not click. The M@glite has a forward clickie switch as Hack On Wheels already stated.

Eagletac lights often use forard clickie switches. Lumapower also uses a lot of forward switches. Dereelight uses forward clickie switches. The Fenix Tactical series also uses them for example TK21. And there are many other brands that now use them too. A couple years back everyone only used cheap reverse clickies, luckily now there are many options for both kinds. There are still few options for true momentary switches though. And there are a couple other switch types out there now aw well.

Keep doing your research and you'll get your brain wrapped around most of it eventually.
:)

dodge_911

Newly Enlightened
How about ITP's line of C*T lights?
C6T/C7T/C8T/C9T?
C7 & C8 are battery powered, and I own both. Also have the C7R and C8R, but like the tactical clicky much better, although those lights have fewer modes.

XD40

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac lights often use forard clickie switches. Lumapower also uses a lot of forward switches. Dereelight uses forward clickie switches. The Fenix Tactical series also uses them for example TK21. And there are many other brands that now use them too.

Keep doing your research and you'll get your brain wrapped around most of it eventually.
:)

Thanks for the info on the Fenix tactical models. I ignored Fenix at first because I thought all of their switches were the same. (another bad assumption on my part, still learning)

After reading some mediocre reviews of the EagleTac models, I went with the Fenix TK11 R2 since I do really like the PD30 other than the switch. (I couldn't find the TK21 listed on their site).

The TK11 R2 appears to be what I want Ordered it through some company via Amazon, so should be here in a week.

Thanks all! :twothumbs

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Quark Tactical 123x2 it's about the same size as your PD30 and you can program two modes to what output you want rather easily and change between modes with a head twist. Also has a forward momentary clicky. It's very bright to :)

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEAK LED SOLUTIONS has an extensive line of lights in various formats. Its keychain lights come in two versions: either with a simple lug, or with a removable keychain post that can be replaced with its ingenious momentary switch.

IMG0007.jpg

Peak El Capitan AA/14500 Keychain/Momentary body

The spring-loaded momentary switch does not click on or off - it is a very simple device that allows current to flow when depressed. It is completely silent. The operating button is wide and beefy and available in either brass or stainless. This switch can be used with Peak twisty lights in 10280, AAA/10440, 2AAA, AA/14500/14250, 2AA, RCR-123, and a handful of others. I find this switch ideal for my most common uses - for more extended use just twist the head.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't forget the LiteFlux LF3XT and LF2XT which can both be set up for momentary activation. These run on 1 CR123 and 1 AAA and may not have the output you want.

Geoff

XD40

Newly Enlightened
couldn't XD40 just pick up one of these and then have a momentary light?

Interesting. It says that it fits the PxD models, but doesn't mention the "PD" models. Do the PxD models have the same switch size / configuration as the PD models?

se4g4e

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. It says that it fits the PxD models, but doesn't mention the "PD" models. Do the PxD models have the same switch size / configuration as the PD models?
I hope someone answers this question, as I also have a PD30 I'd like to convert to forward-clicky and was wondering if that switch would work.

XD40

Newly Enlightened
I hope someone answers this question, as I also have a PD30 I'd like to convert to forward-clicky and was wondering if that switch would work.

I have ordered the TK11 R2, so when it arrives I'll check the dimensions at least and see if it appears to at least be physically compatible, and perhaps take some pics. (assuming the TK11 uses the exact same switch they are selling separately)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those switches should be the same P3D or PD30 it should work, the hard part is getting the tailcap apart on the PD30.

The P3D and other older Fenix's were very simple but now they put so much glue in the tailcap around retaining ring threads you will have to boil it or something, and good luck with that.

se4g4e

Newly Enlightened
Those switches should be the same P3D or PD30 it should work, the hard part is getting the tailcap apart on the PD30.

The P3D and other older Fenix's were very simple but now they put so much glue in the tailcap around retaining ring threads you will have to boil it or something, and good luck with that.
Actually I've already had the tailcap apart on my PD30, just to see what was in there. It came apart nice and easy, once I realized it was a left hand thread :duh2:. It didn't have any glue or loctite on the threads at all.

Think I'll go ahead and order one of those switches and give it a try.

XD40

Newly Enlightened
Actually I've already had the tailcap apart on my PD30, just to see what was in there. It came apart nice and easy, once I realized it was a left hand thread :duh2:. It didn't have any glue or loctite on the threads at all.

Think I'll go ahead and order one of those switches and give it a try.

What type of tool did you use to unscrew the tailcap insert? Is there a tool designed to fit in those two holes in the aluminum ring, or did you have to rig something up?

se4g4e

Newly Enlightened
What type of tool did you use to unscrew the tailcap insert? Is there a tool designed to fit in those two holes in the aluminum ring, or did you have to rig something up?
Skinny needlenose pliers work perfectly:

Needlenose.jpg

I ordered the tactical switch from 4Sevens. I'll post a report once I get it installed.

XD40

Newly Enlightened
Skinny needlenose pliers work perfectly

I ordered the tactical switch from 4Sevens. I'll post a report once I get it installed.

Very cool, thanks. I look forward to hearing if the switch works!