New Maratac AA

adnj

Enlightened
I thought this was the old CC Maratac AA but it looks to be the same size as the Quark MiNi AA (probably with less output after looking at the emitter and lumen specs). Also has a L/M/H twisty interface with no strobe. Priced at $29.

With the output levels at 1.5/18/85 this has a lower low too. Now the question is what are the OTF lumens?

Maratac AA

Last edited:

emzimmerman

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Maratac AA $29

Looks nice.

Wonder if they'll put out a polished stainless steel like the AAA?

I'll still probably buy this one before Christmas.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a great light for the price if it's anything like my Maratac AAA. The new L-M-H sequence proves that they listen to users.

I am still gonna wait for the new Zebralight flashlight. It's gonna be more expensive than this light, but I want and need the awesome UI and side click switch.

Last edited:

Flic

Enlightened

Given the veritable flood of variants on the AAA light (natural, black, SS, polished SS, iTP single mode, iTP upgraded, iTP in colours, SS and Ti, Olight Ti, Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi), I think I'll wait for the dust to settle before making a buying decision on the AA. Sure is appealing though.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems like the Maratac version of the iTP A2 EOS, except the Maratac seems to run longer on low.

I have an A2 EOS already on the way.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Looks like another winner from Maratac, though when you figure in shipping there's not much difference from a Quark Mini AA. Decisions, decisions.

Geoff

adnj

Enlightened

Given the veritable flood of variants on the AAA light (natural, black, SS, polished SS, iTP single mode, iTP upgraded, iTP in colours, SS and Ti, Olight Ti, Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi), I think I'll wait for the dust to settle before making a buying decision. Sure is appealing though.

Just to clarify, this is not an AAA light but the bigger AA format.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, sweet find!

I wouldn't mind seeing an R5 version but whatev's. That 100 hour low mode is very enticing.

HarveyRich

Enlightened

I like the knurling over the new itP A2. However, CountyComm still charges $8.75 for shipping, which makes it almost $11 more expensive than the itP for basically the same circuitry. Too bad, or I might have bitten.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the knurling over the new itP A2. However, CountyComm still charges $8.75 for shipping, which makes it almost $11 more expensive than the itP for basically the same circuitry. Too bad, or I might have bitten.

Damn, forgot about the shipping. Good point.

Also the ITP still has a way better keyring attachment pointo IMO.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Hello guys. I thought I'd post a few pictures and initial thoughts about the Maratac AAA.

MaratacAA001picasaedit.jpg

Arrived in a large UPS envelope enclosed in a nice plastic tube, with description and instructions wrapped around the light.

MaratacAA002picasaedit.jpg

The LED is described as a XR-E Q5 but appears to be a XP-E. Finish is a silver/natural HA.

MaratacAA003picasa.jpg

It appears to just be a scaled up version of the AAA light with larger, stronger, removable pocket clip and key ring/lanyard attachment.

MaratacAA004picasa-1.jpg

Size comparison to the AAA light. You can see the difference in HA color as well. This AA light is so "silver" that it could be mistaken for a bead blasted SS until you picked it up. I prefer the olive color of the AAA light but at the same time I like variety and so I appreciate the variation. County Comm lists this light as under 3" but even with the battery removed and head screwed all the way down it measures 3.08" Not a big difference but it is just over 3" not under.

At this time County's AA Maratac page states that the "10440 is not recommended." Obviously they meant to say 14500 but technically neither would be recommended...lol. I've tried 3 battery chemistrys thus far and all work great. The L91 Lithium is the brightest and my favorite so far. As many of you know I use 10440's in the AAA light almost exclusively and will likely be running this AA light on a 14500 myself. I'll get some output tests running by this evening hopefully.

MaratacAA005picasa.jpg

One thing that I immediately noticed was the perfectly centered emitter. This is a pretty big deal for me and technically speaking it's more important to have it centered well on this larger reflector than the AAA light where the reflector centering isn't so critical. Kudos to County Comm for getting this right! Additionally the reflector is seating perfectly symmetrical behind the lens/window. Another thumbs up to County for nailing this fit. I hope all the AA lights have the same fit and finish as mine does. The beam is very much tighter on the AA compared to the AAA. The hot spot is brighter and smaller and I hope to capture pictures of this later as well. This is a conventional 3 mode. 1.5 / 18 / 85 lumens for runtime of 100 / 7 / 2 hours. That concludes my thoughts for now, but thanks County Comm for continuing to bring us incredibly high quality and highly useful lights at excellent prices. You guys rock! ... so keep up the great work. Special thanks to Nick at CC for working with CPF members and hearing our ideas.

Last edited:

madmook

Newly Enlightened

Not as floody, eh?

Thanks for the pics and impressions, Patriot.

IceRat

Newly Enlightened

I wish they came up with a better way to put it on my keys. I am not a big fan of the wire ring thingy. Mine spins around on my AAA and I don't even use it.

Patriot

Flashaholic

I wish they came up with a better way to put it on my keys. I am not a big fan of the wire ring thingy. Mine spins around on my AAA and I don't even use it.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that issue with the AA light. Due to the up-scaling of the parts and the inherent increases in tension, this ring isn't going anywhere and doesn't rotate. The pocket clip can be rotated but again, because it's larger and there's more tension and friction it's harder to move.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for that nice review Patriot. Good work. :thumbsup:
Awaiting for beamshots to compare with her AAA sister.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Super nice, thanks Patriot!

I am swimming in lights right now... but am tempted...

This vs. the Quark MiNi AA? Hmm... pretty much same price when shipping is factored in... Hmmm!

Patriot

Flashaholic

I almost forgot to mention the best part.

The PWM is much faster and is imperceptible in actual use.

Although I do not know the actual rate, I'm guessing that it's somewhere between 4X - 8X faster than the AAA Maratac.

Woohoo!! County Comm knocks another one out of the ball park! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Another thing that I completely forgot to mention was the change from med/low/high over to low/med/high. A while back there was a CPF poll thread discussion IU and low/med/high won hands down. County Comm heard you guys!

Last edited: