Question about E2DL vs E1B Backup

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
I have an E2DL head on an E1E body, and I have been told that running this head with one cell wouldn't result in less output of light, but just shortened run time. I don't have a meter, but I feel like the head is substantially brighter with the E2DL body. Can someone confirm one or the other for me? I am a bit of a noob, sorry for the basic question. If it is dimmer, would an E1B Backup even be comparable to the E2DL with one battery? I didn't know if it would be more efficient because it's designed to run on one battery.

Final note...This light (E2DL with E1E body) just seems like it's not as bright as it used to be a year ago. I use it a lot and wonder if it's getting old? Or, is this just a case of addiction coming on? Am I ready to buy a new light? I think this is how I felt when I went from a 6P to the E1DL, so, that's probably the case! If it's just me getting used to it, I'm gonna have to buy a new light fast! :twothumbs

Thanks for the help!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL head is designed to run with 2 cells, and it will not be as bright running on only one.

Since the discontinuation of the KL1 in 2007, Surefire no longer makes LED heads designed to run with different battery configurations.

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
Since the discontinuation of the KL1 in 2007, Surefire no longer makes LED heads designed to run with different battery configurations.

So, it's just not optimal, but it works. That doesn't mean it's bad for the head to run it on one battery, does it? However, I would assume upping to 3 batteries would be a no-no, correct?

So, does anyone know approximately what kind on output the E2DL is getting with one battery like I have? If the E1B Backup is even close to what I am getting, I might get one!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2DL head won't light up at all on a single CR123A cell, at least not the partially used one that's in my E1L.

On a RCR123A Li-ion cell, it's slightly brighter than my L1, which means that it's slightly brighter than the E1B that I used to have.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I know thats what it is for sure.

I have a E1DL(aka a e2d led head, black e1e body and tailcap)

Works great, what a pocket rocket.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the two E2DL heads I have are about the same brightness even with IMR R123s in the E1e/b body. The only thing I see different is the bezel spikes but with such a small light I don't see it as being useful.

I just carry a E1B head on a E1E BK body with E2D tail cap and a E1B clip. Works great for my needs.

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
I'll confirm, I am using AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh batteries. I really don't think there is that big of a difference from using the E2DL body. It's definitely brighter, but it's hard to tell how much because I can't see them side by side, I have to switch the head back and forth. I wanted to take some beamshots last night to post here, but I didn't have time to set up for it. I'll try to do it tonight when it gets dark. I wish I had 2 E2DLs so I could just compare them side by side, but photos should do it justice.

I know thats what it is for sure.
I have a E1DL(aka a e2d led head, black e1e body and tailcap)
Works great, what a pocket rocket.

That's what I'm saying!

the two E2DL heads I have are about the same brightness even with IMR R123s in the E1e/b body. The only thing I see different is the bezel spikes but with such a small light I don't see it as being useful.

I just carry a E1B head on a E1E BK body with E2D tail cap and a E1B clip. Works great for my needs.

Do you mean your two heads are the same brightness as the E1B, or as each other? Is it possible that my setup would be brighter if I switched to IMR123? I might just give that a chance and order some.

Your combination sounds good, I might have to buy an E1B just to try it out. I really want an E1B clip anyway, it seems buying an E1B is the only way to actually get one! One questions though, why are you using the E1E body instead of the E1B body? Any advantages there?