Colour Correction

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
Firstly, thanks for running and attending this forum. Its a great guide for newbies and old hands alike.

I have been told that the new LED headlights for cars have colour correction. Is that available in LED flashlights. My DBS is great, but its even better if you are colourblind. I'm not:naughty:

Thanks

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked up color correction.. I'm guessing you mean filters? some of use use stage lighting gels for color correction.. We cut out circles and put them in the light :)

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
No. I'm learning on the run here, but I've been told that they have software that ends up making the light put out a more visible spectrum of light than a "normal" LED.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm.. software?

did not know that.
perhaps the car headlights have multiple color LEDs and the software is adjusting, say, a LED led in the light for better color rendition?

do you have an article, link somewhere?

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
hmm.. software?

did not know that.
perhaps the car headlights have multiple color LEDs and the software is adjusting, say, a LED led in the light for better color rendition?

do you have an article, link somewhere?

I don't know how they are doing it. Asking if any of the boffins here know. Your theory sounds plausible though. Having a small array of LEDs is not conducive to a good beam of a flashlight though?

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean.. RED LED.

yeah.. multiple LEDs aren;t the best solution.

can anyone chime in?

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm interested in lights that give better definition to wild life at night so I can see 'em better. From what I understand so far, lower temp LEDs give better definition but are not as bright (IE. Less Lumen). Also, I have been told the Nichia 083 183 LED gives great colour rendition, but I'm not sure just how many Lumen can be squeezed out of it.

Any ideas.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated in your other thread (and the thread I linked to in your other thread), the Nichia 183s, but again as stated, they're pretty much impossible to find. If I were you, I'd go with the SSCs unless you've got some good connections with Nichia or a company that uses their LEDs.

Edit: If you want to wait, there may be high CRI SST-90s coming out mid/late 2010, but I'm unsure on the efficiency of those, and whether you'll want to carry around a sufficiently large power source for it.

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: If you want to wait, there may be high CRI SST-90s coming out mid/late 2010, but I'm unsure on the efficiency of those, and whether you'll want to carry around a sufficiently large power source for it.
I'm unsure on the efficiency too, but vs. the other LEDs being discussed here, it must be significantly improved at the same drive levels due to the large die area -- there's simply no good way to lose that much inherent efficiency edge while improving CRI.

As for power source, that's not an issue -- if you're happy with, say, a P4's output at one amp, you should be even happier with an SST-90 at 1A, since it'll be brighter. Of course, you can always see farther if you can drive it harder, so larger batteries may make sense than did before, but any satisfactory power source will still perform at least as good.

The issue that may give some trouble carrying it around is the 3x wider optics (reflector or lens) needed to get the same beam out of a 3x wider LED, all else being equal... makes an aspheric, which gives more throw in any given installation, a very sensible option to recover nearly the same throw as a good reflector in the same diameter, IMHO -- I'd frost a ring around the outside of a big aspheric if I was concerned about spill.

deerndingo

Newly Enlightened
I'm unsure on the efficiency too, but vs. the other LEDs being discussed here, it must be significantly improved at the same drive levels due to the large die area -- there's simply no good way to lose that much inherent efficiency edge while improving CRI.

As for power source, that's not an issue -- if you're happy with, say, a P4's output at one amp, you should be even happier with an SST-90 at 1A, since it'll be brighter. Of course, you can always see farther if you can drive it harder, so larger batteries may make sense than did before, but any satisfactory power source will still perform at least as good.

The issue that may give some trouble carrying it around is the 3x wider optics (reflector or lens) needed to get the same beam out of a 3x wider LED, all else being equal... makes an aspheric, which gives more throw in any given installation, a very sensible option to recover nearly the same throw as a good reflector in the same diameter, IMHO -- I'd frost a ring around the outside of a big aspheric if I was concerned about spill.

Benson,
Thanks for your input. It was more of what I need. The P4 I'm talking about is 5W, Q5, 250Lm, 32mm head x 110mm long, aspherical lensed and run on 3 AAAs. Its made by EDI-T.

The more I get back, the more I find that the performance I'm after (200Lm) is not out there yet in CRI LEDs.

Would you agree?

Latest posts