JetBeam RRT0 prot ckt workaround found

richied

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I recently bought the JetBeam RRT0 and ran into the protection circuit issue with primary cr123 batteries. I was thinking of returning the light. My situation was a bit worst case, the light would only turn on in the low low 1 lumen mode, so "conditioning" the battery would probably take hours and hours. I tried something as an experiment and it seems to have worked with 6 batteries now. When first inserted the light only comes on in 1 lumen mode. I remove the battery, reinsert it BACKWARDS, click the switch on and rotate the control ring full cycle. Of course the light does not power on. When you remove and re-insert the battery the correct way, it now seems to work in all modes. My guess is this resets the protection ckt somehow. I was wondering if some other RRT0 owners could try this to verify it works, like I said it worked with 6 surefire and one titanium primary cr123. I will next try a runtime test with an rcr123(AW) since I also only got about 12 min before the protextion ckt engaged...I wonder if this workaround will allow a longer run. Also, I did a few informal runtime tests with AA batteries. I got over an hour on full with energizer primary lithiums, about 35 minutes with a Duracell precharged rechargeable battery, right out of the package(rebranded eneloop I read). rich

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe the RRT-0 has reverse polarity protection built in. I'm really surprised your light still works. I was under the impression that reverse polarity across an LED was pretty much instantly fatal (for said LED). Does the RRT-0 have some sort of hidden (non-mechanical) protection?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe the RRT-0 has reverse polarity protection built in. I'm really surprised your light still works. I was under the impression that reverse polarity across an LED was pretty much instantly fatal (for said LED). Does the RRT-0 have some sort of hidden (non-mechanical) protection?

Revers voltage across the led is no problem, but across the drive can easily fry most drives.

What probably happens is that the driver partial shorts the battery and this way eat some power, reducing the voltage. Not something I am going to do with my RRT-0, but then I am using LiIon anyway and am happy with the protection.

richied

Newly Enlightened
I think this might be whats going on, the light went back to flaky mode when I carried it on duty tonight...eventually started working properly again. I may ask for a refund, this feature really feels like a bug. I think they need a rcr123/cr123 mode manual switch of some sort
Revers voltage across the led is no problem, but across the drive can easily fry most drives.

What probably happens is that the driver partial shorts the battery and this way eat some power, reducing the voltage. Not something I am going to do with my RRT-0, but then I am using LiIon anyway and am happy with the protection.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
it sucks to hear things like this about Jetbeam, it my favorite brand.

Try the Nitecore Extreme, it's been tried and proven to be reliable.

Polklifer

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with my RRT-0. I put a primary in it when it arrived and it wouldn't leave the low mode. I tried a couple of different CR123's and got the same result. I finally got around to trying out the adaptor tube and it worked just fine on an AA. Also works with an RCR123.

This is a sweet little light but it appears to have a few bugs. I had three on order for Christmas presents but canceled the orders figuring that I couldn't expect non-flashaholics to fiddle with the lights as much as I will.

Looking forward to the next round from JetBeam. This is the first one of their products that I've owned and I like everything about it except for the battery issues.