SF Outdoorsman???s

LEFTY870

Newly Enlightened
OK, I was wondering what is the beamshot and output of the "OUTDOORSMAN" compared to a 3D MAGLITE.

I was wanting to get one of these as a backup/offduty light. I was wanting something with a better battery life than the E2 and though this would be it. Or am I pipedreaming?

Please help, LEFTY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The outdoorsman has a longer run time than the E2E, but the
main difference as I see it is the pocket clip is longer.
You can put either of the lamps in the E2e or the
outdoorsman. I would say make your choice of which pocket
clip you want, the E2e's pocket clip is shorter. The E2e
comes with the brighter lamp. It is easer to change the
lamps than the pocket clip. You can also get a KL1 head
for a longer runtime than you would with the dimmer lamp.
The KL1 is a 1 watt LED(just in case you didn't know).
The KL1 is 17 lumens, the MN02 lamp is 25 lumens & the
mn03 lamp is 60 lumens. Someone correct me if I'm off
here, but I think the kind of answer you are looking for
is the KL1 & the mn02 are closer to a 2D light but with a
better beam (smoother). The mn03 blows away a 3D m*G.
No you're not pipe dreaming you are on the right track.
I know the MN03 blows away the 3D & the MN02 might. I have
just never used a MN02 so I don't know. Maybee someone
that has will answer this for you. I know once you use the
MN03 you won't go back, you'll just get cheap battries
online!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I will probably open up a can of worms by making this statement but I really dont see a need for the Outdoorsman as a seperate product! The E2e is the Outdoorsman before the substitution of the longer M2 clip and the mn02 for the mn03.

The E2e is now being usurped as a stand alone product by the addition of either the KL1 or KL4 LED bezels and now offers considerably more benefits than it did in its incandescent form. The E1e offers the same performance as the Outdoorsman except for runtime.

Having said all of that and until KL4's reach the UK
and I can evaluate its potential I still carry the E2e with the mn03. As a multi purpose flashlight/duty light this combination is hard to beat. The service Maglight I am issued with is now used only as a backup and then only if nothing better is available.

Doug

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
The E1e offers the same performance as the Outdoorsman except for runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The knurling is more aggressive on the E20, too.

LEFTY870

Newly Enlightened
What I'm asking is if the OUTDOORSMAN has the same whatever as the 3D!

I have a XT STINGER that is my primary light for on duty. What I'm looking for is an offduty/backup light that will putout almost the same whatever and be small enough to fit in my pocket with my MULTI TOOL when I'm in civies.

LEFTY

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Outdoorsman will throw a beam as far as a 3D mag can. But because the Outdoorsman doesn't have the MN03 bulb (as found in the E2/e), its brightness is similar to that of the new mag bulbs; although the Outdoorsman won't be able to flood like the mag can... And at 2.5 hours of runtime, the E2O (with its MN02 25 lumens bulb) will run about 1.25 hours longer than the E2/e (with the MN03 60 lumens bulb).

Hope that helps a little...

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. I carry an E2O all the time and prefer the MN02 to either the E1 MN01 or the E2 MN03 and I prefer the longer clip. Actually the output is close to the 3C mMag I keep for sentimental reasons, it was my first real flashlight given to me by my dad in when I was in Jr. High. I also like the E1E and it has about the same output as a 2D Mag and if you haven't seen or held one you won't believe how small they are. Your best bet is to locate someone or store with these lights and hold them, compare and them make your choice.
I also carry an LED light or 2 but don't use my KL1's as I like "WHITE" light and neither of my KL1's are WHITE, they're violet and blue.